PDA

View Full Version : Amana Rail & Stile Opinions or Alternatives

Scott Hildenbrand
10-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Ok.. So I'm looking at picking up an Amana 55432 Straight w/ Bevel (http://www.amanatool.com/routerbits/instile-cabinetdoor-bits.html) set for gearing up to redo our kitchen and build several other doors/cabinets.

What is your opinion on Amana as a brand? How well do the bits last? For that matter, can router bits even be sharpened??

I'm open to suggestions of any other sets that may fit the bill [and match the stile] which could be used. Considering I'd not messed with a router in this scale before, open to many suggestions.

Brad Westcott
10-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Ok.. So I'm looking at picking up an Amana 55432 Straight w/ Bevel (http://www.amanatool.com/routerbits/instile-cabinetdoor-bits.html) set for gearing up to redo our kitchen and build several other doors/cabinets.

What is your opinion on Amana as a brand? How well do the bits last? For that matter, can router bits even be sharpened??

I'm open to suggestions of any other sets that may fit the bill [and match the style] which could be used. Considering I'd not messed with a router in this scale before, open to many suggestions.

I am not familiar with Amana so I can not say one way or another whether or not they make quality bits.

I use Freud\Diablo router bits. I appreciate that they have their own proprietary method of making the Carbide\Titanium bit material. They are made in Italy. I have uses MANY bits over the decades and have settled on Freud.

I have never tried to have my router bits sharpened or repaired. I am skeptical that they will retain their original diameter\shape which would destroy their usefulness.

I am glad to report that all in all, bit prices have come way down over the many years and are close to disposable item prices. I feel I get my fair share of use out of them before replacing them and I have many bits that are 10 years old. Granted, some do not get as much use as others, but they can last a long time if taken care of and not used in a commercial manner.

Scott Hildenbrand
10-08-2009, 11:39 PM
At $170 this rail and stile set is far from what I call disposable. I'll have to check and see if they have anything comparable.

Brad Westcott
10-08-2009, 11:48 PM
At $170 this rail and style set is far from what I call disposable. I'll have to check and see if they have anything comparable.

As I said, it depends on how much cutting you do. Not many people do a lot of cabinet work on a a continual basis. They should last you a good long time.

3/4" or 1/2" straights bits on the other hand:eek:

Scott Hildenbrand
10-08-2009, 11:57 PM
True.. Should last me forever, considering the amount of work I plan on doing.

I could not find anything by Freud that came close to the profile set I'm looking at.. DID find some alternatives on Amazon priced $70-90, but all are non adjustable.. I like that I can use from 3/16"-1/2" ply for the inner, depending on how I wanted to build it up... IE cheap shop doors with luan as the inner panel, just to play around and get used to working with them.

Oh.. Far as sharpening.. I'd think it no issue with non matched bits. Granted, it would change the profile a bit, or at least the cut depth, but I'm sure with most that shouldn't be an issue.. *shrugs*.. Why I asked. ;)

glenn bradley
10-09-2009, 2:34 AM
The Amana bits I have are quite good. I got them during a half price clearance at Rockler. They are normally more expensive (around here?) than the Freud and Whiteside equivalents that I prefer but, the ones that I have perform well.

Sam Babbage
10-09-2009, 7:09 AM
They can be sharpened a few times before the geometry starts going wonky. That straight design is probabaly more forgiving than others, so you might even get a few more sharpens. I've not used their panel sets but Amana bits are very good.

Dan Bowman
10-09-2009, 7:54 AM
Their Instile line is more expensive because you can adjust the width of the groove. I used their Shaker Instile because I needed a wider groove for a veneered panel, and was quite happy with the performance. It was for a single set of kitchen cabinets, so not exactly a tough workout. The only downside I see is cost. Unless you have some specific need for setting the groove width, I think you can find a much cheaper alternative.

Kerry Adams
10-09-2009, 8:21 AM
I just got done buying and using the whiteside bits. This was my first time and I was very impressed. They went through oak with one pass and no problem. Being able to adjust your bit from above the table will be a great advantage for set up and use.

Kerry

Buck Williams
10-09-2009, 8:21 AM
I have the Amana Instile Mission set, I also like the flexibility it offers for panel thickness. I think I paid about $50-60 less than the $175 talked about. I haven't used it a lot, but no complaints. Infinity makes the same Shaker profile you are looking for (#91-505) for about $90. I have one of their rail and stile sets, again haven't used it near enough to wear it out, but it has performed well. Infinity's bits seem to be pretty well respected.

