PDA

View Full Version : Laguna lathe chisels

John Beck
10-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Has anyone used chisels from Laguna? Their web site says they are shefield steel Prices are similar to PSI's chinese tools.If they are any good could be a real bargain.

Bernie Weishapl
10-08-2009, 1:03 PM
I bought one of the Laguna spindle gouges and a parting tool at the symposium. Just my opinion but I will keep my PSI tools. IMHO I didn't find the two tools I bought to be better than the PSI tools. Not that impressed with them for what they say they are.

Scott Conners
10-08-2009, 10:55 PM
We had Stuart Batty demo at the Laguna warehouse in Irvine CA. I had no intention of buying anything that day, but walked out with two bowl gouges (1/2" and 5/8") and a big scraper (1 1/4" x 3/8"). They are nice full size tools and handles, the 1/2" bowl gouge steel is longer than my Thompson. Stuart Batty commented on the flute shape of the bowl gouge when he demo'd how to grind a factory gouge into his grind, he really liked the flute shape. I couldn't pass up the price for such nice tools, especially since I had just learned a new way to grind and wanted to learn the freehand part on cheaper steel.

So far in use they've held up pretty well, but I haven't gotten much chance to test them thoroughly.
The flute on my 5/8" gouge seems to be slightly off center, which is annoying for sharpening, it makes the wing shapes subtly different, which isn't helpful for learning freehand grinding. I haven't found a difference in use.

They seem to be about the equal of a Benjamin's best, though I think they might be larger. Definitely a step above Harbor Freight etc, but certainly chinese import quality. I'm very glad I bought mine, the big scraper is an absolute pleasure to use, with a slight negative rake grind.