PDA

View Full Version : Any advice on the Delta 46-460

JIM HERNANDEZ
10-07-2009, 9:43 AM
Hello,
Very new to woodturning and I'm considering the Delta 46-460. I would love to know the opinions of any owners and if they would buy it again. Or is there another lathe that I should be considering. Only have room for a benchtop model.
Thank you so much for your advice.

Jim

Rick Hutcheson
10-07-2009, 9:50 AM
I have over 200 hours running this lathe and it has done a great job. Turned everything from small boxes to large bowls. For a midi lathe it has plenty of power with the 1HP motor. I have turned 11" X 5" bowls on it without a problem.

Brian Effinger
10-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Rick,
Have you noticed the headstock getting hot after running the lathe for a while? I was at a workshop a week ago, and one of the guys there had one, and the outboard side of the headstock got very hot. The plastic cover and spindle side were warm, but nowhere near as hot as the outboard side. I'm thinking of buying one, but this is a concern for me.
Thanks.

Brian

Rick Hutcheson
10-07-2009, 11:10 AM
I have not had that problem. I think there were some that had that problem but it was an easy fix to correct it. Something about a part too tight or something. If you can have the owner contact me I can set them up with someone that can expalin how to fix it.
I have run peices that would have been big for my Jet 1642 nad not had any problems with heat.

Chuck Jones
10-07-2009, 9:14 PM
Delta donated a 46-460 to our newly formed woodturning club, which just happens to be in the same area as Delta (Jackson TN). We are very pleased with it. Haven't been aware of any over heating problems.

Bill Bulloch
10-07-2009, 10:25 PM
I order one on Oct 1st thru Lowes (took advantage of their 10% sale). Should be here first of next week. I have a Jet 1014 and Jet 1236, if this Delta 46-460 turns out to be as good I the testimonials I have been reading, then they may be up for sale.

Rick Flink
10-08-2009, 9:14 PM
My question to you is why haven't you got the 46-460 ordered yet? :D

I have had mine now for about 5 months and even though I don't have a lot time on it yet, it runs rings around anything else I've turned on, in same category. I do have that heating problem though that has been talked about, and would love to know what can be done to stop that from happening.

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

Steve Mawson
10-09-2009, 10:22 AM
I have one that I am exceptionally pleased with. Several bowls, pens, couple of scoops, mallet and some handles in the last few weeks. Probably had mine for about 6 weeks now. Credit card bill just came due. I talked with one of the Delta engineers at length about the head stock heating although mine only did that one time when I first started it up. I believe the heating is the bearings are a little tight in the head stock. I did not have to do anything to correct the problem as it has never heated up again.

I did a review of this lathe a few weeks ago and you should be able to find it with a search. Any specific questions, send me a message and I will do my best to answer. I would buy this lathe again in a heartbeat, really like it.

JIM HERNANDEZ
10-09-2009, 4:50 PM
Thanks everyone for the insight. I ordered my 46-460 today and have officially entered into " The Vortex " .

Jim