PDA

View Full Version : Can the worksharp be used on turning tools ?

JIM HERNANDEZ
10-07-2009, 9:39 AM
Hello,
I'm very new to woodturning ( taking my first class this week ). I have a worksharp which I like for my planes and chisels and was wondering if anyone has used it for turning tools or should I be thinking of another method ? Thank you so much for your advice.

Jim

David Christopher
10-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Jim, I think it will work for everything except for bowl gouges...not sure if they have a jig for that but you need a jig to get a sharp edge on bowl gouges

Ron McKinley
10-07-2009, 6:58 PM
As Dave says you really need a jig with a Work Sharp since you're freehanding a gouge of any type and you need a sharp eye and a steady hand to do that.........Ron

Mark Burge
10-07-2009, 10:51 PM
Jim, I have been using the Worksharp 3000 since I started turning (about 2 years now). Using the see-through wheels helps quite a bit when freehanding a curved gouge. I have been freehanding my bowl gouge, but it is not an expensive one. I don't know of any commercial jigs available to get the "right" grind, but the freehand method works, especially because you can see what you are doing. I can't really compare the WS to a grinder because I have not used anything else. Hope this helps.

Oh, it also helps if you put something on the bevel of the blade to help you see where you are cutting in the beginning. I use a black marker and make sure your lighting is adequate.