PDA

View Full Version : Recommended tools for beginner

JIM HERNANDEZ
10-07-2009, 2:49 PM
I am brand new to woodturning. Can you recommend lathe tools for a beginner. Thank you so much for your advice.

Jim

Sean Hughto
10-07-2009, 2:53 PM
What is your budget, and what do you intend to turn?

Turning between centers - spindles (roughing gouge, skew, and spindle gouges (also parting tools), is a different set of tools than bowl turning (thicker gouges and scrapers).

Pens probably have their own set too, but I have no interest in pens.

Derek Gilmer
10-07-2009, 3:16 PM
I'm interested in getting started as well but in no rush. I would like to be able to turn a decent length of leg 30" or so and be able to do medium size bowls. What kind of budget should I start saving for and what tools would go into that budget?

I've already got some shop tools but nothing related to turning.

Kyle Iwamoto
10-07-2009, 4:07 PM
You HAVE to have a good bowl gouge to turn a bowl. Many on this site highly reccomend Thompson's line. I personally have a Sorby, don't have a Thompson YET. You really only need 1, but a big and small one is nice. Eventually, I'll get a big Thompson gouge to see what the hoopla is all about. :)

One thing you'll need to buy is a sharpening system, a dry grinder system or slow wet sharpener.

Both of those are highly discussed items.

If you just want to start cheap, I'd recomend a starter set, although many here dislike buying sets, since you get tools you never use. The Harbor Freight cheapo set is actually really good for the money you spend, IMO. 40 bucks shipped to your door for an 8 pc set. Cheaper than any good single tool. I still use most of them. Penn State Insdustries has a good line of cheaper tools, Benjamin's Best. If you want to buy cheaper single tools and try different things. Oh, the HF set does not have a bowl gouge, but you need to buy a good one anyways.

Just my $.02.

JIM HERNANDEZ
10-07-2009, 4:52 PM
My interests are just like Derek's. Furniture legs and small to medium bowls. I don't believe I am interested in pens. Thanks for your help !!

Jim

Derek Gilmer
10-07-2009, 4:57 PM
What about lathes, I looked around but to be honest found the choices over whelming. What kind of hp/size/brand would you recommend for entry level turning like we are discussing? The main to I've looked at are 1hp models from HF or Grizzly.

Sean Hughto
10-07-2009, 5:03 PM
Well I'm only a month or two a head of you. I got a lathe and took some classes in September. I've quickly realized that, just as in flat world woodworking, which I've done for many years, there are lots of ways to do every task and lot of varying preferences. For example, my teacher at a spindle turning class disliked the skew for certain tasks, but showed us what he could about using one; lo and behold, I prefer the skew! All that is to say that it's hard to know what others will end up preferring. You will need some sort of roughing gouge, a parting tool, a detail gouge, and a skew for spindle work. You will need at least one bowl gouge and a scraper to make simple bowls. Others tools will be helpful, but these are all pretty much minimums in my experience so far as they each perform unique tasks.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2592/3972778533_203c4f29bc_b.jpg

Aaron Wingert
10-07-2009, 5:06 PM
What about lathes, I looked around but to be honest found the choices over whelming. What kind of hp/size/brand would you recommend for entry level turning like we are discussing? The main to I've looked at are 1hp models from HF or Grizzly.

Derek you might want to start your own thread with this question so you don't get accused of hijacking Jim's tool thread. Starter/budget lathes are frequently discussed here and the search feature will yield you hours of reading on the topic I'm sure.

Jim, I'd take a hard look at PSI's Benjamins Best line of tools. They're budget priced but they're not junk. They'd serve you well for a long time. For spindles you'll need a roughing gouge, parting tool and a spindle gouge at least. A skew is nice once you get your skills built up. For bowls you need at least one bowl gouge (never use a spindle or roughing gouge on end grain). A couple of scrapers will come in really handy as well.

Don't overlook sharpening. There are a lot of options, many of which involve the use of a grinder and a friable wheel. Jigs like the Wolverine or the PSI version are very nice to have. Slow speed systems are awesome but aren't for those of us on a budget.

Charles McKinley
10-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Hi Jim,

I think the best starter set is the one from Harbor freight. It has decent steel. It is inexpensive but will get you started and you can learn to sharpen of it with out the fear of ruining an EXPENSIVE tool. I would take at least one class before you buy anything. I would buy a mini-lathe to start and spend the rest of the cost of a bigger lathe on learning on how to use it. They don't take up much space, easy resell if you don't like it and about half the investment of a larger lathe.

I like my Woodcraft slow speed grinder and really like my wolverine sharpening system but you can find plans on building a simular unit. It really helps getting the the same angle on your tools each time.

The vortex of turning can empty even the deepest of pockets. Start simple and expand as your skills and budget allow, if it is something your are going to stick with.

Jake Helmboldt
10-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Jim and Derek, as others have said, there are lots of discussions on these topics, and of course everyone has an opinion, so take them all for what they are worth (including mine:)).

A chuck is a nice option, but not needed. But they really do make things easier. The Barracuda 2 is a good buy, but right now you can get a Oneway Talon with extra jaws from Home Depot online for about the same price. Mine will be here tomorrow :D.

The PSI Ben's Best tools are good starter tools and if you plan to do both spindle and bowl work then you will probably use all of the tools in a set so that is certainly the more economical approach. They don't hold an edge as well as the high priced tools, but they cost a fraction. As mentioned a spindle roughing gouge, spindle gouge, skew and parting tool are needed for spindle work. A bowl gouge and scraper are your go-to tools for bowls, though a spindle gouge can be used on bowls and end grain, but you need to know when and how. DO NOT use a spindle roughing gouge on bowls.

