PDA

View Full Version : Ornamental Columns Needed

Ben Abate
10-09-2009, 7:39 AM
Hello All,

I was commisioned to build a new alter for a church and I'm having problems finding some columns that match or come close to what I need. I have been searching the net trying find something close but I'm not having too much luck. I have check the usual places like Osborn and Mattew Burik. If someone has a suggestion of where I could find them please advise me.

Below I've enclosed a few pictures of the what I'm looking for. Obviously the straight mid section is not hard to find. The bottom can be made I believe without too much trouble. It's the top capital that I'm looking for.

thanks guys.

phil harold
10-09-2009, 8:47 AM
Those look unique

Mix of Corinthian and Egyptian
You could get them custom carved or plaster molds made from them to match

My sources had nothing close…

Good luck!

Lee Schierer
10-09-2009, 9:05 AM
I did a search for "plaster columns" and came up with too many sources to check oout. Several seem to have interest in making molds for you from photos or sketches. Google could be your friend. Here's a link to a bunch of places doing columns. Column sources (http://www.traditional-building.com/tbdb190.htm)

David DeCristoforo
10-09-2009, 10:32 AM
http://www.enkeboll.com/default.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Faust M. Ruggiero
10-09-2009, 12:12 PM
I have a person who will make a mold from the good capital and cast a new one in an epoxy compound. Since yours is painted, the match is easy. You can paint it and gold leaf it to exactly match the original. The price will be not be cheap but the match will be perfect. PM me if you want a contact.
butch

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-09-2009, 2:56 PM
What a fine excuse to learn how to carve and acquire some carving tools of course.

Bob Carreiro
10-09-2009, 3:07 PM
Hello Ben,

Bought many a resin columns from HD. On a couple of occassions, had to contact the manufacturer. In the process, learned they had Corinthian capitals too, although I've never used them (yet).

Stop by the store and jot down the manufacture from the box and give 'em a call. They'll be made of plastic, most likely, not the resin of the column itself, like the Doric and Ionic capitals I've used.

good luck,
Bob

Phillip Bogle
10-09-2009, 3:15 PM
This is the link for Outwater columns.
http://www.outwatercatalogs.com/lg_display.cfm/catalog/2009_Master/page/881

They seem to have everything imaginable. Over1200 pages of stuff it is surprising what is available.

Phil B

Ben Abate
10-10-2009, 6:19 PM
Faust,

I'd be interested in getting a quote from the person you know. PM me if you would like. I maybe able to disassemble one of the existing ones and have it reproduced.

I have a person who will make a mold from the good capital and cast a new one in an epoxy compound. Since yours is painted, the match is easy. You can paint it and gold leaf it to exactly match the original. The price will be not be cheap but the match will be perfect. PM me if you want a contact.
butch

Ben Abate
10-10-2009, 6:22 PM
Bob,
If you will, who is HD? OH, you mean the orange box store. You mean they carry stuff like this? Or do mean get a phone no. and address and see if they carry items like this. I see now what you're talking about.

Hello Ben,

Bought many a resin columns from HD. On a couple of occassions, had to contact the manufacturer. In the process, learned they had Corinthian capitals too, although I've never used them (yet).

Stop by the store and jot down the manufacture from the box and give 'em a call. They'll be made of plastic, most likely, not the resin of the column itself, like the Doric and Ionic capitals I've used.

good luck,
Bob

Faust M. Ruggiero
10-10-2009, 10:49 PM
Ben,
I forwarded the thread to him on Friday. He will call me Monday with a quote. I will put you in direct contact. You will not be disappointed.

fmr

Ben Abate
10-11-2009, 7:49 AM
Faust,
thank you, I'm interested to here and see how this is done. I have seen plaster molds being reproduced for molding on shows like This Old House. Is this similar.

Ben