PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Planes

Gary Breckenridge
10-08-2009, 1:31 AM
Stanley has a new or old line of planes advertised. There are five of them. One phrase is, "New" and another phrase is, "Revisits." Has anyone used them or done a review of them? I wonder about quality; is Stanley just cashing in on nostalgia and their name? Are they made in the states?;)

Jeff Sudmeier
10-08-2009, 6:45 AM
I saw those as well and wondered the same thing. They sure make it seem like they are the cat's meow...

Don Dorn
10-08-2009, 7:13 AM
They may be ok, but for about $20 more on average, you can buy a LV which in my opinion, would be a great $20 to invest. I love my LN too, but of course, there is more a $ difference.

For me, I'll spend the extra and get a blade ready to go and one that is already dead flat on the back saving me a great deal of time over a water stone. My time may not be worth much, but I'd rather use a new plane than prepare it for use.

John Keeton
10-08-2009, 7:59 AM
There have multiple threads discussing the new Stanleys in the Neanderthal forum. You may want to check out those comments. I don't believe any of the threads are currently hot, and as I recall the last posts were a couple/three weeks ago.