PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying a craftsman table saw

Stephen Saar
10-07-2009, 4:49 PM
I found this saw online (http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/tls/1410582221.html) and I'm going to look at it tonight, but I was curious if anyone had any advice. Unfortunately I don't know alot about the saw yet, but I figured I'd see if anyone here might have some suggestions.

Thanks.

-Stephen

Jeff Sudmeier
10-07-2009, 5:35 PM
I would go and look at it. If the table around it is nice it may be a very good deal.

I would mainly want to go look at the other woodworking stuff that he had and see if I could get a deal on something else :)

scott spencer
10-07-2009, 5:56 PM
Not sure whether it's the 22114 with an updated fence, or the 22124 (http://www99.epinions.com/review/Craftsman_Professional_10_in_Table_Saw_22124/content_184778395268), but $400 with the Shop Fox Classic fence is pretty good if it's in good working condition. Make an offer, and/or get in on some of the wood he mentioned! He seems willing to deal.

Good luck!

Brad Wood
10-07-2009, 6:07 PM
I have essentially the same Craftsman saw. Same HP and stuff. Big dif between mine and this one, from what I've been able to tell, is mine is a half cabinet and didn't come with the biesmeyer fence and doesn't have the "professional" branding.

So, I really think they are pretty much the same saw, and I don't really have any complaints. I did change the pulley's so I could put the link belt on. It came with a flat belt with multiple little v grooves (maybe that's another dif between this and mine?).
Once I did the pully/belt upgrade, it is a much better saw.

Even with the cheap Craftsman fence I have, I can rip boards several feet long and have the ends only .004 difference in final size.

I've not cut any walnut or maple more than maybe 5/4 and it does OK. I suspect getting up into the 8/4 on the harder woods would start to put a strain on the system.

edit: Mine is the 35505. I don't even see the "professional" equivalent on their site anymore. Everything is 12" 3HP