PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy rough lumber in SF Bay Area

scott vroom
10-08-2009, 5:45 PM
Any ideas on where I can purchase reasonably priced rough hardwood stock in or near the SF Bay Area?

Ed Moehlenpah
10-08-2009, 6:53 PM
I haven't been in the bay area for about 2+ years, but I used to go there.

Ed

Wes Grass
10-08-2009, 7:03 PM
MacBeath's: San Francisco, Berkeley, and San Jose. SJ not open weekends.

Handloggers: Richmond.

Thomas S Stockton
10-08-2009, 7:49 PM
Supposedly handloggers is closed but I would call and check. I would add PALS/Earthsource in Berkeley they also have places in SJ and SF. Whitebrothers in Oakland, Mount Storm in Sonoma county, Global wood source in SJ and Jackal ent in Watsonville. Try a search on woodfinder.com and see what else pops up. I've used all of the above except for Jackel and global.
Tom

Matthew Hills
10-08-2009, 8:11 PM
Any ideas on where I can purchase reasonably priced rough hardwood stock in or near the SF Bay Area?

Which part of sfbay are you in?

Santa Clara lumber is closing. I'd expect most of their hardwood stock is gone by now, but you can probably get a few tidbits at good price.

The Macbeath in Milpitas was probably the most reasonable of the regularly-priced places. But I'd recommend just taking a weekday off and visiting most of the stores in the area, just to learn what is out there.

Craigslist is another good source, particularly if you're fine getting air-dried stashes.

Matt

David Dalzell
10-08-2009, 9:39 PM
McBeaths SF sells rough lumber. The Berkeley store sells S2S lumber. I can't comment on prices, but since I always start with rough lumber McBeaths is where I buy.

Wayne Cannon
10-09-2009, 4:05 AM
I just talked with Handloggers earlier today. There have been some changes in the non-flooring half of Handloggers, and it sounds like they are just getting up and running again. My questions were on a different topic, so I have no idea how much effect the changes have had on their hardwood stock.