PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking for help

Jason Baker1522
10-07-2009, 7:14 PM
Hello Everyone,

I just started working with a Gravograph L100 30watt laser. I am new to this equipment and would like to try and cut and burn a clock kinda like the one in the picture I have included(found it on another post on this forum). It doesn't have to be the same, I am just looking for something like it with all the detail this clock has.
If anyone would share a file they have it would be much appreciated.

Thank You,
Jason

AL Ursich
10-07-2009, 7:52 PM
I am thinking that 30 watts might take a few passes to vector cut that deep.... Thinking a 45 or 60 Watt would be needed to do that.

I only have 20 watts...

But this is the right place to ask...

Good Luck,

AL:eek:

Steve Clarkson
10-07-2009, 8:29 PM
Jason.

If you look closely at that clock, it shouldn't be that hard to design yourself. The only challenge would be that scroll work on the top and the back.

Check out: scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com the guys name is Steve Goode and he sends out a new free pattern everyday. He has a TON of free scroll saw patterns for clocks.

Darren Null
10-07-2009, 8:38 PM
...and you can always cut thinner bits and stack them up if extra thickness is needed.

Jason Baker1522
10-07-2009, 8:40 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I will take a look at the scrollsaw web site.

Jason

Larry Bratton
10-07-2009, 8:56 PM
Jason.

If you look closely at that clock, it shouldn't be that hard to design yourself. The only challenge would be that scroll work on the top and the back.

Check out: scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com the guys name is Steve Goode and he sends out a new free pattern everyday. He has a TON of free scroll saw patterns for clocks.
Yep, was going to say the same thing..looks like a Steve Goode design to me. That looks like mostly 1/4" except for the base and it may be glued up. It looks like a glue line on it to make the thickness. 30 watts should handle 1/4" OK.

Jason Baker1522
10-07-2009, 9:43 PM
I checked out that scroll pattern site. Some of that stuff is amazing!!! I found some nice patterns on there but nothing as detailed as the one I pictured. My laser actually tested 40 watts. I have no problem cutting 1/4".

Thanks for the help everyone. This site is an awesome tool, and it is all becuase of you posters. THANK YOU!

Jason