PDA

View Full Version : Stupid ladder

Mitchell Andrus
10-07-2009, 10:45 PM
I put an extension ladder on top of the 'ol minivan for an 11 hour trip from NJ to NC. BOY, do those hollow rungs ever howl in the wind. Whooooooooooo... less than 5 minutes on the highway I couldn't take the noise anymore... I had to stop and put it inside the car. Not a problem, it just fit - dash board to the rear window on top of a load of tools, boxes, etc.

Y'know how aluminum ladders rattle a bit when you use them, or move them, even look at them? Well, with this thing 12 inches from my head....

Rattle, rattle, rattle, squeek, ticka, ticka, rattle, ticka, squeek, rattle, ticka, squeek, rattle, squeek, ticka, ticka, rattle, ticka, squeek, rattle, ticka, squeek.

11 hours!

Life's a trip - and I may need therapy.

James Jaragosky
10-07-2009, 11:27 PM
I put an extension ladder on top of the 'ol minivan for an 11 hour trip from NJ to NC. BOY, do those hollow rungs ever howl in the wind. Whooooooooooo... less than 5 minutes on the highway I couldn't take the noise anymore... I had to stop and put it inside the car. Not a problem, it just fit - dash board to the rear window on top of a load of tools, boxes, etc.

Y'know how aluminum ladders rattle a bit when you use them, or move them, even look at them? Well, with this thing 12 inches from my head....

Rattle, rattle, rattle, squeek, ticka, ticka, rattle, ticka, squeek, rattle, ticka, squeek, rattle, squeek, ticka, ticka, rattle, ticka, squeek, rattle, ticka, squeek.

11 hours!

Life's a trip - and I may need therapy.
I put expanding spray foam in the rungs to kill the sound.

JohnT Fitzgerald
10-08-2009, 7:07 AM
You could have sold your ladder on Craigslist, and then picked up a new one on CL once you got there! :) who knows - the person that bought yours might have made the 11 hour trip from NC to get it, and then you could have bought it back once in NC! :)

Seriously though....now when someone asks "What has you rattled?", you'll have the perfect answer....

Lee Schierer
10-08-2009, 8:27 AM
I had that problem once, stopped at a gas station and stuffed the rungs with wads of paper towels. Worked like a charm and none came out on the trip.

Randy Cohen
10-08-2009, 8:44 AM
turn up the stereo.

Jason Roehl
10-08-2009, 8:56 AM
I'm a painting contractor by day. Welcome to my world.

Most of the time, I just load the ladders over the passenger side of the truck. Keeps the noise a little further away. Also, whether you mount the ladder feet to the front or back, and which side up makes a difference, depending on the shape of your rungs (I won't buy a ladder with round rungs--too hard on the feet).

Lee Schierer
10-09-2009, 2:24 PM
I'm a painting contractor by day. Welcome to my world.

Most of the time, I just load the ladders over the passenger side of the truck. Keeps the noise a little further away. Also, whether you mount the ladder feet to the front or back, and which side up makes a difference, depending on the shape of your rungs (I won't buy a ladder with round rungs--too hard on the feet).
The good news is Jason that if your ladder is humming, the deer hear it miles before you get there and don't run out in front of you.:D

phil harold
10-09-2009, 3:03 PM
where is the man in you?

duct tape the holes...

Jim O'Dell
10-09-2009, 4:51 PM
where is the man in you?

duct tape the holes...

That was my thought!! But stuffing the holes with free paper is a cost saving way. aAt least you'll have a couple options on the way home!! :DJim.

Kent A Bathurst
10-09-2009, 5:30 PM
where is the man in you?

duct tape the holes...

heh-heh-heh.