PDA

View Full Version : Breast Cancer Awareness - New Balance shoes

Belinda Barfield
10-08-2009, 2:23 PM
I know we don't have a lot of women on the Creek, but we have a lot of wives, sisters, moms, cousins, etc. New Balance is featuring pink running shoes that can be customized with "Survivor", "Running For . . . ", "In Memory of . . . ". If you, or any of the women in your life, are participating in an event this month, or any time, or just want to show support please let them know. I'm Running for Hope.

http://www.nbwebexpress.com/newbalanceWR993KMC.htm?customize=yes

Matt Stiegler
10-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Very cool idea. Thanks for posting.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Belinda,

I'll pass that on to my wife. I think she only needs one more pair of shoes to pass up Immelda Marcos.:rolleyes:

Brian Kent
10-09-2009, 12:43 AM
Thank you Belinda. My sister in law, Kerry, just started chemo. I probably have to go with the pink shoes or a shaved head. I'll ask her what I should wear to honor her.

Brian

Glenn Clabo
10-09-2009, 6:38 AM
Gee thanks Belinda...more shoes...I'm thinking a house addition is in order.

Belinda Barfield
10-09-2009, 8:52 AM
Thank you Belinda. My sister in law, Kerry, just started chemo. I probably have to go with the pink shoes or a shaved head. I'll ask her what I should wear to honor her.

Brian

Brian, I wish Kerry the best with chemo. Go with the shaved head, people will forget that in time, but you may never live down pink running shoes! :eek:

Ken & Glenn, shop whining, you know it's a good cause. :D

Ken Fitzgerald
10-09-2009, 9:01 AM
Ken & Glenn, stop whining, you know it's a good cause. :D

In December I will have had a license for 41 years and it gives me legal rights to whine!:rolleyes:

Belinda Barfield
10-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Glenn,

My most sincere apologies to you. I was aware that you lost your wife to cancer and did not think about that when I posted my remark about whining. I did not in any way mean to offend you, or make light of the loss of a loved one to cancer.

Belinda Barfield
10-09-2009, 10:05 AM
In December I will have had a license for 41 years and it gives me legal rights to whine!:rolleyes:

Remember Ken, shoes are like tools . . . one can never have too many. And these shoes are special!

Glenn Clabo
10-09-2009, 10:24 AM
No worries Belinda...trust me...I took it as said. One of the things I learned while dealing with my first wifes life and death...things like shoes are not...and never will be important enough to even to discussion in any other way than...yes dear your new shoes are my favorite...and I will build another rack on the weekend.
Besides...anyone who raises awareness of breast cancer is an automatic friend of mine...and now you're going to have to deal with that your darn self.

Belinda Barfield
10-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks Glenn. For me it's not just breast cancer, it's all forms of cancer. The first year I participated in the American Cancer Society Relay for Life I picked up one of those round blank pins, or buttons (similar to the old fashioned campaign buttons). At the top I wrote "I Relay for" and then I started writing down the names of everyone I knew who had been diagnosed with cancer. I ended up filling three 4" buttons. That was eight years or so ago and then list is steadily getting longer.

I challenge anyone who is reading this to do the same, make a list. You'll probably be surprised how many lives in your sphere of family and friends have been impacted by some form of cancer. Look at that list and then get out there and find an event you want to support and give it your all. If you need some inspiration go to the next RFL event in your area, cheer on those participating in the Survivor's Lap, and those in the Caregiver's Lap.

I know there are many other worthy causes in the world, this just happens to be mine. I relinquish the soap box now but sincerley hope that I have convinced at least one more person to take up the fight.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Belinda,

The LOML is a 16 year survivor of a rare but extremely deadly form of cervical cancer.

She carries the banner and I support her!

Kent A Bathurst
10-09-2009, 12:12 PM
....... shoes are like tools . . . one can never have too many........

Belinda - too true - esp when we go for a week-long trip and need one extra suitcase for the shoes :) Of course, when the clamps I bought fron Rockler on special arrived last week, she smiles and says "shoes?"

BTW, my wife is the poster child for early detection of breast cancer. Any organization working on this issue has my whole-hearted support (up to the point where I have to wear pink shoes).

Frank Hagan
10-09-2009, 6:05 PM
Its still pretty fresh in our minds. The mammogram this morning was clear, so this October is a much better than last October! That's a roller coaster ride we don't want to take again.

I'll pass on the pink shoes; but I'm with you guys in spirit!

Belinda Barfield
10-10-2009, 9:10 AM
Its still pretty fresh in our minds. The mammogram this morning was clear, so this October is a much better than last October! That's a roller coaster ride we don't want to take again.

I'll pass on the pink shoes; but I'm with you guys in spirit!

Months ago I got one of those e-mails titled "Getting to Know You". I usually just delete these but this one was a little more interesting so I decided to complete it and send it back. One thing on the list was "Name something you never want to do again." Without hesitation my answer was "Wait on a pathology report." You're right, the roller coaster ride ain't fun!

Phil Thien
10-10-2009, 11:48 AM
A great cause. I will also mention that New Balance shoes are made in the U.S. of A. Not all sneakers are made overseas. If you're looking for a way to keep U.S. employees employed, and a great shoe, give them a shot.

Belinda Barfield
10-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the info Phil!

Frank Hagan
10-11-2009, 1:31 PM
Months ago I got one of those e-mails titled "Getting to Know You". I usually just delete these but this one was a little more interesting so I decided to complete it and send it back. One thing on the list was "Name something you never want to do again." Without hesitation my answer was "Wait on a pathology report." You're right, the roller coaster ride ain't fun!

Yeah, the "ride" last year was not anything we want to repeat! But I have a new level of respect for my wife, who has come through it with strength and grace. We're celebrating with a cruise in March (and going to visit the grandchildren in a few days!)