PDA

View Full Version : Broken Tube on HX3040?

Stefan Stuckmann
10-09-2009, 4:55 AM
Hello,

a few days ago, while operating my hx3040 on relatively high power (95%), I suddenly heard a banging noise and the laser-beam stopped working. Everything else seems alright, it's just the beam that is not operating anymore. I checked the laser tube and did not find any visual damage - but when I try to shoot a test-beam, i hear a quiet cracking noise from the right side of the tube where it is connected to the wire. The sales-rep from Rabbit suggested that the problem lies in the connection and that it may be broken - so I checked the wire and even resolderd it, but the problem is still the same.
I won't get any other help from Rabbit till monday - however, I don't want to sit around till then, so if anyone has an idea of what might be wrong - if I just need a new tube or something else - your help would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

Stefan

Dan Hintz
10-09-2009, 6:44 AM
The crackling is probably arcing... if so, the tube is toast.

James Jaragosky
10-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Check to see if the tube has water in both chambers, if it does then the tube is definitely bad.
The crackling sound is arcing. This could be just a bad solder connection. What size soldering iron did you use? You need a very large one to solder the small wire to that steel post. A small iron will not generate the heat necessary to do the job properly.
I have an extra tube if you find you need to replace the one you have.
Jim J.

Dave Johnson29
10-09-2009, 10:57 AM
I suddenly heard a banging noise and the laser-beam stopped working.

Try and find what might have caused the banging. The line to the laser may be arcing through the insulation to a metal part of the cabinet.

Can you see any sparks when it is making the cracking noise? Turn off all the lights and check.