PDA

View Full Version : Spinny Thing of the Week

Jim Becker
09-21-2004, 9:56 AM
This is the completed Green Ash bowl that I showed still on the lathe in the "Weekend Accomplishments" thread. It is yet to be buffed out...I like to wait at least a week for that so the oil finish is fully cured. The piece is approximately 12" in diameter and 8" tall. Wall thickness is an even 5/8", which while "thick", works well for the shape. The rim is burnt and burnished and the finish is Waterlox; multiple coats wiped on while on the lathe and "pushed" via friction. A nice, basic, functional object. Not a great photo, but I have yet to get my light booth put together...something else on "the list"...

John Renzetti
09-21-2004, 10:00 AM
hi Jim, Nice job. Keep me posted on that Festool event.
take care
John

Brad Schmid
09-21-2004, 10:14 AM
Nice job Jim. Did you burnish the rim with shavings? or ?

Brad

Jim Becker
09-21-2004, 11:17 AM
Nice job Jim. Did you burnish the rim with shavings?
Good call. Shavings to remove the loose char. This has the effect on ash and species with similar grain to accentuate the grain/pores. Sometimes you need to burn more than once to get full coverage as you cannot leave the torch on too long without damaging the piece, distorting it too much or burning areas that you don't want burnt. As a matter of fact, if you only want the rim to be burned you need to return with tools after burning and burnishing to cut away (very, very, very light cuts!) any "over burn/scorching" on the inside and outside surfaces before proceeding with power or hand sanding.

Jason Tuinstra
09-21-2004, 11:31 AM
Jim, listen to you, "not a good photo." I was going to comment on the photo and the fine quality of that Nikon and then you play it down. What kind of light booth are you looking to build? For my work I'd love to get some Photoflex softboxes to do some better shooting of my work. I don't know if you've ever checked them out, but you might be interested in looking at something like this for your work: http://www.photoflex.com/photoflex/index.html Do I need to say at this point that I have no affiliation?

Anyway, great looking bowl. The edge on this one really sets it off. Great proportion as well.

Jim Becker
09-21-2004, 11:39 AM
Jason, I'm going to build what Jamie Donaldson and John Lucas (fellow turners and pro photographers - John is from Tenn and is not the same Lucas of woodshopdemos fame) refer to as "Phrugal". Simple structures of foam mounting board using reflective light, a simple bound card and a white window shade or grey photo paper for a background. This was the topic of two sessions at the recent AAW Symposium in Orlando. Dirt cheap and with Jamie's method, only ONE 500w hallogen light is needed for near studio quality shots. I'll certainly post a thread on what I build when I get to it. After learning what I have from them, I can see no reason whatsoever to spend the money on a commercially produced soft box and expensive lighting. It's just not necessary!

Thanks for your kind comments on the bowl and the shot, however. The lime thyme really enjoys being a supporting actor in pictures I take in it's neighborhood!

Jason Tuinstra
09-21-2004, 12:21 PM
Jim, can't wait to see what you put together. I've read a number of things about using whiteboard, but I've never seen the finished product. Being the resident Dutchie, I'd love to save money where ever I can. Now go enjoy those new Festool toys. :)

Brad Schmid
09-21-2004, 12:34 PM
Good call. Shavings to remove the loose char. This has the effect on ash and species with similar grain to accentuate the grain/pores. Sometimes you need to burn more than once to get full coverage as you cannot leave the torch on too long without damaging the piece, distorting it too much or burning areas that you don't want burnt. As a matter of fact, if you only want the rim to be burned you need to return with tools after burning and burnishing to cut away (very, very, very light cuts!) any "over burn/scorching" on the inside and outside surfaces before proceeding with power or hand sanding.

Cool. I like the glossy surface char technique. At first I thought it was dye. I've seen deeply charred & wire brushed Ash forms many times and that effect never really did appeal much to me. I like what you did here. Thanks for posting it.

Jim Becker
09-21-2004, 12:38 PM
Cool. I like the glossy surface char technique. At first I thought it was dye. I've seen deeply charred & wire brushed Ash forms many times and that effect never really did appeal much to me..
Brad, ash (and oak) is one of the best woods to use the charing technique for some reason. David Ellsworth has a number of ash and oak pieces he did this way. I think it has to do with the way that the densities vary quite nicely between the early and late wood. I think the next ash piece I do, I'll try burning the whole thing...as long as it's warm enough to open all the doors and windows in the shop!

Brad Schmid
09-21-2004, 1:10 PM
I think the next ash piece I do, I'll try burning the whole thing...as long as it's warm enough to open all the doors and windows in the shop!

I do this all the time! I call it "Bar-B-Que de failure". It usually involves meat and failed "artistic" expression :D

errr... that's probably not what you were talking about now was it :confused:

Seriously though... Please post it for us when you do it.
Cheers

Mac McAtee
09-21-2004, 1:13 PM
Well done, Jim!

Michael Stafford
09-21-2004, 1:46 PM
The fine proportions and shape make it look smaller than the stated size. I like the charring. This is something new for me and I'll be experimenting with a new technique soon. Better get the fire extinguisher recharged first... Very nice, Jim!

Wes Bischel
09-21-2004, 2:12 PM
Really nice Jim. The rim really sets the piece off nicely. The color of the ash is really nice as well - very creamy, almost butter colored.

Did you just use a regular propane torch to blacken the rim - or do you have something smaller? Just curious.

