PDA

View Full Version : New Monster Tools Website

Mike Minto
10-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Have you guys seen the new site yet? Same address. Mike

jason lambert
10-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Along with the new 25% minum on restocking fees etc. But the site does look nicer.

Barry ward
10-09-2009, 12:33 PM
25% restocking fee ??? I guess you better be sure before you buy,cause with S&H its gonna cost you well over 100.00 just to see if you like it.Unless I'm reading this wrong.I WAS thinking about getting it. :confused:

Ken Fitzgerald
10-09-2009, 12:37 PM
A restocking fee is not uncommon.

I don't know what the laws are for smaller items like tools but in BIG buck items that I work with...once something has been used, you cannot legally sell it as new.

Mike Minto
10-09-2009, 12:56 PM
25% restocking fee ??? I guess you better be sure before you buy,cause with S&H its gonna cost you well over 100.00 just to se if you like it.Unless I'm reading this wrong.I WAS thinking about getting it. :confused:

it what? mike

George Guadiane
10-09-2009, 3:23 PM
25% restocking fee ??? I guess you better be sure before you buy,cause with S&H its gonna cost you well over 100.00 just to se if you like it.Unless I'm reading this wrong.I WAS thinking about getting it. :confused:
See if someone in your area has one and see if they will let you try it...
I have only seen one unhappy customer, and lots and LOTS of delighted customers (me included)... A restocking fee only matters if you have plans on returning the item. The product has eben outstanding for me, I heartily recommend it.

I think the new site is MUCH more accessible.

Mike Minto
10-09-2009, 3:57 PM
IT WHAT? mike :o

Hilel Salomon
10-09-2009, 6:51 PM
Are you guys talking about Monster tools or Monster-lathe-tools? The latter, formerly called Monsterwoodtools.com is Randy Privett's site. Many creekers, including me, have Randy's tools and the overwhelming majority of us are very, very satisfied with them. They're made well, work well and are a delight to use. Randy is also very patient and helpful for people like myself who are incredibly dumb about using tools. I think that, if you call him, he'll explain his tools and policies. I bet that some creekers will be happy to share their experiences w/you in public or private. You might also want to look at the Youtube pics of his stuff.
I've never met him in person, have no share in his products, but I am extremely satisfied.
Regards, Hilel.

Barry ward
10-09-2009, 6:59 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way,I have heard nothing but good about the tool,but sometimes we buy things and find out it's just not for you.I deal with about 4 or 5 suppliers (at least )and I have returned things for various reasons and have never been charged a restocking fee,but once.It was a piece of crap and out of a 25.00 purchase,when all was said and done,I ended up getting about 12 bucks back:mad: But the point I was making,was the 25% :eek: They can resell some items,they just have to tell you they are used.

Mike Minto
10-09-2009, 7:06 PM
what am i, deaf? what is "it"? what is gonna cost over $100? i started this thread, and don't even know what part of it is about! :mad: mike

Ken Fitzgerald
10-09-2009, 7:59 PM
Mike,

Barry doesn't like the fact that Monster tools has a 25% restocking fee. So if you order the big tool at $400 and decide you want to return it, they will charge you $100 to restock it.

There is nothing unusual or unfair about restocking fees.

Mike Minto
10-09-2009, 9:09 PM
ken, thanks...how could i not have divined that? mike

Barry ward
10-09-2009, 9:29 PM
Sorry Mike,i wasn't meaning to hijack your post.So I apollogize for that,but I think I found out the reasoning behind the 25% restocking fee and can understand the situation.

Ken Glass
10-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Go Monster-Lathe-tools!

Great tools and and a great person behind the tools, and a great new web site. Way to go, Randy!!

Bernie Weishapl
10-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Great looking site. Randy is a super guy to deal with and love his tools. I have both the captured and arm unit. Both are excellent tools.

As for restocking fee's. I have a buddy that owns a farm supply place. They sell everything from animal feed to chainsaws. He says he charges a restocking fee for one reason. He said a lot of people today buy something take it home and try it. For some reason for whatever reason they find out it was not for them and bring it back complaining it is not right or some excuse to get their money back. He said if there is something wrong he will gladly give them there money back with no questions asked. He said there are a lot of the people that bring things back and there is not a thing wrong with the product. He said it is getting worse all the time. He said he had a guy come in and bought a chainsaw. He came back the next day and said the saw was no good. He wanted his money back. He gave him his money back with no questions asked. He found out a week or so later from the guys neighbor that he trimmed all his trees with it. So the restocking fee.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Bernie,

Here's what happened to me a couple of years ago.

I went to Home Depot to buy a carpet cleaner for my wife. They had the best selection in town.

While standing there trying to determine which one to buy, a guy came up and suggested I do what he was going to do. Buy one, put it on plastic, take it home, use it and return it claiming he wasn't satisfied with it.

