PDA

View Full Version : Thin Maple Bowl

Steve Schlumpf
10-09-2009, 1:13 PM
Wanted to turn something that was a little different and this is the result. Finally got over treating each piece of wood I put on the lathe like it is the last piece of wood I have. I was determined to turn this bowl thin and I didn’t care if it blew up in the process. I am happy with the result!

Thin Maple bowl, 10 ½” diameter x 5 ¼” high. The rim is 3/16” and rapidly tapers to 1/8” for the rest of the bowl with the center bottom area a little thicker at ¼”. Sanded to 320 grit and has 3 of 7 coats of Minwax Wipe-On Gloss Poly. It will get buffed after the poly cures.

129698 129699 129700 129701 129702

As always – your comments, critiques and opinions are welcome!

Thanks for looking!

Dennis Ford
10-09-2009, 1:20 PM
You did a great job. You kept the shape very nice while making the walls thin, not an easy task.

Mauricio Ulloa
10-09-2009, 1:30 PM
Really nice work ! Was it green or already dried?

George Van
10-09-2009, 1:44 PM
I like the fact that you did not let your mission to turn a thin bowl disrupt our plan to make a well balanced, formed, and finished bowl. Well done bowl Steve!

Mike Golka
10-09-2009, 1:44 PM
That's a beauty Steve!!! Great job

Alan Tolchinsky
10-09-2009, 1:45 PM
Yes Steve, that is a little scary getting the walls thin. I've had a few mishaps myself. :rolleyes: I like the nice simple shape you did there and the grain is very interesting with the dark areas on top. Is that the end grain? Going thin is always a challenge but you did it.

Rick Huelsbeck
10-09-2009, 2:16 PM
That's a good looking bowl Steve

Rick Prosser
10-09-2009, 2:51 PM
Looks good Steve !

How does it feel compared to the usual bowls? Lighter (too light?) Fragile? Refreshing?

Will you do more this thin?

Ed Hazel
10-09-2009, 2:58 PM
Just stop posting your turning pics please!

I keep looking at your guys turnings and am amazed at what you are able to turn out, and well I never had much interest in turning until now, my interest is starting to peek. I even caught myself looking a wood lathes on the Grizzly site last night.
I am out of space in the wood shop but there is some space in the garage.

Ed Hazel
10-09-2009, 2:59 PM
Just stop posting your turning pics please!

I keep looking at your guys turnings and am amazed at what you are able to turn out, and well I never had much interest in turning until now, my interest is starting to peek. I even caught myself looking a wood lathes on the Grizzly site last night.
I am out of space in the wood shop but there is some space in the garage.

Is it turned wet or dry? are you concerned with it cracking?

Leo Van Der Loo
10-09-2009, 3:33 PM
Nice bowl Steve, looks good, and probably feels even better, I'm always surprised at the difference in weight, compared to a glass or ceramic/metal bowl

alex carey
10-09-2009, 3:40 PM
Beautiful bowl as usual.

Harvey Ghesser
10-09-2009, 3:56 PM
I wish to become half as skilled and talented as you, Steve! Beautiful bowl!

Steve Schlumpf
10-09-2009, 5:10 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone! I do appreciate it!

The bowl was roughed out back in November '08, did the DNA soak and then wrapped and stored on a shelf in the shop. I hope that by turning the bowl a consistent thickness that it won't crack in the near future. The poly should help regulate any moisture fluctuations.

As far as weight - it is pretty light but doesn't feel fragile at all. The bowl actually is a pretty good size and being Maple, even when the walls are thin - it has a little weight to it.

mickey cassiba
10-09-2009, 6:14 PM
Steve...thanks for your kind words when I joined up. I'm going to my first turning group meeting tomorrow. In about a hundred years I hope to be turning something like this.
Thanks to you and all the others,
Mickey

Eugene Wigley
10-09-2009, 6:56 PM
That's another great job. Thanks for posting it.

Bernie Weishapl
10-09-2009, 9:04 PM
Great job Steve. Love the simple form and finish looks great.

Mark Hix
10-09-2009, 9:07 PM
That's a great looking bowl. I don't think you could have oriented the grain any more even than it is.

Curt Fuller
10-09-2009, 9:37 PM
Besides the fact that I'm impressed with the thinness, I really like the form too. It just almost begins to curve back in at the top. I makes me want to hold it, cradled in both hands, to feel the curve. Nice one Steve!

George Morris
10-09-2009, 10:40 PM
Steve great bowl turning thin can be a little scary! You did a great job on it. Form is on and nice finish. One question how come it is not dyed! I am looking forward to seeing more of them and may try one myself! Thanks for posting your fine turnings! G

Steve Bistritz
10-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Real nice form and finish.............:D

ROY DICK
10-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Steve,
The 3rd and 5th picture reminds me of a southwest rain storm.
Well done on the whole project.

Roy

Rob Cunningham
10-10-2009, 7:36 AM
Once again, another nice bowl Steve.
I really wish you would slow down. I haven't had much time on the lathe lately and you're making me jealous :)