PDA

View Full Version : Ok folks here ya go

Keith Christopher
09-21-2004, 12:34 PM
first image is a mahogany cali king headboard with raised panels. (all solid mahog no ply or veneer) The main panel is 36" long and 31" high. I experienced my first use of AB bleach as the colors didn't match on the panel. So I bleached it and stained it mahogany. LOL. The mirror was for a customer who saw a woodsmith on the stand and liked the mirror in the issue (talk about easy ;) ) it's made from QS white oak and finally primer white cabinet is to hang over a toilet in a 1/2 bath. It is made from pine and only primed as the customer wanted to paint it. (no sense using good wood 'eh ?)

Roger Fitzsimonds
09-21-2004, 12:50 PM
Nice work Keith.

Roger

Gary Max
09-21-2004, 1:30 PM
Love the bed you made---hope SWMBO doesn't see it.

Michael Stafford
09-21-2004, 1:41 PM
Purty work, real purty work. Thanks for sharing.

John Gregory
09-21-2004, 1:41 PM
Great design, color and finish. Is it your design or a plan or a modified plan? The color and finish looks very rich. Nice job

John

Ken Fitzgerald
09-21-2004, 1:52 PM
Great job on finishing the headboard! Nice job on everything!

Wes Bischel
09-21-2004, 1:53 PM
Keith,
Nice work - though I can't look too long, LOML might see your stuff and want something "just like it". :D

Wes

Jim Becker
09-21-2004, 1:56 PM
Excellent work, Keith.

Keith Christopher
09-21-2004, 3:58 PM
The design is a modified plan the originally called for a series of slats, I took some ideas from it and another plan from an old issue of woodsmith (by far my fav mag :) Inspiration abounds in there) . I had to bleach it bone white to get the panels to match, I used A-B bleach and then a Zar red mahogany gel stain on it. It has 6 coats of spray poly sanded to 2000 grit. (auto parts store :) )

Trust me when I say this thing is HEAVY ! the top rails and stiles are 1" solid and the posts are 4x4 hollow made up of 1" mahogany. It is all spline jointed (white oak splines)

Brian Hale
09-21-2004, 4:08 PM
Good looking stuff Keith!

Brian

PS Baltimore huh? We could be neighbors!

Keith Christopher
09-21-2004, 4:11 PM
so here is a zoom in of the left side panels where the posts and rails and stiles meet.

Brian, well I actually live in pikesville, but I am in cockeysville all the time (I buy from exotic lumber off of padonia rd. good to see other MD'ers here.

Garry Smith
09-21-2004, 4:27 PM
Nice job on the bed Keith, I really like the design. I am about to start a coat rack/mirror something like the one you show soon after I finish the paneled bifold doors I am currently working on

Garry

Brian Hale
09-21-2004, 4:45 PM
Keith,

Yep, big, A good image size for posting on the web is ~650 pixels on the longest side. Your image editing software should have a resize function that allows you to do this. Let me know if i can help...

Brian

Tyler Howell
09-21-2004, 4:50 PM
As one of the picture nazis, I almost O D'd on your work. It is almost too much to take in. Thanks for the inspiration.:cool:

Keith Christopher
09-21-2004, 5:13 PM
Brian,

Yeah I can do that, in this case I wanted the close up detailing of the jointed edges. Thanks for the offer.

Tyler,

Hopefully that's a good OD :) !

Keith

Jason Tuinstra
09-21-2004, 7:21 PM
Keith, nice work. I built this bed for some friends of mine. I thought that the worst part about the project was getting the rails the stiles to meet just right. Looks like you mastered it quite well. Nice job! Plans are nice every once and a while, aren't they? Thanks for sharing.