PDA

View Full Version : Cutting boards, serving boards

Mike Minto
10-09-2009, 5:17 PM
Here is my latest flat work - 2 mostly identical cutting boards (one for the wife, one for the step-daughter) made from end grain hard maple and walnut, and 3 serving boards, from quarter sawn white oak. Finished with 2 coats of salad bowl finish. Enjoy! Mike

Brad Wood
10-10-2009, 8:55 AM
they are all very nice Mike. The grain in that oak is great

putting ends on the end grain is a nice touch too, I'm not sure I've seen that before

Brian Effinger
10-10-2009, 10:12 AM
They all look great, Mike, but I really like the subtle pattern in the end grain boards. Usually end grain boards have the high contrast woods, which I do like, but this is different and interesting.

John Thompson
10-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Nice build, Mike...

Mike Minto
10-11-2009, 8:02 PM
thanks for the kind words, all - i really enjoy showing off the fruits of my labor (read: obsession: woodworking). i'll take credit for the craftsmanship, such as it is, but will always pass on compliments about the beauty of the wood to mother nature. mike :)

Andrew Hughes
10-12-2009, 12:05 AM
I really like the two end grain boards.The oak ones a nice too.Have you considered the oak may show staining from a chefs knife?

John Keeton
10-12-2009, 7:00 AM
Great job, Mike, and as others have noted the QSWO is really nice! Time will tell, but i am wondering if the ends on the end grain boards may not move in unison with the end grain board - kind of like a breadboard end effect. Depending on how you joined the two, that may not cause a problem.

Mike Minto
10-16-2009, 3:11 PM
andrew, don't really know, hope it won't but it's ok with me if it does - au natural, you know? john, the walnut ends are end grain oriented like the rest of the board; here's hoping that everything moves (minimally) together, and stays together! mike

Todd Suire
11-13-2009, 5:50 PM
Mike,

Real nice work. How did you do the joins on the cutting boards; both the white oak pieces and the walnut ends?

Thanks,
Todd

Roy Wall
11-13-2009, 11:06 PM
Nice and clean........well done!

Jack Camillo
11-14-2009, 6:43 AM
Love the qswo items - practically Shaker simplicity and beauty. Well done.

I would only comment that maybe finger holes or cut-in for ease in handling might be useful on the larger item. Possibly even a hole large enough for all four fingers in one of the corners. But beautiful as they are, too.