PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Idea Factory

matt heinzel
10-08-2009, 9:02 AM
I know this isn't engraving, so I guess it can be moved if the admins need to.

I was wondering if anyone knows how companies like Idea factory do the direct color onto their acrylics?

Jason Baker1522
10-08-2009, 9:08 AM
I am not an expert, but I did own a sign and printing company for a while. I had a UV printer. I could print directly to PVC, Acrylic, ECT... I am not sure if that is the method they use but I know that is a way of doing it.

Jason

matt heinzel
10-08-2009, 10:20 AM
I just ran across a printer from Direct Color Systems. It prints directly onto pretty much anything. Acrylic, wood, metal, ect.... It costs $16,000+
:-)

Martin Boekers
10-08-2009, 10:30 AM
There are a couple ways to do it these, the easiest is being directly printed to it with a flatbed printer. Another way is laminating a printed piece to it. A third way is using a UV cure adhesive to mount a print to it. Water slide decals would work also.

I haven't seen these in person yet, but I did notice that they had a sample set available for $10 so I might try that and see the quality of the product.

Marty

P.S. Be VERY careful if experimenting with this as there may be a patent on it!!! LOL!

matt heinzel
10-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Martin
Thanks for the info!

Doug Griffith
10-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Most likely UV flatbed printed with a flood of white screen printed afterwards. The opacity of white ink isn't quite there yet for a see through item.

Dan Hintz
10-08-2009, 11:25 AM
P.S. Be VERY careful if experimenting with this as there may be a patent on it!!! LOL!

http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/forum/smileyvault-stirthepot.gif

Martin Boekers
10-08-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm sorry, I tried to resist, I really did!!!:D