PDA

View Full Version : Masking materials

Chip Peterson
10-07-2009, 1:24 PM
Would anyone have a reccomendation and a source for paint masking materials for wood that are appropriate for CNC cutting/carving? Thanks in advance.

Gary Hair
10-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Pete,
I would guess that there are lots of other materials, but I had pretty good luck with a laser tape that I bought fron Innotec. The wood must be pretty smooth or it won't stick well. You need to play with the speed/feed a bit to get a clean cut but once you get the settings right it works great!

The only drawback is it isn't cheap - I have a laser so I had some around and decided to try it out.

www.innotape.com (http://www.innotape.com) - JR248 Paint/Etch Mask

Gary

Chip Peterson
10-08-2009, 2:08 PM
Thanks Gary. I also have a laser and thought about that. However, because of the price, I thought I'd check around. I know there are vinyl types used by sign guys, but not sure which ones get the thumbs up.

Hopeing to hear other ideas too! :)

Scott Shepherd
10-09-2009, 12:40 PM
We use paint mask for painting items. It's made by Oracal and it's made for paint masking. Works very well and it's quite sticky. Stickier than transfer tape and not paper based.

Don't know how it would work if you cut through it with the router, but you asked what was a good mask, and they have 3 different masking materials that all work very well.

Oracal 810 is what we're currently using for things that need painting.