PDA

View Full Version : Sq nose scraper question

Paul Stroik
10-09-2009, 7:54 PM
After drilling a hole for ornaments, peppermill, etc. in the tail of the stock I occasionally find I need to make an interior shoulder or just widen the hole just a tad (1/32-3/32). Using a bowl gouge leaves a rounded interior. Using a skew is a bit challenging. Any suggestions for technique would be appreciated.
I've seen videos where the turner is using a scraper. So my questions are -

Would a square nose scraper be the answer? If so what size? And does brand really make a difference?

Paul

Ken Fitzgerald
10-09-2009, 8:03 PM
Paul,

A scraper can be the answer. I like extra heavy duty scrapers. They will be 3/8" thick or thicker. The more mass, the less chatter. I have a square scraper I use. Like any other tool they need to be sharp and the presentation is everything.

Paul Stroik
10-09-2009, 8:21 PM
Thanks for the info Ken. I just read up on sharpening the scraper. That is to diamond hone only the top edge. Is that correct. And does a scraper, like other new tools, need to be sharpened out of the box (New)?

Paul

Bernie Weishapl
10-09-2009, 8:31 PM
Paul on my ornaments I use a 1/4" square scraper. On openings such as a Hollow Form I use a 3/4" square scraper. I don't hone mine at all but guess you could. I find mine sharp enough right off the grinder. I set my platform at 20 degrees and sharpen then go straight to the work. Yes most all tools out of the box need to be sharpened.

Paul Stroik
10-09-2009, 9:34 PM
Appreciate the info. Sq. nose scraper is going to be ordered.

Paul