PDA

View Full Version : Report on Sorby HollowMaster swan neck tool

Alan Tolchinsky
10-09-2009, 1:39 PM
Hi All, I really have this tool working well thanks to your help. I'm keeping the cutter at or above the centerline as suggested to me and it cuts very fast. I don't have a diamond file to sharpen it but I'm doing that just as I would any scraper, that is on my grinder. I don't think this is a great method because you have to be careful not to remove too much metal. How do you guys sharpen your cutters?

I do find you have to push fairly hard to get the cutting going when hollowing. I think I was being too gentle in the beginning. All I know is the chips are flying now. Oh and the other thing that helps is to hold the tool to your body and under your forearm. Again I was told that here and yes it helps. Thanks again to all who answered my hollowing questions and the PM's!

Mike Minto
10-09-2009, 2:33 PM
Alan, I use my ProEdge to sharpen my Hollow Master - I think it's a little easier on the cutter than a grinder ;) - diamond hones can be gotten for about $15; I use one to finish sharpening the cutter, and really like how a well-honed Hollow Master cuts. Mike

Alan Tolchinsky
10-09-2009, 3:12 PM
It sounds like you're having success with it. I've used my Work Sharp on mine but the cutter is too small to hold easily. I have to get a diamond file like you have. I've never heard of a Pro Edge; I'll google it. Yes grinding is a bit hard on these small bits. :D

Mike Minto
10-09-2009, 3:18 PM
Alan, don't know how well it would work with the WorkSharp, but Sorby also make a 'cutter-holder' that might make life easier for you - google that, too. Mike

Alan Tolchinsky
10-09-2009, 6:07 PM
Will do, thanks Mike.

Ryan Baker
10-09-2009, 7:36 PM
I grind all of my scrapers and scraper cutters on my regular bench grinder. I handhold them, though you can buy or make holders. If you are going to sharpen the small cutters on a grinder (especially by hand) be sure to have a good tool rest that fits around the wheel -- essentially a zero clearance rest. I [usually] use my Wolverine. Feed the edge of the rest into the grinder to form a notch that fits around the wheel a little. The diamond credit-card hones sometimes work well too.