PDA

View Full Version : Christmas gift ideas

Matt Allan
09-21-2004, 2:35 PM
Figured this year I wouldn't wait until the week before Christmas to get some gifts ready(I still will)

Wondering if anyone had any quick, nice woodworking gift ideas to give out. I like to make a batch of small gifts to give to some neighbors, friends, etc.. I have given boxes and such in the past but figure something else would be nice. I am not a turner so that is out.

I am having a hard time coming up with something that is small enough, but nice without being a huge project.

I am sure this thread could help a lot of us. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

matt

Michael Stafford
09-21-2004, 2:44 PM
Desk clocks are almost always well accepted and fun to make as are desk accessories. I'm making some desk clocks as we speak, er type. I have also made some nice letter openers for folks. Cutting boards are also usually received well. People usually appreciate any handmade gift. You can't go wrong.

Jim Ketron
09-22-2004, 12:26 AM
I you have a Lathe these are easy and fun to make and they will use them almost everyday!
Jim

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/Atomizer_pencil_pen.sized.jpg

JOHN HANCOCK
09-22-2004, 1:13 AM
I made some candleholders out of salvaged 4X4 old growth doug fir. I didn't try to cut out the old nail holes and they added to its aged look. I got the idea from a friend who had made some from a sample he had seen for sale in Arizona. Taper the sides a little so it is wider at the top, drill holes with a forstner to hold tealight candles or a little bigger to hold some type of candle holder. I made mine big enough to hold glass holders that look like a large, thick shot glass. A light stain and satin poly finish gave it an aged look that set off the nail holes. I made several. They were quick and made a good table centerpiece for the holidays.

Mine were about 24" long but my friend made one out of a 6X6 beam that was about 5' long. It looked great as a centerpiece on a long table in his Arts and Crafts style house.

Matt Allan
09-22-2004, 5:14 PM
Wish I did have a lathe, lot of quick gift ideas then. Really like your pens, hope to some day get into it.

For now I like the clock idea mentioned above, I think that may be the way to go.. Now I just need to get some ideas on one to make.

Thanks

matt

Steve Beadle
09-22-2004, 6:01 PM
One simple project that makes a nice gift is a cookbook rack that will hold probably up to a dozen or so cookbooks. It has a sliding stop that adjusts to butt up against the line of books. You may have seen the project in one of the woodworking mags awhile back. I think they also put an applied wheat design on the ends, but you could use something different, or leave it blank.

Jim Becker
09-22-2004, 6:06 PM
Boxes are popular. And you could use my friend Joanne's great idea..."square bowls".