PDA

View Full Version : NYW Season 22 ?

Gary J Belch
10-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Has anyone been able to find out the PBS schedule for season 22 of The New Yankee Workshop. Not a word on home page. Last season's 26 replay shows with new intros was a bust. Are we in for another repeat preformance starting in January 2010? :mad:

Jason Beam
10-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Norm has Parkinson's (so I've heard from friends, I have no source) so I'd be surprised if he didn't retire real soon. I wouldn't count on too many new episodes at this point.

He's put in a ton of years and has contributed so much to the woodworking world that I sure hope he's able to take some time for himself and his family before things set in. It's been a good ride, though. I wish him the best :)

Ken Fitzgerald
10-09-2009, 12:16 PM
It's been reported that Norm has said for some years he wanted to retire at 60. IIRC he turns 60 next year.

He has had a tremendous effect on the increased popularity of woodworking. And along the way.....people have learned from him.

Alex Shanku
10-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Norm has Parkinson's so I'd be surprised if he didn't retire real soon. I wouldn't count on too many new episodes at this point.

He's put in a ton of years and has contributed so much to the woodworking world that I sure hope he's able to take some time for himself and his family before things set in. It's been a good ride, though. I wish him the best :)

WOW!! Uplifting post, Dr. Beam!!!

Where might I read about Norm and his Parkinson's? :rolleyes:

Dan Friedrichs
10-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Norm has Parkinson's

What is your source for this? I hadn't heard this and was unable to find ANYTHING to support this claim.

Curt Harms
10-09-2009, 7:50 PM
I suspect the Parkinson's rumor comes from apparent tremors. Tremors do not necessarily equal Parkinson's. My wife was "diagnosed" with Parkinson's at one point while in a rehab facility but discontinued the meds as soon as she was released on her Dr.'s advice with no ill effect. She's had tremors for years but nobody can figure out why for sure. She appears to have a condition known as "benign essential tremor". It hasn't gotten worse and is in no way debilitating. Norm may have something similar going on.

Christopher Stahl
10-14-2009, 1:45 AM
I had a nice conversation with Norm at AWFS and he didn't appear to have any issues with tremors or any signs of Parkinsons. He looked to be quite healthy.

Anyway, I did talk to him about retirement. He said he wasn't sure how many more episodes of NYW were going to be made if any. Norm did say he had many things he wanted to do and he felt now was the time to start those plans. One was starting a school which he seemed quite excited about and what he planned to focus on.

chris

Jerome Hanby
10-14-2009, 8:00 AM
I would hate to loose the "active" show, but my local PBS bites so hard, it's only about 50/50 that any given episode will air. But, once it's totally in the can, I have to wonder if the old episodes will get more air time or other types of exposure. If I could buy the episodes and pay the same kind of price I do for the Router Workshop DVDs, I'd own every one of them!

Geoffrey Smith
10-14-2009, 8:11 AM
Thank you for that information Christopher.

I have been enjoying seeing some little quirks in the old ones they are replaying. Like when he used very little dust collection and chips and dust shoot everywhere. Or when he squirts some glue into a dado, but doesn't spread it out evenly like he does in the more modern shows.

And, of course, it is great to see the evolution of his shop and his choices of tools and setups is great to see.

John McClanahan
10-14-2009, 8:26 AM
I too like the older shows where he uses a wider selection of tool brands, both fairly new and well used. Recent shows are a display case for Delta / Porter Cable. If they don't make it, you don't need it.

John

David Cramer
10-14-2009, 8:30 AM
Wow, that really bums me out. I knew this day would come eventually, but it's still said to hear.

I know it's very, very selfish on my part, but.....I'd really like to see him do one more episode as a farewell to those of us who've really appreciated all he's done over the last couple of decades. Maybe not even an actual project, but just a last go around the shop. Those who choose to label him as something less than a Master (see the highboy), need not watch.

Some have talked about Mark from the Woodwhisperer as his replacement, but I respectfullly disagree. The show and title began with Norm and it should end with Norm. If Mark, or anyone for that matter, has their own show, I'm all for it, but not in that shop:), it's Norm's.

