PDA

View Full Version : My turn - First Gloat

Lee Bidwell
10-08-2009, 5:04 PM
This may not beat out Mike Cruz for gloat of the year, but it's a pretty good one.

I've been scouring Craigslist for months now looking for a deal on a table saw. A while back, I was reading Mike's uber - gloat about a $300 Uni + jointer + extras (IIRC) and thinking to myself, "I never find these deals around here." Then I decided to hit CL one more time, and I see this post:

Old Makita Jointer/Planer combo. Rusty but runs good. FREE to the first person to pick it up. VERY heavy.

I'm thinking, OK, I didn't even know Makita made a J/P combo, but heavy + rust = cast iron, and you can't beat the price, so I bit.

Here is what I brought home. Very rusty, and the planer rollers were completely dry-rotted away.
But after some rust removal (thanks, BTW, for advice from the Creek's archives) and a new mobile base, she looks pretty good. There is some discoloration from where someone spilled a drink on the jointer outfeed table and down to the planer infeed, but nothing that will affect function. The rollers are on their way to Western Roller for recovering (again thanks for advice from Creekers). So, for $150 invested in rollers + knife sharpening, I've got this:
How'd I do?
Anyone have/had this machine? Did you like it? I'm thinking it has to be better than my Delta lunchbox planer, and the beds are longer than on my Delta jointer. I can't wait to actually put some wood through it and try it out.

Mike, did that belt sander take the smile off your face, and if so, can I borrow it?:)

Matt Ranum
10-08-2009, 5:14 PM
Now THATS a gloat!

Heather Thompson
Lee,

Let me be the first to say, YOU SUCK, actually congrats. I do not have any personal experience, but it looks like a sweet deal. Enjoy and be safe!!!!!!

Heather

Brad Wood
can't beat the price and it looks like it cleaned up nice. You don't mention anything about the motor hp 110/220?,

I don't know anything about it, but old cast iron from Makita can't be all bad

Mike Spanbauer
10-08-2009, 5:33 PM
They are very well regarded and hitachi made one just like it. The only, and I mean only complaint you'll hear about them are that the rollers are soft and wear easily so need replacing every so often (years, but compared to normal planers which never need replacement it's frequent I guess :)).

Well done and a hearty u suck!

richard poitras
10-08-2009, 5:38 PM
Nothing like getting on the gloat bus!
Enjoy the ride...

Mike Cruz
10-08-2009, 7:12 PM
You won't get a YOU SUCK from me, but you will get an ATTABOY!!!!!!!!!

Great job. Okay, I think I may have spoken a little quickly on the Gloat of the Year thing, 'cause this one certainly would be in the running.

And nope, the belt sander thing doesn't work. I still have the smile. Every time I walk in my shop, every time I show someone the shop, every time I use the equipment, I smile.

So, smile away. Great find. Keep searching, you never know what people will put on CL. Hey, I already HAD a TS. Didn't need one, wasn't looking. I pretty much have all I need for my shop. Doesn't stop me from still looking every day, multiple times.

Nice job cleaning it up, too. Enjoy!

Jimmy Cox
10-08-2009, 7:45 PM
Great find, keep us posted on how well it works

Carroll Courtney
10-08-2009, 8:08 PM
Your in 1st place with that major gloat.And I think you will be there for along time.It pays to be persistent!!!!Very nice----Carroll

phil harold
10-08-2009, 8:35 PM
I used to use one of those years ago

good little machine seemed a little tippy at times...

glenn bradley
10-08-2009, 11:40 PM
That rocks.

Dave Lehnert
10-08-2009, 11:53 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/15/bill%20murray%20you%20suck.jpg

Lee Bidwell
10-09-2009, 12:15 AM
can't beat the price and it looks like it cleaned up nice. You don't mention anything about the motor hp 110/220?,

From what little I found on the web, this may be the weakest point of this machine. It's powered by a small universal motor (110V, not sure about the HP), and it really screams (not that a planer is supposed to be quiet:))

They are very well regarded and hitachi made one just like it. The only, and I mean only complaint you'll hear about them are that the rollers are soft and wear easily so need replacing every so often (years, but compared to normal planers which never need replacement it's frequent I guess :)).

Well done and a hearty u suck!

No question the stock rollers were no good. The person I talked to at Western roller was very helpful and new exactly the machine I was talking about. Apparently they do a lot of these. They will recover them with a 70 duro (I think?) polyurethane that should be much more durable than the original coating.

You won't get a YOU SUCK from me, but you will get an ATTABOY!!!!!!!!!

Great job. Okay, I think I may have spoken a little quickly on the Gloat of the Year thing, 'cause this one certainly would be in the running.

And nope, the belt sander thing doesn't work. I still have the smile. Every time I walk in my shop, every time I show someone the shop, every time I use the equipment, I smile.

So, smile away. Great find. Keep searching, you never know what people will put on CL. Hey, I already HAD a TS. Didn't need one, wasn't looking. I pretty much have all I need for my shop. Doesn't stop me from still looking every day, multiple times.

Nice job cleaning it up, too. Enjoy!

I still think your gloat is better, or at least it would be more useful to me as I am still running the B&D direct drive table saw that is left over from my old house, where my "shop" was a 4 x 6 storage room. But I'm still searching and saving.

You are right about CL. I am not exactly in a CL hot spot for tools. It's mostly craftsman contractor saws and beat up RASs. But just today someone posted a Felder combo machine. Granted they were asking 15 grand, so it's not exactly a deal, and certainly out of my price range, but I would have NEVER guessed something like that would come up around here. Like you, I'll keep hunting, but I'm going to have to stop letting my wife see the "deals" I come home with :D.

Mike Cruz
10-09-2009, 9:12 AM
Just remember, the "deal" you get is made sweeter by the sale of your old equipment. So, if you find a great deat on a drill press for $100, and sell your old one for $50, you got even a better deal. Kinda like my gloat where I got the Uni and Jointer (an other stuff) for $300 and sold my Ridgid TS for $250 (worth at least $300+) and my Central Machinery Jointer for $100 (practically brand new). So I actually MADE $50 on the deal.

Sorry, not trying to hijack, just making a point how you can justify getting more stuff! :D

Lee Bidwell
10-09-2009, 10:27 AM
No worries, I've thought of that already. If this thing works, out, I'll be selling my other jointer and putting the cash into the table saw fund. In fact, I might even make a few bucks on that deal. Another CL find, I paid $225 for it new in box (delta 6" open stand). The lunchbox planer belongs to my MIL, so I better not sell that one ;).