PDA

View Full Version : Puff ball

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-09-2009, 6:49 PM
No digital camera so ya gotta take my word.

I got one about 10" diameter. No slugs yet.

Never ate one. cut 'em open they looked like they'd sponge up all the oil I fried 'em in.

Bonnie Campbell
10-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Chunk it up then marinate it in olive oil with seasonings. I like them fried almost crisp. Best eating you'll have. Of course I suggest a nice juicy steak to go with it lol

Kev Godwin
10-10-2009, 12:02 AM
Cliff,
Don't let it go too long and you lose the quality by maturity and drying into spore production. At that size, I would harvest it and take it to the kitchen. They are absolutely wonderful.
Kev

Patrick Doody
10-12-2009, 3:10 PM
I've never eaten puffballs, but I love eating wild mushrooms, the puffball is on my list to try next season. these are some Chanterelles and Porcinis that we got on a recent camping trip up north. Porcini is my new favorite mushroom.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2616/3906217095_b6b7ba6f9d.jpg

I guess this would be in the "gloat" catagory :)

Alan Trout
10-12-2009, 3:43 PM
I saw my uncle harvest a puff ball in excess of 2' in diameter in the mountains of Oregon. We use to cut them in strips and fry them in butter. Them and morels make a pretty tasty meal. Not to much edible fungus in my neck of the woods. At least legal. :)

Alan

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-12-2009, 7:49 PM
I had to let it go.
The grand kids had not seen one that big and I wanted to let them have a look.

Now the skin has toughened over and the thing is losing water and turning.

Maybe next year.

John Shuk
10-12-2009, 9:05 PM
Haven't seen one yet this year. Usually I get a few in the yard.

Rick Moyer
10-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Maybe the answer is too complicated, but how does one know what wild mushrooms are edible and what should not be eaten? I like mushrooms but have always been afraid of picking something wild because of the possible issues.
btw, a mixture of button, portabella and shitake make a fantastic complement to a rare fillet!!!!!!

Bonnie Campbell
10-13-2009, 7:44 AM
Best bet (USUALLY), is to find someone that knows mushrooms. I avoid and 'button' or 'umbrella' types since they are hard to identify. Hubby told me we can eat any puff ball or oyster type found here, so I've stuck to them two types. Identifying unknowns involves checking spores, coloring, types.... etc. A lot to know if you're just a casual picker.

John Shuk
10-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Maybe the answer is too complicated, but how does one know what wild mushrooms are edible and what should not be eaten? I like mushrooms but have always been afraid of picking something wild because of the possible issues.
btw, a mixture of button, portabella and shitake make a fantastic complement to a rare fillet!!!!!!

Which is what I had for dinner last night. Bunch of oyster shrooms in there too. Cooked with courvaisier and heavy cream. Had a side of some greens from my garden that are delicious I just don't know what it is. The guy I got the plants from said it was Broccoli rabe but it is not. Boiled then dipped in cold water then saute with olive oil and garlic they taste great.
I too am afraid to pick and eat anything. I will probably eat a puffball one of these days as I am sure of what they are but won't go any farther than that. My father had a friend die from wild mushrooms and it was not pretty what so ever. Liver shut down and an agonizing few days before death. Not how I hope to go out.