PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Gary Looft
10-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Hello everybody,

I am new to the forum. Lots of great stuff in here. I am absolutely new to the signage world. Trying to get a feel for what it takes to get going. My background is in graphic design, mostly for television. I have a problem with the lack of permanence of that. It may be shown once on TV and then it's gone forever. That's why I am looking into the world of sign making.

Being somewhat of a geek, the things that excite me about this business are CNC routing and laser engraving. There seems to be a lot of potential to make some exciting artistic stuff beyond the letters and nameplates. Not that I would turn down any job, of course.

My next step is to start working in a sign shop. I am currently unemployed so I am looking right now for a sign company in NJ that I can get my feet wet with. I'm not splurging for the equipment before I know how to make money with it.:D

Can anyone recommend what books and/or courses that have read/taken?

Regards,
Gary

Joe Pelonio
10-07-2009, 9:41 PM
Look for anything by Butch "Superfrog" Anton.

You can learn a lot just from his website. i never took a class but have been doing signs for 17 years, and have called or e-mailed him for advice a few times.

http://www.superfrog.com/