PDA

View Full Version : H1N1 / Swine Flu - How are you doin'?

Brian Kent
10-09-2009, 1:30 PM
It was flu time this summer.

How are you doing? Anybody sitting at home until you get over this stuff?

My son and I both got it this summer (along with 40% of his Senior High Camp). I was strongly affected for 3 weeks and have been gradually getting back to normal over the last 6 weeks. That seems to be about average around here for several friends who got it.

Take care of yourself out there, and give yourself & co-workers more time than usual to get well.

Brian

Steve Rozmiarek
10-09-2009, 9:58 PM
Brian, how is it different from the "normal" flu?

Brian Kent
10-09-2009, 11:18 PM
For me, my son, and 4 friends…

Lasts longer - 3 weeks of feeling miserable.
Feel drained longer afterwards.

Same as some other flu…
Settles in the lungs.
Body and muscle ache.
Fever for most but not all cases.

Brian

Steve Rozmiarek
10-10-2009, 1:45 AM
Yuk. I don't know anybody personally that has/had it here. Is it pretty widespread elsewhere?

Brent Leonard
10-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Have a 4 year old that is sick as all get out right now. In the past 72 hours, she has slept at least 64 hours of it.

Took her to the pediatrician on Friday. They diagnosed her with infections in both ears. Doc prescribed antibiotic but told us not to fill it unless she develops high fever and the squirts. He also stated that if those things develop to IMMEDIATELY call the nurse hotline. They want to avoid antibiotics for everything but the very worst stuff so immunities don't develop.

We spent 6 hours in the ER last night, on recommendation of the "hotline" people. Kid can't keep anything down for more than 10 minutes and everytime she farts, crap is everywhere (poor kid). Hospital put her on a antibiotic iv and an iv to rehydrate her.

She is negative for strep, influenza 'a' & 'b'. She is mighty sick, whatever it is. 102.4º fever.

Prashun Patel
10-12-2009, 10:24 AM
My daughter comes home from kindergarten last week asking,

"What's the Hynee virus"?

Took me and my wife about 10 mins to figure out she interpreted the 1's in H1N1 as i's....

Chuck Wintle
10-12-2009, 10:46 AM
I don't really see how it can be much different from the "regular flu" besides the ceaseless hype surrounding it. I heard that for someone in good health and within a certain age group it is no different than a normal flu. :D

Anthony Scira
10-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Not saying a word. Don't want to jinx it.

I had the flu last year and it was HORRIBLE ! Don't even want to thing about it again !

Brian Kent
10-12-2009, 1:04 PM
I would normally just pass over this, but let's not confuse a vitamin D advertisement with full health care. Several children have died recently in nearby San Bernardino County from H1N1.

This is like other varieties of flu, only stronger. Very dangerous for younger groups. Not a time for panic, but definitely something to be approached with serious watchfulness.

Brian

Rick Potter
10-16-2009, 3:19 AM
Down for most of the last week, but getting better fast. Must have been something else. Grandaughter (14) has it now.

Rick Potter

Keith Starosta
10-16-2009, 6:14 AM
My next door neighbors are both currently infected with H1N1. She has it worse than he does, but BOTH are in bad shape. I told him, via e-mail, that if I see him outside in the next week, I'm going to fight him!

- Keith

Montgomery Scott
10-16-2009, 10:17 AM
I've got a case of Relenza at home so I'm ready for it.