David

Todd Hoppe
10-14-2009, 8:38 AM
Norm did say he had many things he wanted to do and he felt now was the time to start those plans. One was starting a school which he seemed quite excited about and what he planned to focus on.

chris

Does anyone have more information about this? Without starting a discussion of those who object to brad nailers, I personally think this would be a really neat school.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-14-2009, 8:42 AM
Hey Folks!

Except for Christopher Stahl who indicated Norm said nothing about retirement recently when he spoke with Norm at AWFS...and

THERE WAS NO SIGNS OF PARKINSONS AND NORM INDICATED HE WAS VERY INTERESTED IN SOME NEW PROJECTS......

Nobody has presented a credible witness or proof to these wild accusations.

SO THIS COULD BE AND PROBABLY IS JUST SOME MORE INTERNET RUMOR....

Let's don't start playing taps or taking up a collection for flowers for Norm's funeral quite yet.......

Yeeshhh!

David Cramer
10-14-2009, 9:21 AM
I realize your post was partially in jest, but no one said anything about playing taps or getting up a flower collection, that's a little over the top, don't ya think? People are talking about the show being over and Norm strongly implying it himself.

I too have read about Norm and spoken to him in person more than once. He is not going to do this forever Ken and has said as much. I also read the part about him having control of his life when he's 60 and doing more of the things he wants to do.

My post has nothing to do with rumors of his health, which I have never heard anything about until this thread. Heck, I didn't even know that he had a new wife:eek:, which by the way is none of my concern. I only know Norm from the NYW shop and that's enough for me.

It is very doubtful that you will get many more seasons of the NYW. I hope there are, but based off of Norm's own words it's not very likely. I would be ecstatic if there was one more season, let alone a farewell show in the shop. If you see something on the horizon that we don't know about Ken, please share it as soon as you know:).

By the way, the show was only suppose to last 4 seasons and it's not a rumor. I have Norm on tape saying that during a presentation he did in my state.

David

Dan Friedrichs
10-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Heck, I didn't even know that he had a new wife:eek:,

(*confused*) He's not married to Laura anymore?

Jim Rimmer
10-14-2009, 11:26 AM
(*confused*) He's not married to Laura anymore?
Wow, some folks know way too much about Norm. :D

Dan Friedrichs
10-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Wow, some folks know way too much about Norm. :D

Ha! Ok, Jim, you're right - that sounded much more stalker-ish than I meant :)

I just knew that because I read his book "Norm Abram's New House".... Really, that's the only reason... :eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
10-14-2009, 12:17 PM
David,

Yes the taps comment was in jest but I don't think it's any more over the top than someone suggesting he's got medical problems without any proof what so ever.

And that is what I was referring to.

Dave Lehnert
10-14-2009, 12:22 PM
My guess we should start seeing some info on the new season but the new programs\season, unlike network TV, does not start till the first of the year.

Mort Stevens
10-14-2009, 12:45 PM
I saved this to my computer, but I don't remember the source;

Norm divorced his first wife Laura in 1996 they have one daughter, Lindsey who would be about 28 today (2008). I think a lot of friction in their marriage occurred when they built a new home, she would see him out working on other people's homes while theirs went unfinished.

He is currently married to Elise Hauenstein, they married in September of 1999.

I thought this was interesting... "Though he began work on the house in 1991, Abram and his wife of six months, Elise Hauenstein, still walk on unfinished floors from bedroom to bath, and their "library" is a sea of boxes.&quot Apparently Norm is quite the procrastinator!

Keith Christopher
10-14-2009, 12:55 PM
I saved this to my computer, but I don't remember the source;

Old saying "The cobblers children have no shoes."

Paul Greathouse
10-14-2009, 2:01 PM
Ha! Ok, Jim, you're right - that sounded much more stalker-ish than I meant :)

I just knew that because I read his book "Norm Abram's New House".... Really, that's the only reason... :eek:

Don't feel bad Dan, I read the same book, thoroughly enjoyed it, and would have asked the same question you did if I had gotten to this thread before you. Not stalker-ish, just common curiousity.

Cody Colston
10-14-2009, 2:55 PM
I think a NYW finale show would be great. I'd like to see Norm build something that he wanted to build...something really good like the highboy.

Just film it in one hour episodes until he finishes. It would be a huge money-maker I'm guessing.

