PDA

View Full Version : Wow! the new foxfire search is awesome!

James Jaragosky
10-08-2009, 3:48 PM
http://showcase.uworks.net/updated.html Wow, the new foxfire search is awesome.
I got some amazing results using this new search engine. want to amaze yourself? put in your own name.
Jim J.

Brad Wood
10-08-2009, 4:33 PM
it is still google search engine, just with some weird stuff layered on top.

James Jaragosky
10-08-2009, 8:19 PM
it is still google search engine, just with some weird stuff layered on top.
Type in the same search term and you will get some different results. I search my name in Google and then the new foxfire and got many different results. also found some logos that I was haveing a hard time locating.

Tim Morton
10-08-2009, 8:23 PM
foxfire????

Wayne Sparkman
10-08-2009, 8:36 PM
The link points to the "Nibbo" search engine, highlighted on the Firefox Showcase page.

James Jaragosky
10-08-2009, 8:55 PM
The link points to the "Nibbo" search engine, highlighted on the Firefox Showcase page.
Firefox is the correct term. I always get that backwards.
Anyway I like the search engine no matter who runs it. anything that gets me unique and different results is OK with me.

James Jaragosky
10-08-2009, 11:30 PM
when I ran my name, It came up with some really unique associations; one was Belinda Williamson's avatar from the creek. I never got that from Google.
How it made that connection I have no Idea, but it is Unique.

mike holden
10-09-2009, 7:39 AM
Okay James,
I am a bit stupid. Your link goes to a page that talks about an update. Where is the box to put your search into?
This sounds cool, but how?
Mike

Neal Clayton
10-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Okay James,
I am a bit stupid. Your link goes to a page that talks about an update. Where is the box to put your search into?
This sounds cool, but how?
Mike

it's a firefox addon, so go to the download page on that site and click the link that points to an XPI file, it'll prompt you to install it. then it will presumably replace the search box at the upper right in firefox.

James Jaragosky
10-09-2009, 1:33 PM
you can try it first without installing the add on. just mouse over the nibbo try it now in the dark blue box.

mike holden
10-09-2009, 3:40 PM
Thanks for the help, but maybe its because I am not too computer literate, nibbo was underwhelming in its results, and took a long time with what it returned.
YMMV,
Mike

James Jaragosky
10-09-2009, 7:36 PM
Thanks for the help, but maybe its because I am not too computer literate, nibbo was underwhelming in its results, and took a long time with what it returned.
YMMV,
Mike

What I liked about it was I got different results. I currently use Google, yahoo, AltaVista, WebCrawler, and dogpile as my primary search engines. Each has its strengths. In some cases, I go through all of them without getting the result I was looking for. So one that gives different results is a plus as far as I am concerned.

Frank Hagan
10-10-2009, 1:01 AM
Nibbo is just a Google custom search engine. Because it is not looking at your Google search cookies, it gives you different results. They may have also limited the range of the search which will give you different top results. I set up a Google custom search page for a diabetes information site that wanted results only from sites they considered authoritative (CDC, NIH, ADA, etc.)

Bing.com gives some worthwhile results, especially for shopping and if you are looking for video content.