PDA

View Full Version : Longest board on 6" jointer?

Matt Schuman
10-08-2009, 11:53 AM
I have a 6" jointer with a 45" bed. What are folks' various opinions on how long a 4/4 board I can safely/accurately edge join on this jointer? I'm about to start on a counter top made of laminated 4/4 maple and i'm going to need to edge joint 30+ boards. Thanks!

Mike Pousson
10-08-2009, 12:02 PM
I've jointed 6/4 QS white oak 8 feet long for a table top successfully, but I had some help holding the boards on the out feed side. The longer it is the heavier it gets on out feed side.

Scott Hildenbrand
10-08-2009, 12:07 PM
If you're doing 30+ boards at any given length (such as the 8' stated above) then you'll surely be needing an outfeed support table for the jointer. You can whip up a long, narrow box and just rest it on a few saw horses so that it's level with the outfeed side of the jointer table. Key will be to make sure that it's level.. If the outfeed support box has any rise or fall in the end, it will throw off your jointing. Especially if it's got a rise to it.

Quinn McCarthy
10-08-2009, 1:39 PM
I have done 16' material with a 6" jointer. I used 3 roller stands that I set up with a 6' level. The bed is 54" which is a bit longer than most. One infeed end and 2 outfeed end.

I had a DJ15

I do so much work on long boards that I upgraded to a DJ20

I have done 18' on there. Had to open one the door behind the jointer.

I hope that help.

Matt Schuman
10-08-2009, 3:12 PM
Thanks guys, sounds like with some enginuity I should be able to pull it off!

Harold Burrell
10-08-2009, 3:24 PM
Personally...I wouldn't try to mess with boards any longer than a mile.

But that's just me.

(OK...that was silly. I do apologize.) :o

Scott T Smith
10-08-2009, 6:26 PM
Personally...I wouldn't try to mess with boards any longer than a mile.

But that's just me.

(OK...that was silly. I do apologize.) :o

Well, I personally haven't messed with any boards that were a mile long... but I have planed some that were 44' long...

Scott Hildenbrand
10-08-2009, 6:42 PM
44'? What the heck do you do with a 44' long board that it needs to be.. wait.. Boat building by chance?

Scott T Smith
10-08-2009, 9:20 PM
44'? What the heck do you do with a 44' long board that it needs to be.. wait.. Boat building by chance?

Nah, I have my own sawmill and dry kiln and enjoy doing things out of the ordinary.

These particular boards were used for fascia trim boards on a barn and an old Sears "kit house" on my farm. I thought that it would be fun to make the trim from a single board, and see if anybody noticed!

I haven't maxed out my sawmill yet, but expect to late this year by milling some 58' boards to be used as live edge siding on my new shop. My kiln is only good for 44' of length, so I'll have to use Timbor or another method to sterilize the longer boards.

Here is a photo of some of the 44 footers. For comparison, the building in the background is my old woodworking shop. It was 36' wide.

ps - sorry for the thread hijack - technically these were planed instead of jointed...

Wayne Sparkman
10-08-2009, 9:38 PM
A 44 ft. feast table/groaning board comes to mind as another great project!

Scott Hildenbrand
10-08-2009, 9:45 PM
That's astounding.. Even IF it was just planed.. ;) I'm envious for sure.

Harold Burrell
10-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Well, I personally haven't messed with any boards that were a mile long... but I have planed some that were 44' long...

44' LONG!!! :eek: