PDA

View Full Version : Mitutoyo Dial Calipers

Michael Peet
10-08-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm looking for a good durable set of dial calipers. New Starrett 120-series units are indeed being made with plastic bezels and "crystals", as confirmed by their tech support, which makes me sad :(.

Does anyone have a recent 505-series dial caliper from Mitutoyo (like in the attached photo)? I'm wondering:

1. Is the bezel cover (part A) plastic or metal?
2. Is the crystal (part B) actually glass / crystal or is it plastic?

I called their tech support but they did not know.

Guess I should look at Brown & Sharpe also.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Cary Lane
10-08-2009, 12:09 PM
I have a 6" Mitutoyo dial. I can check the model number tonight at home. It's a fairly recent pair I got at a pawn shop for $35, I think.

Bezel must be plastic as I must have gotten some brake cleaner overspray on it and there are a few spots showing on the bezel now. I think they will polish out with Novus plastic polish but I haven't tried that yet since there are only a few small spots and they don't affect me seeing the graduations.

Update: I think by bezel you mean the ring holding the crystal. In that case my set has both plastic bezel and crystal. My caliper is a #505-626-50. Did find a site that sells parts for many Mitutoyo calipers and instruments - http://longislandindicator.com/p188.html

May be of interest to some.

mickey cassiba
10-08-2009, 12:47 PM
I have a 505, but it is almost fifteen y/o. It's plastic. Also have a B&S, 7 y/o,
plastic(poly carbonate). Probably be hard to find a glass faced caliper, unless you go pretty old.
I could be wrong though, haven't shopped for quite some time...
Mickey

Lee Schierer
10-08-2009, 1:22 PM
I haven't seen glass domes on calipers in quite some time. I went digital a few years ago as they are faster reading and less prone to dust/dirt contamination.

Michael Peet
10-08-2009, 2:08 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. It is looking like all the dial calipers are coming with plastic components now.

I went digital a few years ago as they are faster reading and less prone to dust/dirt contamination.

And I think this might be why. Apparently the mechanisms on the dial calipers tend to get fouled after a while, so less effort is put into their manufacture. Either the old-style vernier calipers or the newer digital ones end up being more reliable in the long run.

The thing keeping me away from the digital models had been the batteries, but I discovered that Mitutoyo offers a solar powered set:

mitutoyo.com/TerminalMerchandisingGroup.aspx?group=1383

Mike

Heather Thompson
10-08-2009, 2:16 PM
Michael,

My dad bought me an Etalon 6" dial caliper about thirty years ago, the same model he had in his tool chest, the bezel cover is metal, the crystal is plastic.

Heather

Lee Schierer
10-08-2009, 2:53 PM
The thing keeping me away from the digital models had been the batteries, but I discovered that Mitutoyo offers a solar powered set:

Mike

The batteries on my HF special (<$20) lasts 6-9 months and will even turn itself off if I forget. I didn't feel for woodworking that I needed the accuracy of a higher priced caliper.

george wilson
10-08-2009, 6:24 PM
I have never seen a glass crystal dial caliper. I have some very old dial indicators,so old that their plastic crystals have turned yellow. I think they must be from the 40's or 50's at the newest. My oldest dial caliper,from 1974 is plastic,too. I remember when Starrett dial calipers went from metal bezels to plastic. It was in the 80's.

Kyle Iwamoto
10-08-2009, 7:43 PM
I just ordered an Oshlun Digital Fractional caliper. I friend of mine bought one and I was impressed at the quality. I'm getting too old to convert .301 to a fraction that makes sense to me. The caliper reads .001 or 1/128. Pretty slick. No, it's nowhere near the quality of a Starrett. 45 bucks from Amazon. Close enough for me if it reads 64ths, much less 128ths. Wood swells more than that.

Just something to consider. Oh, it turns itself off too.

mickey cassiba
10-08-2009, 8:46 PM
I've been thinking about a fractional. Now days I'm dealing more and more with fractions, instead of decimal inches. Does it have a roundup(or down) function? Here in the moulding plant the most precision required is 1/32 on set up, 1/16 on production. My poor old brain is tired of math, I want to take as many short cuts as I can so I can think about the important stuff...like setting up MY shop!

Barry Vabeach
10-08-2009, 9:00 PM
Mike, if your concern about batteries is the flashing digits, try using SR44 batteries instead of LR44, I made the change a year ago and have been much happier. http://www.fliptronics.com/tip0006.html

Bruce Page
10-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Guess I should look at Brown & Sharpe also.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

B&S has the best “feel" IMO and my favorite for 30+ years - and I’ve tried them all.

As far as I know they all have plastic bezels which are much more durable in an industrial environment.

Brad Westcott
10-08-2009, 11:22 PM
I haven't seen glass domes on calipers in quite some time. I went digital a few years ago as they are faster reading and less prone to dust/dirt contamination.

+1

The onlly thing I don't like about mine is that it is solar powered. It can be fussy at times if not set out in the light for a while.

Otherwise, go digital. I have had mine for many years and it has seen some abuse and it just keeps ticking.

P.S. My Mitutoyo does not do fractions but I have a cheat sheet hung on my wall with all my conversions. Works for me. It does do metric.

William Addison
10-09-2009, 6:26 AM
In several posts people have implied that the cheap HF digital calipers lack accuracy. I have had several sets of them and I also own a Starett dial caliper. I have compared readings on them numerous times and they have always been the same.

mickey cassiba
10-09-2009, 7:36 AM
In several posts people have implied that the cheap HF digital calipers lack accuracy. I have had several sets of them and I also own a Starett dial caliper. I have compared readings on them numerous times and they have always been the same.
I use several sets of "off brand" calipers in various locations throughout my work place. Saves me having to carry (and possibly drop) my "benchmark" instruments. around. Initially the accuracy of these instruments is great, but over time they degrade. I buy these "throwaways" wherever I can get the best price. They are checked weekly against a set of shop grade gauge blocks, which are in turn sent to a calibration lab annually, as required.
When the inexpensive sets are found to be inaccurate, as they will over time, they are disposed of, usually given to employees for their own use, but not allowed to be used in setups, or machine repair.
I have nothing against HF instruments, or any other brand for that matter, but long term repeatability is crucial in maintaining our ISO certification. Soft racks and gears are the primary cause of failure , along with mushrooming of the measuring surfaces.
Show me a $10 instrument that will last 15+ years of constant usage, and I will buy a dozen.
Inversely, I have a 4" vernier caliper of unknown manufacture, that remains in my pocket, and is used constantly to spot check production runs of mouldings and S4S lumber. I've never gotten a bad read off of it at the 1/64" tolerance we maintain for general runs. Of course, custom runs of "exotic" woods are held to much tighter tolerances, usually specified by the customer. The pocket caliper just won't do on such runs.
Mickey

John McCaskill
10-12-2009, 2:20 PM
+1

The onlly thing I don't like about mine is that it is solar powered. It can be fussy at times if not set out in the light for a while.

Otherwise, go digital. I have had mine for many years and it has seen some abuse and it just keeps ticking.

P.S. My Mitutoyo does not do fractions but I have a cheat sheet hung on my wall with all my conversions. Works for me. It does do metric.

I have the digital, solar powered Mitutoyo as well. The battery no longer holds a charge, and I can't see where to get to it to change it. Any ideas?

John

Brad Westcott
10-12-2009, 2:56 PM
I have the digital, solar powered Mitutoyo as well. The battery no longer holds a charge, and I can't see where to get to it to change it. Any ideas?

John

John,

If your model is the same or like mine (Digimatic Solar - CD-S6"P/Code #500-451), I do not think it has a battery. I have had mine for MANY years and have never replaced a battery. It just works off light. As long as I expose it, it fires right up.

I guess you could do a search for a manual but I am pretty sure I am right. In matter of fact, that was one of the main reasons I bought it.

Yours won't fire up at all? I would place it under a strong light for a while and see if it will light up for you. I may be able to find a manual but I would not bet on it.

P.S. My only guess if you are having problems is either the solar cell is failing or a capacitor inside is failing. If you are at a loss, I would just give their service department a call. They have excellent service and they may not even charge to to evaluate\fix it!

John McCaskill
10-12-2009, 7:19 PM
John,

If your model is the same or like mine (Digimatic Solar - CD-S6"P/Code #500-451), I do not think it has a battery. I have had mine for MANY years and have never replaced a battery. It just works off light. As long as I expose it, it fires right up.

I guess you could do a search for a manual but I am pretty sure I am right. In matter of fact, that was one of the main reasons I bought it.

Yours won't fire up at all? I would place it under a strong light for a while and see if it will light up for you. I may be able to find a manual but I would not bet on it.

P.S. My only guess if you are having problems is either the solar cell is failing or a capacitor inside is failing. If you are at a loss, I would just give their service department a call. They have excellent service and they may not even charge to to evaluate\fix it!

I leave it where the sun can reach it. It's gotten progressively worse over the last ferw years, though. It will fire up, but turn off after a minute or two. Have a number for their service dept? I did a web search but didn't find it.

Thanks

John

Brad Westcott
10-12-2009, 8:34 PM
I leave it where the sun can reach it. It's gotten progressively worse over the last ferw years, though. It will fire up, but turn off after a minute or two. Have a number for their service dept? I did a web search but didn't find it.

Thanks

John

Here you go.

http://www.mitutoyo.com/template1.aspx?id=5

John McCaskill
10-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Here you go.

http://www.mitutoyo.com/template1.aspx?id=5

Thanks for the help!

Fred Hargis
10-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Either the old-style vernier calipers or the newer digital ones end up being more reliable in the long run.

Mike

I wouldn't bet on that, at least as far as the digitals go. This was 6-7 years back but I had both a 6" Starret and a 6" B&S digital that failed...the electronics went bum. When I called about repairs, the answer was the same from both companies: "we don't work on that model anymore, but we will allow you a trade in on the new model", and in both cases the total cost after the trade in was just about the discount price I could have found on either pair. I have since replaced them with an 8" Mitutoyo, and so far it has eld up real well. The batteries in them seem to be extremely long-lived.

Michael Peet
10-16-2009, 8:47 PM
Well, hopefully I have solved this dilemma. Found these Starrett 6" vernier calipers on ebay for $150 (with original box and wood case), and they seem to be in great shape. Never needs batteries, no gears to muck up. Measurements match the trusty micrometer I inherited from Grandpa. New these go for over $500!

Here's the pic, to make it all official-like:

Kyle Iwamoto
10-16-2009, 9:03 PM
I've been thinking about a fractional. Now days I'm dealing more and more with fractions, instead of decimal inches. Does it have a roundup(or down) function? Here in the moulding plant the most precision required is 1/32 on set up, 1/16 on production. My poor old brain is tired of math, I want to take as many short cuts as I can so I can think about the important stuff...like setting up MY shop!

Unfortunantly, it does not have a round up or down. 49/128 is just a meaningless as .3828, but if you move the caliper out (or in) it will go to 25/64 (50/128 which is not displayed). Just as meaningless, but getting better... LOL

It works really well when you get close to you 1/8 measurements, if you remember 1/8 = 4/32 = 16/128 etc. 17/128 is close....

Bruce Page
10-16-2009, 9:16 PM
Well, hopefully I have solved this dilemma. Found these Starrett 6" vernier calipers on ebay for $150 (with original box and wood case), and they seem to be in great shape. Never needs batteries, no gears to muck up. Measurements match the trusty micrometer I inherited from Grandpa. New these go for over $500!

Here's the pic, to make it all official-like:

Good choice Michael. Starrett makes the best "vernier" calipers bar none.

BTW, those pictured are 8"