So on that topic, spend some money on books/DVDs. I started with Richard Raffan's "Turning Wood" book and DVD since he covers all the basics, from tools to turning techniques on various projects, including spindles, bowls, and end grain work.

And don't forget a face shield. As for lathes, that is another matter altogether. Again, lots of threads here on that topic, so look around a little and then ask your specific questions. As others will/have noted, the cost of the lathe is often a fraction of what you will spend. But that said, you can start with a cheap lathe, the basic tools/accessories and not break the bank. That will come when you get sucked into the vortex.

Aaron Wingert
10-08-2009, 1:23 AM
Another wonderful $20 item for spindle turning is a stebcenter. PSI has a 1" version in MT2 taper that works great. You can use the spur drive that comes with most lathes but the stebcenters tend to be more forgiving and allow the wood to spin if you get a catch, as opposed to possibly damaging the end of the turning. I have two different sizes and use them constantly. I haven't used the spur center since my lathe was still brand new.

ROY DICK
10-08-2009, 7:58 AM
One of everything. :D

Roy

JerHall
10-08-2009, 11:01 AM
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=82041 has info on all the other stuff you might need beside a lathe!

Also here is my opinionated list of lathes from $ to $$$$

- Rikon Mini $280, on sale, free shipping this month I think, great value. Easy to sell if you upgrade. Optional extensions for long spindles. 12" throw
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005508/16400/RIKON-Mini-Lathe.aspx

- Delta 46-455 $500 New design, highly respected, 3/4hp. Very well built. Variable speed 46-460, 1 hp, $100 more. Extensions available. 12-1/2" throw If cost is an issue do your best to get this one.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2064107/26243/DELTA-5-Speed-Midi-Lathe--12-12--Model-46-455.aspx

- Nova 1624-44 $900 on sale, free shipping i think. Not variable speed, but a hefty, good lathe with lots of horses. 16" throw
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020011/22005/Nova-1624-44-Wood-Lathe.aspx

- Jet 1642-1 $1800 plus shipping, may be your last lathe. Heavy, a horse. Sliding headstock makes this a winner. 16" throw
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005433/19082/Jet-16-x-42-Wood-Lathe-Pro--Model-JWL-1642EVS--1-12-HP.aspx

- Powermatic 3520B $2800 - 3300. Shop around Overkill, but it is sweet! And a great value in a top of the line lathe. 20" throw
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020313/21229/Powermatic-Lathe--Model-3520B.aspx

Oneway, Robust, Stubby all have trophy lathes and price to match. BTW, I am not especially recommending Woodcraft as a source, altho they typically stand behind their products well. But they are a good one-stop store to see all these lathes. Price check other sources, including sales tax and shipping. In general get advice from an AAW chapter, not a salesperson.

Most important go to your local AAW chapter, seek out one of their mentors, and do some turning! You will be welcomed. Your opinion will change rapidly with this experience. Ask to see lathes in the list above, and discuss them. Chapter list is at:
http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/LocalChapters.asp

Joseph Crivelli
10-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Jim & Derek,

I only got my JET JWL-1220VS at the beginning of September.

http://www.nealaddy.org/pub/Lathe_List.html
has a very comprehensive chart of available lathes.

Since I research things to death, it took me 6 months to decide which machine to get.

I also bought the following accessories:

Wood River 1" x 8 TPI Self-Centering 4-Jaw Chuck (Woodcraft)
PSI Drive Center Set for #2MT Lathes
PSI 1/2" Drill Chuck #2MT8
PSI Benjamin's Best HSS Lathe Chisel Set

(I also have a 5-piece set of Craftsman Chisels (Carbon Steel) which I got at a Sears clearence sale years ago.)

The Jet is fantastic! If I get more room, I'll get the extension.

The Wood River chuck is well made and easy to use.

I really like the BB chisels. I've used them on pine, poplar, maple, and ash, so far. The Craftsman chisels are smaller, so they compliment the BB set.

I got Norm Abrams' Lathe 101 DVD. It's an excellent starter video.

I'm going to get Richard Raffan's Turning, Bowls, Boxes, and Projects books and DVDs in a few weeks.

Good luck!

Kyle Iwamoto
10-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Well, I can say that our local Woodcraft has been a tremendous help. You can check out a lot of lathes, and touchy feely the tools. Our WC carries a lot of DVD's, in addition to the above, I'd also reccomend Alan Lacer's Skew and son of skew DVD's, if you plan to do a lot of spindle work. Learning the skew is frightening for most, and he makes it easier to learn. I'm still learning, but I don't do that much spindles.

Chucks, look into the Nova line, they not cheap, but all the jaws interchange, so you can get just a body to get a bigger chuck, use the old jaws. I've abused mine, (not intentionally) and it still works fine.

Donald Cone
03-16-2013, 6:30 PM
i would have bought the harbor freight lathe, but someone offered me a craftsman for 25 bucks. i went to look at it, and tested that it ran well in all 5 speeds, and that there wasn't any loud noises etc. I bought a live center from Grizzly for the tail stock, and a 6" chuck, and 4" faceplate. works well, actually. I bought the cheap harbor turning tools, and they seem to dull quickly. i will probably get a sharpening solution soon

willis martin
03-17-2013, 4:44 PM
I have turned for several years and reccomend the easy wood tools for beginners and veterans alike .Very forgiving and with the carbon inserts long lasting with no sharpening.Some purists will disagree but you want results right? Later you can progress to more conventional tools,ie bowl gouges spindle gouges parting tools and roughing gouges .Just my 2 cents ,Willis

John Keeton
03-17-2013, 5:32 PM
Since this thread is four years old, it is likely the OP is no longer in need of suggestions. But, perhaps the comments may help others....