Matt Meiser
10-09-2009, 9:23 AM
I just used the Amana InStile Mission setup for my parents' kitchen. I already had a Woodline bit set that does the same profile, but it is for 5.2mm plywood and the stuff I got for the kitchen is 6.3mm, except one odd sheet that was 5.7. This is the only adjustable set I found. Works great--my only complaint is that the directions are really poor.

I think we paid $140 from a local Amana dealer. Holbren can get them too--don't forget about the SMC10 discount code there. They weren't on the site when I was looking, but via email he said they could get them.

scott spencer
10-09-2009, 9:36 AM
My Amana saw blades are rugged and very good performers, but tend to not cut quite as cleanly as my Infinity and Forrest blades. I haven't used an Amana panel raiser but based on my saw blade experiences, I'd expect the Amana panel raisers to be heavy duty.

The best I've used is the Freud 2+2 panel raising set, which has an inherent design advantage. Infinity and Whiteside also make top notch premium bits that I've been very pleased with overall.

Neal Clayton
10-09-2009, 1:04 PM
True.. Should last me forever, considering the amount of work I plan on doing.

I could not find anything by Freud that came close to the profile set I'm looking at.. DID find some alternatives on Amazon priced $70-90, but all are non adjustable.. I like that I can use from 3/16"-1/2" ply for the inner, depending on how I wanted to build it up... IE cheap shop doors with luan as the inner panel, just to play around and get used to working with them.

Oh.. Far as sharpening.. I'd think it no issue with non matched bits. Granted, it would change the profile a bit, or at least the cut depth, but I'm sure with most that shouldn't be an issue.. *shrugs*.. Why I asked. ;)

as a comparison, i use freud bits, and the last time i built doors i was able to build ~10 32x80 passage doors before the bits needed sharpening. considering that would probably add up to about 50 cabinet doors, you probably won't have to worry about sharpening them until you get to the third set of kitchen cabinet doors that you build.

Scott Hildenbrand
10-09-2009, 1:16 PM
It's a small kitchen... So most likely more like my 6th set of kitchen doors.. ;)

Thanks for all the input! :D

Bob Vallaster
10-09-2009, 4:11 PM
Scott,
I bought that specific set 2 months ago for my first attempt at kitchen cabinets.
Reason, as stated by others above, is that I can adjust for variations in the true thickness of nominal 1/4" ply.
My trial article is an island; if it passes muster with my bride, then I'll proceed with the rest of the kitchen.
I used them for the first time last week on a mix of poplar and soft maple. Results make me glad I made the selection. I cannot comment on durability (less than 40' of product cut), but I bought the Amana for its unique adjustability and on the strength of its reputation among users who have commented on this site.
Setup is a trial-measure-adjust process. I found I had to add .008" of shims to create a .210" groove in stick cuts, and .012" of shims to create a .210" tongue on the copes; YMMV. Once that was figured out (and a gage piece made and notes written on it), I was in production. The doors, panel ends and panel back are all done now. Assembly to come after some sanding and interior finishing...
I bought through Holbren; their discount for SMCers easily tipped the price advantage to them. Although they did not stock the item, they gladly took the order, and it was drop-shipped directly from Amana.
Good price, superior product, quick service. What more could a boy ask for?

BobV

Jay Jeffery
10-09-2009, 6:00 PM
Forgive my ignorance if this is a stupid question, but what's the difference between a Shaker style set of Rail and stile bits and a tongue and groove set?

Scott Hildenbrand
10-09-2009, 8:17 PM
Shaker style has a bevel to it.. MISSION style is straight cut, like a tongue and grove.. So you CAN use a T&G set to do doors, so long as the grove fits the plywood inner correctly and does not either a) rattle around or b) just not fit.

But then, you can use a little silicon as a filler if it rattles, which still allows movement for expansion.. Just have to be careful that it does not get on anything to be finished.

Josiah Bartlett
10-10-2009, 1:03 AM
If you find the cutters are slightly dull, a light hone on the flat side of the cutter with a slip stone should nicely sharpen them up. If they were ground like shaper cutters, the flat part is positioned in such a way that it can be ground several times before the profiles don't fit any more.

A cutter that gets dull is pretty much gone.

johnny means
10-10-2009, 1:42 AM
Ok..

Amana cutters and blades are the premier choice in most professional environments. All those other brands with the nonstick finishes don't even come close in durability or quality. But you will pay a premium.