Anybody here know Russel Morash personally? :D

John Gregory
10-14-2009, 3:17 PM
I would hope they the NYW would do a farewell season. Make a bit of a big deal about it. I would hate to see the program just fade into the sunset.

I am Norm's age and I understand the appeal of retiring. It won't happen soon for me, but I hope Norm planned better than I did.

A thought....some of us dream about retiring and spending more time in the shop. Norm dreams of retiring and spending less time in the shop. :D

daniel lane
10-14-2009, 4:50 PM
I suspect the Parkinson's rumor comes from apparent tremors. Tremors do not necessarily equal Parkinson's. My wife was "diagnosed" with Parkinson's at one point while in a rehab facility but discontinued the meds as soon as she was released on her Dr.'s advice with no ill effect. She's had tremors for years but nobody can figure out why for sure. She appears to have a condition known as "benign essential tremor". It hasn't gotten worse and is in no way debilitating. Norm may have something similar going on.

I've had essential tremors in my working hand (left) for years, now. Same presentation - they haven't gotten worse and they are in no way debilitating. (Except for that one time I nearly chipped a tooth on a beer bottle!) In a sort of mixed blessing, they come and go. Sometimes I have nothing, other times it's strong enough to be irritating. They appear to be (somewhat) magnified by fatigue or illness.

Anyway, I noted Norm's apparent tremors in several episodes and pointed out to my wife that it was heartening to know that they shouldn't be an issue for me as I progress with my hobby. It never occurred to me that it could be anything else.

daniel

Jason Strauss
10-14-2009, 5:04 PM
[QUOTE=Cody Colston;1235643]I I'd like to see Norm build something that he wanted to build...something really good like the highboy.

Cody,

Your statement here is classic! I'm not sure if you meant it this way, but in the same sentence you say Norm should build something that he wants to build, and then you suggest something for him!

That gave me a good laugh!:D

Ken Fitzgerald
10-14-2009, 5:37 PM
I would hope they the NYW would do a farewell season. Make a bit of a big deal about it. I would hate to see the program just fade into the sunset.

I am Norm's age and I understand the appeal of retiring. It won't happen soon for me, but I hope Norm planned better than I did.

A thought....some of us dream about retiring and spending more time in the shop. Norm dreams of retiring and spending less time in the shop. :D

Is that irony...or just the grass being greener?

Colin Giersberg
10-14-2009, 7:23 PM
After a quick Google search, this is what I found out about Norm and his wife. This is from "The New Wookie Workshop", and the link at the bottom does not work. However, no mention is made of any new shows, but then this was posted 2/27/07.

February 26, 2007The Straight-Up Story From Norm David (david.ripley49@yahoo.com): Master carpenter of This Old House since the series' 1979 premiere and host of The New Yankee Workshop for the past 17 seasons, Norm Abram has inspired millions of do-it-yourselfers to renovate and restore their homes. America’s ultimate home improvement guru—and quintessential nice guy—the man in the plaid shirt is the neighbor everybody wishes lived next door.

Admired for his down-to-earth manner and common-sense approach to renovation, Norm is both an uncompromising, old-world craftsman and contemporary pioneer, ever in search of new construction products and innovative approaches. Exposed to the trade by his carpenter father, he began honing his skills as a boy in Milford, Massachusetts, making wooden toys for his younger sister.

A lesser-known side of the carpenter-turned-celebrity is his membership in WGBH’s Ralph Lowell Society. Says Norm, I want to be associated with a group of people who share my commitment to WGBH’s mission to produce information that gives the public the straight-up story.”

Norm and his wife, potter Elise Hauenstein, live in a classic colonial home he built just outside Boston 11 years ago, where, he confesses, “there are still things to be done.” WGBH senior editor Diane Carasik Dion recently spoke with Norm while he was en route to tape an episode for The New Yankee Workshop’s upcoming 18th season, premiering in January.

Are you really as easygoing as your reputation would have it?
With the on-air personalities on This Old House and New Yankee, what you see is what you get. It’s who we are. When people say “You’re just like on TV,” I feel proud of that.

Did you grow up with public television?
We weren’t a big TV family. We occupied ourselves by being outdoors. WGBH became a part of my life when I began watching Sesame Street with my daughter, Lindsey (now 24), which was around the time I started working on This Old House.

