PDA

View Full Version : Laguna LT16 Bandsaw opinion

Frank Martin
10-07-2009, 2:38 AM
I have a line on an around 2000 vintage saw with little hobby use. Looks very clean. The saw was made by Meber I believe and has a 2.5 hp euro motor. Comes with mobility kit and a decent non-carbide blade.

I think I can get the saw for around $1k and wondering if this is a good deal. I currently do not have a band saw. I do not have an immediate need for a band saw but would like to get this if it is indeed a good deal.

I would appreciate your inputs, in particular those who are familiar with this older model.

Rick Fisher
10-07-2009, 4:26 AM
That is a good saw..

That saw is probably close to $2000 new.. if its in mint shape, that is a good deal.

Nice thing about that deal is you can sell it for close to what you paid if you decide on bigger..

If you need/want a bandsaw, that is a great choice.

Jeff Sudmeier
10-07-2009, 6:15 AM
I had the pleasure of having a laguna resaw king for a while, it was a very nice saw. I have also seen the LT16 in action. Their customer support is amazing as well. (I was the second owner and they sent me out parts at no charge).

If I had the $1k for that saw and it was really in mint condition I would be very tempted.

NICK BARBOZA
10-07-2009, 8:37 AM
I have the same saw of similar vintage. I bought it this year for $1500 with two starret carbide blades and mobility kit. For me it was an upgrade from a Ridgid 14" BS, so the cost was easily justified with my growth. I think its a wonderful saw at a great price but possibly more saw than you might need.

Dust collection in my saw leaves a little to be deisred, which I belive has been modified in the newer models.

Good luck,
NWB

Judy Kingery
10-07-2009, 8:41 AM
Frank, I think it's a great deal if in mint condition; like Nick, we bought one used in excellent condition about the same time frame and it's been a champ of a work horse. I use it fairly often (lathe prep on very large blanks/moudling trims etc). I think we paid $1,200 for ours so your price is right if it's in great condition.

Best to you,

Jude

Frank Martin
10-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks again to everyone for the input. Initially I was considering a little bigger/heavier saw than this one, but looks like this is a decent saw at a decent price which I can get most of my money out if I decide to upgrade at a later time.