PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal

Cole Roberts
10-07-2009, 6:19 PM
So I posted a week ago about a miter saw and all of your suggestions were really helpful. I would like to ask if this would be considered a good deal.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/for/1410465635.html

This would be my first table saw and I don't have a lot of space so do you all think this is a good deal on a saw. I cannot tell what type of delta saw it is, it has a 52 inch biesemyer fence and it looks like some sturdy tables.I know the fence is extremely nice, the main question is, is it a worthy saw.

scott spencer
10-07-2009, 7:15 PM
That's a Delta contractor saw...not sure which one, but it looks to be in good shape and seems to be a reasonable deal with that fence. Nice that it includes the tables. It's older than the current 36-980 series and it's predecessor, the 36-680 series. It's possible that it's even an American made Delta.

It's interesting that you noted that you don't have a lot of space, but are looking at a contractor saw that takes up extra room with the motor hanging out the back, plus has a huge 52" rip capacity. That saw has a really big footprint!

Carroll Courtney
10-07-2009, 8:51 PM
Like others here,we all have been down that same road you are on now.IMO its all in the "eyes of the beholder".What a good deal to one may not be to another.What it amounts to is what you want to do with the saw and will the saw do what you want?If you are a person just passing through the woodworking galaxy,or if you are going to do this till your to old to see the lines.These are questions you need to ask yourself to see if the saw fits.But,what makes a saw is the fence,getting it square w/the miter slot,and a good blade.One of the things I ask myself is, can I sell this saw in afew yrs and at lease get what I paid for it,if I choose to up grade when the budget allows.There are alot of used saws out there to fit anybodys budget,don't get in a hurry.Shop around,learn what you can about each saw,then make a wise decision.The best part of all is the hunt.Good Luck and post pics of your saw----Carroll

Thomas Canfield
10-07-2009, 9:06 PM
That looks like a good deal with the Beismeyer fence for that price and you should be able to get that back fairly easy if you decide to upgrade later. That saw will take you a long way with a decent blade, and the tables can be used with the saw or for other purposes. I know that the Delta contractor saw I purchased about 10 years ago has served me well after changed to the Beismeyer fence and checked the alignment. Sure a Unisaw or hybrid would be nice, but more $$ and then you still need the outfeed table.

Dan Friedrichs
10-07-2009, 9:09 PM
I don't think it's a good deal. As Scott said, this is a big saw - the motor out the back takes up room, as do the 52" rails. You might be better suited with a hybrid saw and 32" rails.

I think you could either get a better saw for the money, or better value in a saw by spending a little more money.

Stephen Edwards
10-07-2009, 9:34 PM
If you have room for the saw and the tables it's not a bad deal, if the saw is in good working order. If you don't have the space to use the saw and the tables, it's not a good deal.

Lots of ifs here, but, if I had the room and if I needed a table saw and the tables and if that saw and both tables are in good shape, I'd offer him $300 bucks, take it or leave it. If I really wanted it I'd pull the $300 bucks out of my wallet so that he sees them as I make the offer.

I would also ask for any and all of the accessories, if any, that he might have around that are for that saw.

Good luck with your decision and your search.

Cole Roberts
10-08-2009, 12:56 AM
Thanks for all the replies, I will probably keep looking since all of you have said that it is quite a big footprint, but again you all have been quite helpful

Jeff Sudmeier
10-08-2009, 6:49 AM
Don't forget that you could put it on a mobile base. I have a unisaw with 52" rip on a semi mobile base in 1/2 of a 2 car garage...