PDA

View Full Version : last new lathe question (for a while...)

Mike Minto
10-09-2009, 9:47 AM
Does it do any harm to an inverter/variable speed lathe to unplug it rather than turn it off every time you leave the shop - or is it just more inconvenient? Jim, I'm a woodworker, not an electrician (star trek reference:p). What do you all do? AND - do you all take tension off of the drive belt, or leave it under tension when not using the lathe? I always raised the motor on my 1624 when I was through using it - advise? Mike

Bernie Weishapl
10-09-2009, 9:58 AM
Mike I have the DVR and I shut it down then unplug it every time I leave the shop. Just a habit I got into even though I have surge suppressor on it.

Steve Schlumpf
10-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Mike - I turn the speed down to zero and always unplug the lathe. It is not uncommon to get lightening strikes here and the only way to make sure it doesn't get hit is to unplug it.

Robert Parrish
10-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Mike, you can put a switch between your lathe and the power source if you don't want to unplug it. I use a foot switch.

Mike Minto
10-09-2009, 10:27 AM
that's what i do with my big TV's during storms - think i'll keep unplugging the lathe since no one here thinks it does any harm. thanks, mike

Ken Fitzgerald
10-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Mike,

With my PM3520B, I shut it off and then unplug it.

For a fact...I've been there.....done that.....was forced to buy and wear the t-shirt.......lightning will jump across the contacts on a switch......it will melt copper pins as big as my middle finger and I have large hands....lightning will not stop at a common switch, circuit breaker etc. .....it might stop at a circuit breaker or switch if you are lucky but......unplugging it will remove any doubt or chance.

I had to deal with lightning strike on some radar used in air traffic control at NAS Meridian, MS in the early '70s. It wasn't even a direct strike. The lightning stike was 1/4 of a mile away and ran in on the power lines going to a precision approach radar. Smoked stuff......lots of smoke.......lots of labor and downtime. That runway wasn't used for quite a while until we got the parts shipped in and installed.

Sean Hughto
10-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Here's an embarassing admission: I've been unplugging mine as a matter of routine because I don't see any other obvious way to make the red 0 on the speed read out turn off (also as a matter of safety since I could imagine my daughter innocently pulling that large red switch).

Ken Fitzgerald
10-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Sean,

On my PM, what I've noticed is .....power seems to remain constantly to the 3 phase inverter....that's why the big red "0". By unplugging it, power is removed.

The one caveate....when you plug it in there is a few seconds delay before the lathe will turn on...you can pull the switch but a few seconds delay on the initial turn on following plugging it in......capacitors are charging I'd bet.

Alan Trout
10-09-2009, 11:05 AM
I have my DVR on 220V with a surge suppressor so I don't worry about it. I just leave mine plugged in.

Good Luck

Alan

John W Dixon
10-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Due to exactly the reasons Ken stated, I always turn my speed down to zero, shut the big red switch off and then unplug my lathe. Seems the safest to me and the plug for me is not out of the way.

By the way congrats on your new Jet!

John

Hilel Salomon
10-09-2009, 6:57 PM
I've got both a DVR XP and a 3520B, and I now unplug both when I leave the shop. As Steve and others pointed out, a power surge can wreck havoc on your machines. One caveat. On the PM 3520B, plugging it back on will bring you to the same speed you had before you unplugged it. That can be a little hairy, so be sure to turn the dial back down to 0. On the DVR, you can determine the starting speed by programming it. The default factory setting is 500 rpm, but you can change it.
Regards, Hilel

Ken Glass
10-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Mike,
I have a 3520B and do just what the other Ken does. Turn it off, speed to 0, and unplug it.

ROY DICK
10-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Turn to zero and unplug.

Roy

JerHall
10-10-2009, 11:23 AM
I always plan to come back out to the shop, in a "few" so power stays on and I never get around to turning it off. No problems in 8 years. It is a good idea to power down the shop if you have a master switch, and I am trying to work in that direction. While on vacation my neighbor reported that my dust collector cycled on and off a few times. I blamed it on someones errant garage door opener, never noticed it myself, but now power down when I go away.

Richard Madison
10-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Surely everyone always turns the lathe OFF when finished, OFF being the big red button. I never unplug, since my 220 outlet for the lathe is in the ceiling, but I do turn off the breaker when stormy weather is anticipated. I feel better about leaving it powered up all the time, but if I lived in an area with frequent lightning/thunderstorms, I would feel better about unplugging it every time. I don't think the lathe really cares.

alex carey
10-10-2009, 3:54 PM
Turn the speed to 0 and pull the plug.

Jeff Nicol
10-10-2009, 8:52 PM
Well I have never unplugged anything ever! No matter how many storms lightning or whatever so far so good!! Is this where I am supposed to knock on wood???? Well anyway I have four 10 foot ground rods sunk in the ground, 2 at the house and 2 and the garage. They are a requirement for the house and are spaced I think 6-8 feet apart with a heavy solid copper wire connecting them. This helps in any stray voltage and funny sounds on your radio and gives the lightning someplace to go. Maybe being down in a little river valley with a couple of very large towers around to grab up all the lightning helps too but no problems for me..........FAMOUS LAST WORD!!!!! YET>>>>

Jeff