PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Tool Chest

Michael Stafford
09-21-2004, 2:09 PM
Attached are some photos of a Craftsman style tool chest that I made for my son for Christmas. You may recognize the plan as having been in Wood a year or two ago.
I did not have the QSRO/WO that the plan called for but I did have some beautiful Curly black cherry that my wife found at NC Hardwoods. My pictures do not do this gorgeous wood justice. The panels in the door and on the back of the case are all bookmatched although my pictures do not do a good job of showing this. There are at least 6 coats of finish on all surfaces( more on most) lovingly hand rubbed. My fingers hurt.
The drawers and tool tote are lined with heavy felt.

Jon Olson
09-21-2004, 2:14 PM
What an attractive design. it will be well received I'm sure. I really like the wood choice.
The pull out bottom tray is an added feature that is really nice but would never end up back in the cheat, due to my own uncleaness. ;)

Look great!!
Jon

Kevin Swindle
09-21-2004, 2:15 PM
Michael,
That is a truly beautiful tool chest. The figure of the cherry is awesome.

I like the hardware also. Where did you get it?

Michael Stafford
09-21-2004, 2:18 PM
The hardware is exactly what was called for in the Wood article. Lee Valley. They carry it in their hardware specialty catalog. Thanks for looking.

Byron Trantham
09-21-2004, 2:18 PM
Very nice! :D You really aren't going to put tools in that masterpiece? :confused:

Jim Becker
09-21-2004, 2:21 PM
Outstanding!! Worthy of tools or any other valuables, for sure...

Michael Stafford
09-21-2004, 2:23 PM
Byron, I am planning on filling it with tools that I have made. Over the years I ahve made quite a few small tools that I have seen in various mags. I have a scratch awl, square, scraper plane, beading plane, a couple of wooden mallets, and some other things that I want him to have. Nothing exciting I guess just some things that Dad made.

David Klug
Mike that isn't a tool box. That's a beautiful piece of furniture.

DK

Donnie Raines
Super cool!!!!...I would put that in my shop any day!!...can you make me one....????.... :rolleyes:

Byron Trantham
09-21-2004, 2:48 PM
Byron, I am planning on filling it with tools that I have made. Over the years I ahve made quite a few small tools that I have seen in various mags. I have a scratch awl, square, scraper plane, beading plane, a couple of wooden mallets, and some other things that I want him to have. Nothing exciting I guess just some things that Dad made.

Trust me; he will value them for a life time! :D

Dan Mages
09-21-2004, 2:51 PM
That is a tool chest?? I doubt that anyone would use it for tools.

Dan

Keith Christopher
09-21-2004, 3:26 PM
Outstanding work ! I would use something like that to store all my valuable and cherished hand planes, no chance of a hammer or something unelegant like that deserves such a house. :) Your son will love it always.

Tyler Howell
09-21-2004, 3:36 PM
Mike this is wonderful and we would love to see the great stuff going in it too:cool:

Jason Tuinstra
09-21-2004, 3:37 PM
Michael, after seeing this, my first question is, what is quarter sawn oak? :D That curly cherry looks fantastic!

My second question is, did you mean Christmas 2005 or 2004? I'm sure you meant 2004 because there's no way any woodworker could be that organized to have a present done for 2005. Right, help me out here. :p

Seriously, great job all the way around. Your son will be proud of you and proud for years to come when he says, "My dad made this for me!" Way to go! That's what it's all about.

Chris Padilla
09-21-2004, 3:41 PM
Michael,

Beautiful work...this is sure to be an heirloom passed down for many generations. Should have a rich dark look by then! :D

Shelley Bolster
09-21-2004, 3:58 PM
I agree with Chris - an heirloom, a tool chest I'm not so sure of but definately an heirloom!! Beautiful craftsmanship Michael! (like always)

Bruce Page
09-21-2004, 7:57 PM
Very nice!

Bob Marino
09-21-2004, 8:48 PM
Mike,

As other have said, terrific. Almost to nice for tools!

Bob

Mark Singer
09-22-2004, 12:01 AM
Michael,

Your work is excellent! I love it!

Jim Ketron
09-22-2004, 12:09 AM
WOW THATS NICE!!
Jim

JOHN HANCOCK
09-22-2004, 12:15 AM
That is beautiful. I love the simplicity and heft of the craftsman style. Gustave Stickley and William Morris would be proud. It is truly a family heirloom to be.

Frank Pellow
09-22-2004, 7:56 AM
Your son is very lucky! Not only is he getting this amazing toolbox from you but it is to be filled with tools made by you. I repeat: "Your son is very lucky!"

It would be good if you could posta picture or two with the tools in the box.

Jim Fancher
09-22-2004, 10:17 AM
Absolutely fantastic! I think you have inspired me to build something for my sons for when they get older.