Wes

Jim Becker
09-21-2004, 2:16 PM
Did you just use a regular propane torch to blacken the rim - or do you have something smaller? Just curious.
Regular, cheap propane torch...fortunately with a "click to start" feature. Same one I sweat pipes with!

David Klug
09-21-2004, 2:32 PM
I really like the way the grain runs around the bowl Jim. It really looks neat.

Chris Padilla
09-21-2004, 2:45 PM
Jim,

That is a scary, scary, SCARY new avatar you have there my friend! :D

Jason Tuinstra
09-21-2004, 3:45 PM
Jim,

That is a scary, scary, SCARY new avatar you have there my friend! :D

Chris, I agree :D I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley :p

Although, that nose of yours is pretty intimidating as well. Especially given the fact that it's so bright it could light up a dark alley. :p

Wes Bischel
09-21-2004, 3:49 PM
Jim,
Please tell us your new avatar isn't a mug shot after a bad night on the town! :eek:

Oh, and thanks for the info.

Wes

Jim Becker
09-21-2004, 3:58 PM
I really like the way the grain runs around the bowl Jim. It really looks neat.
David, one of the "design" elements that turners need to pay attention to is how they orient the blank on the machine before they develop the final shape. Many folks, at least in the early stages of their spinny addiction, will immediatly slap a faceplate on a piece of wood and start cutting away. Sometimes, you can get away with that, but it's more likely that you'll not necessarily have a balance with the grain of the wood or some feature in the material that might enhance the final project.

The very experienced turners that I've observed (and in some cases taken classes with) are more prone to mounting a hunk of wood between centers first and then with some careful manipulation of the wood after a little cutting here and there, they will reposition things one or more times until the wood is lined up exactly on the axis that will produce the best end result. Only then do they turn a tenon (or flat for a faceplate) and proceed with the rest of the work. In this manner, you can have the concentric rings, if you prefer, to be almost perfectly centered on the bottom of the bowl or vessel for a balanced look. Or...you might intentionally skew things for effect. This is also one of the reasons that these same experienced folks are less likely to make up pretty band-sawn rounds to sit on the shelf until they are ready to turn them...when you do that, you've pretty much committed to the orientation. A half-log, however, can be manipulated between centers until you get exactly what you want for a given turning. That's VERY important for any natural edge pieces if you want the "wings" to be even and level with each other in all planes.

That all said...I got lucky with this hunk of wood when I originally rough turned it as I didn't have to do too much manipulation between centers to get the grain pretty much on-axis. I'm also pleased with the result and also like the lighter, creamy color of the Green Ash with Waterlox as compared to "other" ash species I've turned previously.

Jim Becker
09-21-2004, 4:01 PM
Please tell us your new avatar isn't a mug shot after a bad night on the town!
Nope. I'm a boring person and don't have nights out on the town, other than an occasional "nice dinner" with customers/business associates when traveling. That's me...a new "fall" shot without the sunglasses. Strangely enough...same shirt as the "spring" profile shot.

Jason Tuinstra
09-21-2004, 4:04 PM
Jim, I hope you don't mind, but I always wanted to see what I would look like with long hair. I doubt that the church would go for it, but I think I'd be one hip dude with the kids :p :) :D

Okay, I'll get back to work now. And I'll be sure to destory this picture ASAP. Promise. :p

Jim Becker
09-21-2004, 4:08 PM
Jim, I hope you don't mind, but I always wanted to see what I would look like with long hair. I doubt that the church would go for it, but I think I'd be one hip dude with the kids LOL! Well, many may actually like it considering that the fellow you talk about from the pulpit is most often depicted with longer locks. The hat doesn't work, however... (Some scholars now say that men of that era may actually had worn their hair short...but that's not a discussion for a woodworking forum!)

Jason Tuinstra
09-21-2004, 4:11 PM
LOL!!! Point taken!

Dick Parr
09-21-2004, 4:55 PM
Very nice Jim, I like the shape and the heavy look of it. The rim gives it a very nice touch. :)

Michael Stafford
09-21-2004, 5:18 PM
I have learned several things in this one thread. I am pretty much a round block on the shelf kind of a guy. But I have only been turning for 4 years so I do have a lot to learn. I look forward to the thread on the lighting booth. I need a way to take better pictures particularly slides for entries into some of the shows I do. I thought the digital camera would help but in actuality I need schooling in lighting. I am also handicapped in that I have eyes pointing in different directions like Steve Clardy's avatar image of Jack Elam.

Jim Becker
09-21-2004, 5:36 PM
Jim, I hope you don't mind, but I always wanted to see what I would look like with long hair.
Could be worse...

Jason Tuinstra
09-21-2004, 7:16 PM
Could be worse...

Now that's just down right funny! :D

John Miliunas
09-21-2004, 10:01 PM
Now THAT is really cool! Oh, the bowl is pretty neat, as well! :D But you with zero hair...Well...naw...let's not go there! :D Anyhow, I'd be afraid of burning down my shop if I tried that! Heck, I'd be happy to produce as nice a bowl w/o the charred rim! Nice job, Jim! (Like your PS skills, too!) :cool:

Jim Becker
09-21-2004, 10:03 PM
Yule Brenner I am not...

Mark Singer
09-22-2004, 12:08 AM
Beautiful work! Great design! The edge is cool!
I like the new avatar....now your looking at us..."here's looking at you kid":cool:

Jim Ketron
09-22-2004, 12:12 AM
Nice Job Jim!!
The top looks great looks like black paint.
Jim