PDA

View Full Version : bowls gouges

cody michael
10-08-2009, 7:27 AM
i don't have a bowl gouge and would like to get one. money is a very important factor. i was looking at these

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCBT4.html?mybuyscid=5030450020

are they decent? i have the better harbor freight kit but no bowl gouge and i've wanted a bigger scraper. is there anything thats a better value?

where is the best place to buy psi stuff?

George Van
10-08-2009, 7:43 AM
Cody, I have some of the BB tools from PS and find them similar to my P&N tools for edge holding. The scraper steel seems the same as the gouges. The scrapers are not as thick as some of the others but I just make sure i am not reaching too far off the tool rest when I use them. I use the gouges for special grinds (Saving my Thompson) I do not use often or when I want to create an unusual bevel angle to suit a special cut. I do not particularly care for the steep "V" flute but the price is right for the tasks I ask them to do.

Steve Schlumpf
10-08-2009, 8:19 AM
Cody - I started out with the Benjamin's Best 5/8" V bowl gouge and their 1 1/2" heavy duty scraper - good tools. The gouge finally wore down to the point I replaced it with one of Doug Thompson's and the scraper is still the one I use today. Good tools for the money!

The set you are looking at - the gouges are good but I would not want the scrapers, but that is just me. Here are the tools I was talking about. It would save you a couple of bucks:
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LX230.html
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LX130.html

Richard Madison
10-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Cody,
I have the set of three BB bowl gouges also, bought several years ago. Like George I do not care for the very deep V flutes, but still use the smallest (3/8) gouge frequently. Will eventually replace it with a Thompson, as it requires too frequent sharpening. If you already have a good grip on your sharpening skills (in order to not waste a lot of expensive metal sharpening) you might actually be money ahead to buy ONE Thompson 1/2" V. For ref. I don't have dozens of tools and some of the most frequently used are home made, so I do not advise purchase of a relatively expensive item if there is a better (IMHO) alternative.

Can't help w/ scrapers, as I scrape and shear scrape w/ a bowl gouge.

Skip Spaulding
10-08-2009, 1:25 PM
Cody, I have a BB 1-1/2" wide x 3/8 bowl scraper and 3/8" bowl gouge I use a lot, but also have a Ellsworth gouge that I would hate to part with.
Check out "Woodcraft", they have many options. If you stay with it and enjoy it Thompson and many others will get your attention! Good luck:D

Jake Helmboldt
10-08-2009, 1:27 PM
Cody, I second the Thompson reccommendation. If you can turn a handle it is a pretty cheap option for an excellent gouge. A little more than a PSI, but half of what any other top name gouge would cost. I spent a total of $0.00 on my handle since I used scrap wood and an old brass compression fitting for the ferrule.

HD (yes, the orange BORG) has Oneway scrapers on blowout online right now. Mine should be here today so I don't know how good it is, but Oneway has a great reputation, so I'm guessing it would be one of the best bets for a cheap scraper. In the end you would have two tools compared to 4 (with the PSI set) for about the same price or a little more. But the PSI set has tools that I don't think are needed.

cody michael
10-08-2009, 1:43 PM
i have an ok grasp of sharpening.i want to get a bigger grind and a jig but rigth now i just freehand it. should i get the cheaper ones now and wait on the pricey ones till i'm better at sharpening?

Richard Madison
10-08-2009, 3:05 PM
Cody,
If you're just freehanding it now, most would suggest one of the BB gouges until you buy or make a sharpening jig. You will want to experiment with the grind a bit anyway, and the BB gouge would be the place to do that. Suggest the 1/2". The 5/8" is way too pointy for me and hard to control. But other turners, perhaps more skilled than I, probably like it ok.