What projects are you busy with in your old house?
Going from a plywood staircase to a finish staircase, installing baseboard, adding crown molding. We’ve been on a landscaping mission for five years.

What’s on the roster for the 2006 New Yankee season?
Interior plantation shutters; a roller stand, stock cart, and mobile tool stand to help woodworkers around the shop; a fireplace mantel; and something very hot right now: a poker table.

What’s your favorite part of the job?
I’m fortunate in that I get to create things I love and keep them, like my pine nightstand, one of the very first projects we did on New Yankee.

What do you and Elise enjoy, just for fun?
Cooking, entertaining, looking at art. We’re serious boaters, and we love being on the water. We’re lucky to live in New England.

Why is your membership in the Ralph Lowell Society so important?
Elise and I pretty much know who we want to help. We want WGBH to continue. We believe in it. The quality of programming won’t come from anyplace else.

In today’s crowded media landscape, why does public broadcasting still matter?
Public broadcasting has the opportunity to be a leader, rather than a follower. All the hundreds of trendy channels popping up are highly influenced by advertising and product placement. With public television, you remove those temptations. It’s more about taking the time to do it right.

Click here (http://www.wgbh.org/support/major_planned_giving/sharing_the_vision.pdf) to read the news letter and view pictures of Norm and his wife Elise.

David Cramer
10-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Ken, knowing you will most likely respond, I won't post again on this thread as to not get into the back and forth thing, but I respectfully disagree.

Taps equates to death, does it not? Referring to one's health is not the same. My Uncle is 58 and shakes terribly in both hands. He's not dying, just not doing well. Taps IS more over the top than someone not firing on all cylinders, whether you agree or not.

Respectfully,

David

Ken Fitzgerald
10-15-2009, 4:21 PM
David,

1st you certainly have a right to disagree.

I will disagree with you.

Posts in this thread have so far...rumored the show is over.....and rumored that he had Parkinsons . RUMORS...no evidence of any kind. Rumors of this kind are over the top. Nobody has a right to spread unproven, unfounded RUMORs about someone's health. Period. Suppose I spread a rumor about your health and using your name. Suppose you are applying for health insurance and the insurance agent does a Google search and finds your name in this thread and a rumored pre-existing health problem like Parkinsons. Can it effect your life, whether or not you can get insurance or what that insurance may cost you? You better believe it.

Repeating or starting unfounded, unproven rumors about a possible health problem is over the top in my book and frankly uncalled for.

I will make you a deal David.

You get people to quit spreading rumors......GOSSIP.....I'll quit making what you believe over-the-top comments in jest.

;)

Dennis McGarry
10-15-2009, 5:22 PM
back on somewhat subject, I have around 45 or so NYWS episodes on file here if anyone would like them. Pm me..

John Terefenko
10-16-2009, 4:10 PM
It looks like it is official Norm is retiring but will still do this old house. It has been confirmed by pbs

Donald Hofmann
10-16-2009, 4:27 PM
It looks like it is official Norm is retiring but will still do this old house. It has been confirmed by pbs

What is your source?

According to The New Wookie, Norm will be back with season 22http://www.newwookiee.com/story/Season_22_Of_The_New_Yankee_Workshop_122964.asp

Bill Arnold
10-16-2009, 4:39 PM
This just in. (http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/editorsblog/New%20Yankee%20Workshop%20Closing%20Its%20Doors.as px) :eek:

Brian Effinger
10-16-2009, 4:44 PM
That's a real bummer. :(

I've been looking forward to seeing what he builds next.

Dennis McGarry
10-16-2009, 5:05 PM
Hmm odd that they dont show the press release and the main site for it doesnt show any hints of it.

but it is being reported on various other sites as well..

Peter Quinn
10-16-2009, 8:13 PM
Ok, so I heard Norm was being forced to retire because he has for years been hiring only female externs and forcing them to.....OOOPs, no wait, that was David Letterman, sorry guys.:eek: It can be hard to get the facts straight and stick to them, but I will try in the future.:rolleyes:

So no more NYW hey? That won't change my life at all, because between my local PBS station and my crappy cable provider they never seem to air them in my district in any event. Leaves me a bit PO'd, I like Norm. Perhaps a complete box set will be for sale to celebrate Norm's retirement? Hint hint, wink wink...