PDA

View Full Version : I think I cooked my Fein Turbo!

Tony Sade
09-21-2004, 8:20 AM
After removing a full dust bag from my 3 yr. old Turbo II, I reinstalled the (Sears Cleanstream) HEPA filter. I was out of bags and thought I'd be ok to run it until I could pick up some more. After only 10-15 minutes of use, the sound from the vac increased dramatically (louder, higher pitched, a bit of a whine) and the unit seemed to be running hotter than usual. I pulled off the top and found the filter sitting on the bottom in the accumulated dust. (Another one of my all-too-frequent "operator errors".

I called a Fein authorized repair place, and was given the standard "no user-serviceable parts" lecture, and told a new motor was probably required to the tune of $135-shipping not included. (A new Turbo II from Amazon is only $220 right now.) After convincing the tech I wasn't likely to fry myself, he mentioned the only option was to tear it down and blow out all the dust, and to remove the brushes and blow those out as well. I did all that out in my driveway, although I couldn't figure out how to remove the brushes, which appear to be pressed in. Put it all back together and no change. Still sucks as well as ever, but the increased sound and heat have me worried that the thing is about to blow.

Anyone have any experience repairing one of these, or suggestions for other things I could try? Would removing and blowing out the brushes and their receptacles likely have made a difference? Is the short running time without the filter (stongly discouraged in the manual) even likely the cause, or merely coincidence? A new motor doesn't seem to make sense at the quoted price. The repair tech told me there was less than a 50-50 chance he could repair it given the symptoms, and I'd be out the $35 repair fee plus shipping.

Give me some hope here, folks! :o Thanks,

Wayne Bracy
09-21-2004, 8:32 AM
Hello Tony,

Have the same problem with my stainless steel Shop Vac. I bought it and about a month after using it the power switch failed. I called Shop Vac and was given the same type of answer. "They do not supply repair parts for the unit" and gave me the name of the local service place. So I called them and was told to bring in the power unit and they would either fix it or return it to Shop Vac for replacement and I should get it back in 3 to 4 weeks.

I calle shop Vac and told them that 4 weeks would not work for me. She understood my problem but told me that was company policy. So I told her that I would just go ahead and put a toggle switch in the darn thing and at least have a vacuum that worked.

The very next morning a new power unit showed up at the door with no paperwork inside. I used this unit for about four months and the brushes started going out. Again I went to the service place and was told they could not supply me with a set of brushes so I was a bit mad and went home took out the old unit, installed a toggle switch and the vacuum is working.

I just wish that the companies would at least sell spare parts for these darn things. I was going to buy the same unit you purchased, but seeing their policy is the same guess I will hold off.

Wayne

Chris Padilla
09-21-2004, 11:52 AM
Sigh, no servicable parts! With all the DIY stuff we have around us lately, you would think manufacturers would give us enough rope to hang ourselves sometimes! Perhaps on electrical stuff, they need to be careful but get this:

One of our baby strollers has a broken piece in the handle that keeps it together as it is designed to fold in half for use on airplanes. Anyway, other than the fact that the handle is all wobbly because it is in two piece surround by thin/flexible plastic, the stroller works just fine. I call the manufacturer and they refuse to send a new part...they want me to send them the stroller so they can replace it! Good grief...what idiots. It would take me five minutes to replace the part but no, I gotta pay to ship, then wait 4 weeks, and then pay to have it shipped back plus labor and the part. Cripes....

Scott Coffelt
09-21-2004, 12:36 PM
It's becoming more common, it does two things 1) Protects their rear (I wanted to use the real word, but can't) against lawyers 2) Increases business for their service centers.

I bought my son a power wheels 4 wheeler, he has basically rode it about 30 times and the gears busted. Service place says nothing to do with the electrical or mechanics can be done DIY, must be handled through service center. When it breaks completely I plan to break open and find my own gears to fit.

Chris Padilla
09-21-2004, 12:46 PM
I think I will make my own part to fix the stroller but it has remained in this state for 6 months now. They'll get no such dough out of me and I think, as a consumer in a capitalistic society, I will be a tad more careful with future purchases and inquire before purchase of their repair service/policy. The customer has spoken! :D

Wayne Bracy
09-23-2004, 5:58 PM
Just a little follow up. The Shop Vac failed again, this time it is the brushes, can't buy them. Wrote them an email explaining that it is really a simple thing to do, if they can't sell me the brushes then atleast tell me the part number and I can get a set and fix the vacuum.

Can't do that, it's against policy. I understand protecting ones behind, but this it too much, Right.................Wrong

Guess what this morning a brand new power head showed up at the door, shipped Fed-x and no charge to me.

I can't say anything bad about ShopVac service group!