PDA

View Full Version : How to loose business - a step by step guide

John Coloccia
10-06-2009, 8:49 PM
*******rant coming*******

So my wife's laptop has a problem with the ribbon cable that goes to the LCD screen. I know this because I took it apart and it's the cable. I really didn't want to go through the trouble of replacing it myself, so I called a local guy. I always try to keep local guys in business if I can.

Now, I've dealt with this guy before. I thought he was kind of difficult the first time but I thought I'd give him another chance.

I called him last week. He never returned my call. Strike 2

I call him today:

me: I have a DV9000 laptop. The ribbon cable to the LCD is broken. I'm pretty sure it's the ribbon anyway because I was able to tape it into a position that kinda' sorta works.

him: Uh huh

m: Is this the kind of thing you can fix.

h: I'm not a retail store, sir.

m: Right, I understa....

h: So I don't just have parts stocked up here, and if I did I wouldn't just sell them

m: Right, i know. Can you fix it?

h: Look, you have to bring it in, and then *I'LL* look at it and *I'LL* diagnose the problem myself. Once I diagnose the problem, I can make a recomendation and *THEN* I'll get the parts, they'll come in and THEN I'll replace the damaged parts.

m: Uh yah... (count to 3, John) Great! So when can I bring it in?

h: Uhm... So like what kind of time frame were you expecting to have this done in?? (with a shocked and amazed sort of tone, like I'm asking him to do me a favor)

m (getting a little upset): My time frame is I expect to bring it in this week and I expect you to work diligently and fix it, and then I expect to get it back next week.

h: Well I'm always out of the shop. Tomorrow might be good. You should call and see if I'm in. Sometimes I'm hard to catch in the shop.

m: Oh yah. Right. I'll see if I can catch you.
*CLICK*

A more reasonable conversation would have been:

me: I have a DV9000 laptop. The ribbon cable to the LCD is broken. I'm pretty sure it's the ribbon anyway because I was able to tape it into a position that kinda' sorta works.

him: Hmmm, sounds like it's the cable, but I'd like you to bring it in so I can check it out. If it's really the cable, I can certainly order another one and replace it for you, or I can tell you what I find if the problem is somewhere else.

m: Great, what time could I drop it off?

h: Well, i'm usually out on calls. How about we setup a time tommorow or thursday.

m: Sounds good. How's 2:00pm sound?

h: That's fine. I'll call you a little before to make sure we're still on, or if I have to cancel because of an emergency call.

m: Sounds great. See you tommorow.

Now I have to say, this isn't an isolated incident. Only a handful of places give me any sort of service nowadays. Two of them are Woodcraft (a chain of all things...but locally owned, I guess) and my local lumberyard. The guys I get my Oxy/Acetylene bottles from are great too, even though I'm probably the smallest customer they've ever had (I go through one or two bottles a year). My power equipment guy rocks (Pruess in Bolton,CT). Everyone else more or less sucks and leaves me feeling like I'd rather throw my cash in the fireplace than be made to beg for someone to take my cash.

I don't want anyone to lick my shoes. I'd just like a little politeness and courtesy. At least treat me as well as I treat you, you dig?

***********rant over************

glenn bradley
10-06-2009, 9:29 PM
Sounds like a couple of the socially inept guys I work with. They know a decent amount about a limited range of technologies and lose track of reality. ;-) What's even funnier is they are totally clueless as to how clueless they are.

Dennis McGarry
10-06-2009, 9:45 PM
Ok first question Are you 99.9 % positive its the cable and not the holder on the mainboard?

If Yes then order this... http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-DV9000-Series-17-LCD-Video-Cable-FOXDD0AT9LC0011A_W0QQitemZ370266930070QQcmdZViewIt emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5635a0fb96

and either replace it yourself, or if you want send it to me and i will be more then happy to take care of it for you. I hate, let me say that again I HATE people like that! I have been in this business for over 15 years and its the guys like him that make it ten times as hard for the independent guys like me to get anywhere!

Darius Ferlas
10-06-2009, 9:53 PM
If the laptop is out of warranty and you're prepared to pay for the fix then just call HP. Their repair service is excellent. I know because out of 11 HP laptops I bought a 3 years ago only one did not fail for one reason or another.

John Coloccia
10-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Dennis, I appreciate the help. It's nice that there are still folks out there that know how to do business. I've already ordered the cable. I'm sure it's the cable because I isolated it from the connectors by strain relieving and wiggling. It had me fooled for a while, but it's definitely the cable.

I really just wanted to vent, and my wife's out for the night :D Thing is, I'm more than capable of easily replacing the stupid thing myself. I just didn't want to bother, and I thought I'd throw a local guy some business, given the rough economy and all. I tried two other guys after him, and both numbers had been disconnected. :( It's really a shame to see so many locals going under.

Darius: I've had absolutely nothing but trouble from this particular HP. I wish it would just die so I could swap it out for something else. It's like my old Bronco II I had in college. High miles, always ran like crap, but it ran like crap for almost 200,000 miles. I couldn't get rid of the stupid thing. :)

Rob Young
10-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Not knowing exactly what the cable looks like but assuming it is a "flat flex cable" you can order those in pre-made lengths from DigiKey (www.digikey.com (http://www.digikey.com)).

The upside is you may be able to get your cable. The down side is Digikey has a minimum order requirement, orders less than $25 get a $5 surcharge. And there is the shipping cost.

If you can post or PM me a picture of the cable and some measurements of width and length (metric if possible) I'll try to find the cable or a suitable alternative. If we find one, then I'll leave it up to you to order and install... :)

EDIT *** I see from another post I didn't read that you have already ordered a cable. Hope it works! I hate fixing laptops, they are such a pain in the butt.

Dennis McGarry
10-07-2009, 10:21 AM
EDIT *** I see from another post I didn't read that you have already ordered a cable. Hope it works! I hate fixing laptops, they are such a pain in the butt.

That is why whenever I would get a laptop in to fix, if it was fixable, I would NEVER charge more then 25.00 bucks in labor. Part cost only. Most people that I came in with a laptop knew ahead of time that they are mostly disposable or when sent off expensive to repair. Its not that they themselves are a pain to ifx, its the disassembly that sucks. I would always do it cheap. They would then come back for anything they ever needed again!

Rob Young
10-07-2009, 2:12 PM
That is why whenever I would get a laptop in to fix, if it was fixable, I would NEVER charge more then 25.00 bucks in labor. Part cost only. Most people that I came in with a laptop knew ahead of time that they are mostly disposable or when sent off expensive to repair. Its not that they themselves are a pain to ifx, its the disassembly that sucks. I would always do it cheap. They would then come back for anything they ever needed again!

Yep, there is always that one hidden screw or catch some were to get the dang thing open!