PDA

View Full Version : Bought a BIG tool for the shop today:-)

Mike Mastin
09-20-2004, 11:05 PM
Well I have a new toy for the shop! It is not exactly new(1998 model), but it is a bigun and in really great shape.
I purchased an Italian made SAC 16" jointer with Tersa head today. It is big (1500 lbs :eek: ). I need to get it on a trailer to get it to our location. I knew that there was a reason that I got a big forklift :D The jointer came from a foreclosure auction.
I hope to get it to its new home tomorrow, but it may not be until later this week. Photos to follow.............

Manny Hernandez
09-20-2004, 11:52 PM
Congratulations! You got a nice piece of machinery there. When I was shopping I narrowed it down to the SAC and SCMI 16 inchers. I chose the SCMI because the dealer is local. Had HTC make a mobile base for it, so even though it's 1650 lbs I can easily move it if I have to.

Mike Mastin
09-21-2004, 7:29 AM
I got such a sweet deal on this jointer that I simply could not pass on it. If I were buying new, it would have been the SCMI for the same reasons that you have stated. A good local dealer is always great to have. Quality wise I see little differences between the SCMI and SAC and a couple other of the Italian jointers that I have investigated. Getting it to the shop will be the next serious undertaking :confused:.

Alan Turner
09-21-2004, 7:32 AM
MIke. Nice score. Will you be putting the Byrd head on it?
Alan

Tyler Howell
09-21-2004, 7:36 AM
If I can't see it it doesn't exist! (young daughters logic and mine with gloats) cough up some Pix!:D

Paul B. Cresti
09-21-2004, 8:42 AM
Mike,
great find! A word of caution though. One thing I noticed/felt with my 16" jointer is that once that cutter head grabs that wide board.. it is more like an anaerobic exercise! you need some serious force to keep it moving. Second warning, do not be fooled by the tersa knives they are EXTREMELY sharp! I sliced the top of my finger when I just glanced the knife while cleaning the cosmoline off of the cutter head.

Mike Mastin
09-21-2004, 8:49 AM
I have to determine how I will get this monster loaded and moved first though! I have gone over about ever scenario I can think of and all are scary. I am almost at the point of hiring a flat bed service to do the pickup and delivery for me to get this thing moved safely and without chance of damage due to less than proper handling.
I hope that it will be in the shop before the end of the week though! Even if I don't get the a new outlet wired for it, just sitting there will make me feel better right now.

Mike Mastin
09-21-2004, 8:59 AM
Alan,

The diameter of the Tersa head(4 3/4") will help with the tearout problems on our figured woods. For now I will have to use it as is(I know life sucks if you have to settle for a Tersa head), but there will come a day when a Byrd will reside inside of this beast :-) Right now I need to pay for it and get it in the shop and running ;).

Jim Becker
09-21-2004, 9:02 AM
Oh, man...another excuse to visit Curly Woods the next time I get to that place called Texas. Sheesh! :D (Congratulations on what appears to be an outstanding acquisition!)

Alan Turner
09-21-2004, 9:48 AM
MMIke,
My equip. dealer says never use a forklift on a jointer by placing the forks under the tables, but rather only under the base. I would have thought this obvious, but he syas that this is done all the time.
As to the force to feed, the Byrd head will greatly reduce this.

John Renzetti
09-21-2004, 9:59 AM
hi Mike, Sounds like a great find. Just happen to have my Byrd Tool catalog in front of me. Cost for a Shellix spiral for the SAC 430 is $1950.
Start saving those pennies.
take care,
John

Mike Mastin
09-21-2004, 9:59 AM
I knew not to use the tables to lift, but I am not sure that there is enough space under the base for the fork blades to clear. There must be though as it has to be lifted :-)

I really wanted to build a heavy pallet to move it, but that might not be possible. It is relatively short haul once its loaded, but its getting to that point that concerns me most right now.

Chris Padilla
09-21-2004, 10:31 AM
When I opened the top flaps of the box my FS41 J/P (16" also) was in, they had a piece of paper in there showing exactly how/where to lift the whole thing with a strap and hooks. One picture even showed a hammer knocking out some hole so that a hook could be placed there! If I recall correctly, the holes were located on the body of the J/P on opposite corners.

If I find a need to start jointing very wide boards, I think a power feeder will be under serious investigation.

One nice thing about a wide jointer (among others) is the ability to take a less than 16" wide board and run it at an angle across the cutterhead. This effectively cuts in shear mode.

Nice find, Mike, nice find!

Martin Lutz
09-21-2004, 10:47 AM
Mike, Congrats. I cant wait till I am back in the great state of Texas to visit your shop again and trade cash for wood.