PDA

View Full Version : Safety First

Scott Lux
10-09-2009, 5:05 PM
Since I am such a safety minded individual, I thought I'd ask a question before trying something.

I have a mini-lathe(Excelsior VS). The low-end speed is supposed to be 650rpm, although it is more like 770rpm. I don't even know what the high-end is. On the slowest belt setting the high-end is over 1300rpm.

I'd like to slow it down more. I want to change the gearing, because I know motors don't like to run too slow.

So here is my question: Can I make a pulley out of wood or HMWP?

Richard Madison
10-09-2009, 6:33 PM
Is there room to put a larger pulley on the spindle? Most lathes have a cover or limited clearance that prevents using a larger spindle pulley. One alternative is the use of a jackshaft, an auxiliary shaft that gives you another reduction step between the motor and spindle.

If the wood pulley can be as much as twice the size of the present one, so it would turn at maybe 350 rpm, should actually be feasible. Something in a nice stable hardwood like mesquite or ??

Scott Lux
10-11-2009, 6:48 PM
Thanks for the advice. There's no room on the spindle for a larger wheel. So I thought of a smaller one on the drive. As for the wood, I've got honeylocust available. Should be sufficient.