PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid OSS as a sharpener?

Prashun Patel
10-09-2009, 2:42 PM
In rehabbing some old plane blades, I find some of them require a good amount of initial grinding and sole flattening.

Hand lapping takes forever. And without a tool rest, the bench grinder is touch and go.

I got to thinking: Can I use my Ridgid OSS as a crude grinder. It has a tiliting table and a belt sander attachment. Anybody have experience doing this? Any ideas? Am I an idiot? (don't answer that last one :rolleyes:)

Jason White
10-09-2009, 2:51 PM
You are not an idiot (or maybe we both are)!

I've thought of trying the same thing using a miter gauge and the belt-sander attachment to sharpen some of my chisels. I'm sure I'd still need to do some final honing with the sharpening stone, though.

Jason

In rehabbing some old plane blades, I find some of them require a good amount of initial grinding and sole flattening.

Hand lapping takes forever. And without a tool rest, the bench grinder is touch and go.

I got to thinking: Can I use my Ridgid OSS as a crude grinder. It has a tiliting table and a belt sander attachment. Anybody have experience doing this? Any ideas? Am I an idiot? (don't answer that last one :rolleyes:)

Prashun Patel
10-09-2009, 3:22 PM
My worksharp's got me covered on the honing part. It's that initial part to true up an edge so you can even begin honing that has me flummoxed.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-09-2009, 6:57 PM
I use a sander quite frequently for metal work. I do have belts made for metal. It makes a big difference.
Only things I'd caution you about it speed causing heat build up ( have a dish of water handy) and not putting the cutting edge into the rotation like you would with a grinder. The sharp edge can dig in and make a mess of everything.

Myk Rian
10-09-2009, 7:03 PM
If all you have is a grinder, OSS, and hand lapping equipment, the sander will get you to a starting point as will the grinder. You'll still need to hand lap though.

Jay Jeffery
10-10-2009, 9:17 PM
I use a sander quite frequently for metal work. I do have belts made for metal. It makes a big difference.
Only things I'd caution you about it speed causing heat build up ( have a dish of water handy) and not putting the cutting edge into the rotation like you would with a grinder. The sharp edge can dig in and make a mess of everything.

You can do quite a bit of sharpening on a sander. They work great with drill bits if you are careful. Just don't sand for more than about 2 seconds without quenching in water. If you mess up the temper, it may get sharp but will be either too soft or brittle to stay sharp (usually soft).

Phil Thien
10-10-2009, 11:30 PM
I tried the Rigid OBS for sharpening chisels and found that it was kinda hit or miss in getting the angles right. And it removes material very quickly. I prefer the WorkSharp.