I agree with the policy....if there is a manufacturing defect, money back no questions.....if it's a return because you don't like...restocking fee. You can usually tell if something is a manufacturing defect, damaged in shipment or broken by the end user.

Again.....some products once used cannot be sold as new. Thus the seller takes a financial loss. I see no problem with a restocking fee.

Jim Evans
10-10-2009, 8:28 PM
Many retailers, especially the large chains are not out any money with returns. The manufacture either gives them a % of their total sales or an actual credit for the returned item. That is one of the reasons they are so liberal with their returns.

I know because that is how we handle returns for retailers.

I have spent many hours writing up "defective" tools for our customers. What people return as defective is incredible. Hand sockets that are completely worn out from an impact wrench, 3/4" drive ratchets that are bent, screwdrivers used as chisels, etc

I was at an open house and a guy was bragging about how he Sears came out with some new wrenches so the took his old Sears wrenches back because he was "no longer satisfied". The gave him the new ones. As a joke one of us told the guy we hoped he did not buy any of our tools. Actually it was not really a joke - we would have been better off not selling him anything!

George Morris
10-10-2009, 9:12 PM
Ken I second that! Check out my post under great experience! Randy truly has a great product and is a fine and generous person !! G

Jon Lanier
10-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Have you guys seen the new site yet? Same address. Mike

I've not perused completely through it. But my, that is SO MUCH BETTER. Welcome to the 21 century in websites. :D

Ken Fitzgerald
10-10-2009, 11:35 PM
[QUOTE=Jim Evans;1232726]Many retailers, especially the large chains are not out any money with returns. The manufacture either gives them a % of their total sales or an actual credit for the returned item. That is one of the reasons they are so liberal with their returns.

QUOTE]

Somebody is out some profit on a return....if not the retailer, the manufacturer. Today among consumers just like among businesses, there are a certain number that have no conscience. Take the example I cited earlier. In the end somebody is out some of a profit they should have received.

A restocking fee is not unusual nor unwarranted if someone buys something to only return it because they don't like it.

Harlan Coverdale
10-11-2009, 1:32 AM
Are you guys talking about Monster tools or Monster-lathe-tools? The latter, formerly called Monsterwoodtools.com is Randy Privett's site.
Randy's old site was monster-wood-tool.com and the new one, which is still Randy's, is monster-lathe-tools.com. If you type in the old address, it looks like it's being redirected to the new one.

I agree, the new site looks much better than the old one. Great job Randy.

And regarding the good vs. bad reviews of Randy's products and practices, I think I've only seen one unhappy customer and a LOT of happy ones. I used to be in the Customer Service business, and I know that try as you might, you can't make everyone happy. Sometimes it's best to just move on. :rolleyes:

Jim Evans
10-11-2009, 1:48 AM
[QUOTE=Jim Evans;1232726]Many retailers, especially the large chains are not out any money with returns. The manufacture either gives them a % of their total sales or an actual credit for the returned item. That is one of the reasons they are so liberal with their returns.

QUOTE]

Somebody is out some profit on a return....if not the retailer, the manufacturer. Today among consumers just like among businesses, there are a certain number that have no conscience. Take the example I cited earlier. In the end somebody is out some of a profit they should have received.

A restocking fee is not unusual nor unwarranted if someone buys something to only return it because they don't like it.

I agree, someone is out some profit. But we estimate the amount of all returns and build that into the cost of our product. Just another cost of doing business. Just like those of us who don't shoplift are paying a higher price to offset the merchandise stolen.

Any seller can decide how to run their business and we can decide to buy from them or not. It's a great system!

Randy's hollowing tool is on my short list of stuff to buy in the near future. I have no problems buying from him - I know his policies up front and make my decision based on them.

Mike Minto
10-13-2009, 3:02 PM
Bernie,

Here's what happened to me a couple of years ago.

I went to Home Depot to buy a carpet cleaner for my wife. They had the best selection in town.

While standing there trying to determine which one to buy, a guy came up and suggested I do what he was going to do. Buy one, put it on plastic, take it home, use it and return it claiming he wasn't satisfied with it.

I agree with the policy....if there is a manufacturing defect, money back no questions.....if it's a return because you don't like...restocking fee. You can usually tell if something is a manufacturing defect, damaged in shipment or broken by the end user.

Again.....some products once used cannot be sold as new. Thus the seller takes a financial loss. I see no problem with a restocking fee.

Ken, I worked at a borg for 4 months (that was how long it took me to run, screaming, from retail work and dealing with mouth-breathing customers) and saw that sort of thing many times - a paint sprayer came back after a weekend (covered with paint) - was told it didn't work; a saw came back after a few days covered in sawdust - problems with the saw, we were told. yep - happens alot. mike