PDA

View Full Version : Mexican dentists - recomendations

Dave Johnson29
10-07-2009, 9:18 PM
Hi All,

Chipped a chunk off a crown yesterday and have another one about the same age which is also ready to start falling apart I am guessing.

Anyone have any recommendations for dentist in Nogales?

I called a couple of locals and they want 1000-bucks each crown. I hate buying them a new Mercedes so I am looking for alternatives.

Thanks

Steve Rozmiarek
10-07-2009, 9:43 PM
Dave, isn't Nogales only 30 miles or so from Sierra Vista, AZ? Bet there are some decent ones around the Army base.

Maybe you could add which Nogales you are in? There are at least 4.

Joe Pelonio
10-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Hi All,

I called a couple of locals and they want 1000-bucks each crown. I hate buying them a new Mercedes so I am looking for alternatives.

Thanks
Heck, for $1,000 I'd jump at it. My crowns must have have paid for my dentists house and pool for about double that.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-07-2009, 10:44 PM
You think crowns are expensive, try implants. I'm looking at $32,000 worth of dental work over the next 18 months. While I have dental insurance, it won't cover 98% of it. I was hoping to retire next March. That won't be happening.

Bob Vavricka
10-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Dave,
Check to see if there is a dental school nearby. My daughter is a dental school student at Oklahoma University Dental School and did four crowns for me (3 gold and 1 porcelain-fused to metal). Cost me $300 each (less after insurance payments). It did take more trips to the clinic that usual, but the difference in cost was worth it. She has to do a certain number of required procedures to graduate and depends on people coming to the school clinic for patients.

You don't need any root canals do you?--she needs to do more of them in order to graduate in May.
Bob V.

ROY DICK
10-08-2009, 8:05 AM
You think crowns are expensive, try implants. I'm looking at $32,000 worth of dental work over the next 18 months. While I have dental insurance, it won't cover 98% of it. I was hoping to retire next March. That won't be happening.

Thud.

Roy

Matt Sollars
10-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Pay for a plane ticket and let Bob's daughter do it. Or drive up with somebody that needs a root canal and split the gas cost. :D

Matt

Jim King
10-08-2009, 7:07 PM
We are a $1000 ticket away from you all but here in the middle of the jungle we have a couple of the finest dentists you can imagine and they have offices that look like they are out of Star Trek . I was over 60 hours in the chair and 3 hours in the hospital surgery room. I have no idea how may root canals, crowns, bridges and a couple of implants plus whitening or what ever you call it all for less than $4000.

There was no physical pain either. South America is doing big business in medical and dental tourism due to the quality of wook they do and the huge price difference.

Steve Rozmiarek
10-09-2009, 1:20 AM
dental tourism

LOL! Quite a slogan Jim!

Dave Johnson29
10-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Check to see if there is a dental school nearby.

:D Thanks Bob, but I live in the country and my local town (20 minutes West) has a population of 2,600 and I think thy may have included a few cows and horses in that count.

I am 200 miles from Phoenix but will check down there as $700 buys a lot of gas.

Dave Johnson29
10-09-2009, 11:12 AM
isn't Nogales only 30 miles or so from Sierra Vista, AZ? Bet there are some decent ones around the Army base.

Maybe you could add which Nogales you are in? There are at least 4.

Hi Steve,

I did not realize there was more than one Nogales but it is the one South of Tucson and near to Sierra Vista. Would the dentists near the base be that much cheaper than my local gougers?

I am not actually in Nogales but that is the closest (300 miles south) Mexican town to where I live in AZ.

Dave Johnson29
10-09-2009, 11:16 AM
dental tourism

Thanks Jim,

By the time I add accommodation for a week I am probably coming close to the local price. If it was something they could do in a day or two then it may make more sense, but the crowns have to be measured then made then fitted. That can take a few days to a week.

Ken might benefit well from the trip though. At $32K I would not have thought there were enough teeth in one person's mouth.

Steve Rozmiarek
10-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Hi Steve,

I did not realize there was more than one Nogales but it is the one South of Tucson and near to Sierra Vista. Would the dentists near the base be that much cheaper than my local gougers?

I am not actually in Nogales but that is the closest (300 miles south) Mexican town to where I live in AZ.

I really don't know Dave. It's just an educated guess. Ft. Huachuca needs civilian support, and I'd guess that there would be several there to choose from at least. Seemed to me when I was stationed there, that Sierra Vista was a fair sized town that would offer that sort of thing. I guess Uncle Sam paid for my medical issues during my stay though, so I don't have any first hand knowlege to lend.

Dave Ogren
10-09-2009, 1:32 PM
Dave,

A similar problem happered to a friend of my daughter's. She had estimates from a local dentist and got a "firm" quote of over $3,000.00 several weeks and about 6 visits.

She got the X-rays, printed them out sent them to Peru, bought a ticket, flew to Peru for the a long weekend. She came back fixed, done at a total cost of just under $1,800.00 and only missed 1 day of work.

Good Luck,

Dave