PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt DW618PK vs. Bosch 1617EVSPK

Joe Leigh
10-06-2009, 12:12 PM
I've narrowed down a search for my next router to theses two models. Does anyonew have firsthand experience with these two? The differences? which do you prefer?
Thanks

Michael Sobik
10-06-2009, 2:11 PM
I actually have purchased two DW618 and both have died in my router table. Silly me for buying another one, but I had all my tooling setup for that particular router. To their credit Dewalt fixed the first broken one, which broke again in the same manner a week later. I picked up a replacement motor on Amazon which lasted about a year and just broke the other day. I replaced that with the 1617 which I haven't used a whole lot yet, but seems to be working great.

scott spencer
10-06-2009, 3:31 PM
I've had a 1617 that was very good....the hardwood handles are a nice touch. Never used the DW.

I realize this is outside of your current choices, but I really prefer the Milwaukee 5615 and 5616 to the Bosch. It's built like a tank, accepts standard PC type bushings, offers the Body Grip feature, and has an excellent plunge base.

Good luck!

Derek Gilmer
10-06-2009, 3:40 PM
I was down to choosing the Bosch or the Ridgid 2 1/4 hp. After trying the Bosch I went with the Ridgid. The main things I didn't like on the Bosch were lack of built in above table adjust-ability with the included base and the fine adjustment know won't move the entire range of movement. It has 3 preset stops that you have to adjust between.

Not exactly a 1 to 1 for the Bosch and Dewalt, but I can share the negatives of the bosch that I saw.

glenn bradley
10-06-2009, 4:02 PM
Like the other responders, if you have narrowed it to those two I would ask why. The DW618 has a low center of gravity and a good feel. However, the turret is crummy and the collet is stamped from very thin gauge metal. I had a 618 for an hour, returned it and got the Milwaukee. The Bosch is liked by many but has the limitations mentioned. Both your choices are good routers but so close in price to the Milwaukee, you owe yourself a look at one.

Joe Leigh
10-06-2009, 4:43 PM
Thanks for the responses. I should have mentioned that this router will be dedicated to use with a dovetail jig and mortise and tenon jig. I already have a dedicated PC 7518 in my router table.
I like these two models because they seem to have a lower center of gravity which I think would make them easier to handle in jigs of this type.
The Milwaukee 5616 looks to be another option though I haven't tried one.

glenn bradley
10-06-2009, 4:56 PM
Thanks for the responses. I should have mentioned that this router will be dedicated to use with a dovetail jig and mortise and tenon jig. I already have a dedicated PC 7518 in my router table.
I like these two models because they seem to have a lower center of gravity which I think would make them easier to handle in jigs of this type.
The Milwaukee 5616 looks to be another option though I haven't tried one.

Sorry, my bad. Somehow I got the idea you were after a table router. I use the 5615 for jig work as it is light, even running and the body grip feels good to me. I also prefer a barrel-grip jigsaw where others may not so that is subjective.

Another reason I am a little high on the Milwaukee is that the 5615 and 5616 can swap between bases so I have a couple plunge bases and a couple of fixed bases set up for different things and I can just swap motors based on my needs. This value doesn't really tip the scales in a one router scenario but with two, it suddenly starts to make sense. For jigs, it is really about how the router feels to you so I would try to get my hands on any one that I was considering ;-)

Cary Falk
10-06-2009, 5:00 PM
I have the Dewalt 618 3 base kit. I like it much better than the Porter Cable it replaced. I have not touched the Bosch.

John Coloccia
10-06-2009, 5:01 PM
I happen to like my Bosch a lot. I thought it did have above the table adjustment although I don't use mine in a table. Bosch sells a dust collection kit for it which works fantastically well. My Bosch also came with a holder for those turn lock collar thingies. I never really use that so I hope I'm explaining it right. Finally the plung base has a flat on one side. This makes getti g consitent cuts with a fence much easier.

I also just recently purchased their laminate trim router and am thrilled with that too. Mine does freehand inlays and channels (using the included fence).

I have a dewalt corded drill that I really like a lot. I also kind of like their large compressor and compound miter saw. I haven't really bonded with anything else they make and I've had a couple of bad experiences that have soured me.

Louis Brandt
10-06-2009, 5:23 PM
Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but my Bosch 1617EVSPK does have the above table height adjustment.
Louis

pat warner
10-06-2009, 5:57 PM
1617 plunger (1166) is the better plunger, lighter, better motor lock, bigger casting, better plunge glide.
Both fixed bases have their compromises, neither quick to change or find depth target. 618 with the lower center of mass, >2 pounds heavier too.
A lot more to the story but the 1617 is the better value.
Motors are good on both of these tools.
Expect a short life from DW's quick disconnect, Bosch wire sets last forever.

Stephen Edwards
10-06-2009, 6:17 PM
Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but my Bosch 1617EVSPK does have the above table height adjustment.
Louis

Mine does, too. However, unless I'm missing something, you still have to go under the table to unlock and lock the motor from the base to raise and lower the router.

That and the lack of full range of the fine adjustment are the the two draw backs for me as a table router. Those two things a wee bit inconvenient but not a deal breaker for me.

For a non table router I like a lot. The wooden grips on the fixed base have a nice feel.

I have two of these Bosch routers. One issue that I had with the turret on the plunge base on both of the routers: I was having trouble getting the turret to lie perfectly flat against the base, regardless of what position it was in. I took them apart. There's a little spring in there that pushes a ball up into a recess. I cut a coil or two off of that spring. Simple fix. Works perfectly now. It's a good plunge base, too.

Sorry, no experience with the Dewalt.

Billy Trinh
10-06-2009, 6:48 PM
I don't have reference for the bosch but I have the dewalt 618 3 base one and i like it a lot. The cord is detachable at the base so it's handy for unplugging power without having to go pull the plug from the outlet. There are some reviews at http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/dewalt618.htm and http://www.patwarner.com/dw618pk.html that can give some more detail. My router experience: beginner.

Ben Rivel
02-17-2016, 2:20 PM
Bumping an old one here, but its still a relevant topic and I was interested to hear what feelings might have changed (if any) between these two routers in the last 6 years. I know early on the DeWalt had a lot of complaints, did all those get worked out? Anyone out there own both now and care to comment?

Cary Falk
02-17-2016, 2:27 PM
Last I checked the DeWalt still has the issue with the VS going out. Mine is still running strong. But when it goes I will put the 1 3/4 hp single speed DW616 motor in it. I love the plunge base.

Michael Sobik
02-17-2016, 4:18 PM
My 1617 is still going strong. I haven't purchased another DeWalt router.

Jack Lemley
02-17-2016, 10:21 PM
+1 Dewalt no contest.

Jack

Bill Stephenson
02-18-2016, 12:52 AM
Owned a Dewalt 618 and thought I would try the Bosch 1617. Did not like the smooth wood handles & the high center of gravity. Returned the Bosch & ordered another Dewalt 618. Balance & handling difference were my issues.

Joel Daros
02-18-2016, 6:03 AM
+1 for Bosch.
Dewalt motor is a piece of troubles. It has a common problem in magnetic ring that breaks constantly and can damage the motor armature (the most expensive part of motor). I didn't have good experience with DW618.

Stew Hagerty
02-18-2016, 3:18 PM
OK, my 2 cents...
For small bits like dovetails & spirals, as well as small edge shaping bits, I love my DWP611PK. If you can get by with 1/4" bits, this is an amazing little router!
Like you, I have a dedicated PC7518 in my table. Then I have my trusty old 2 1/4hp Craftsman Professional Series, with fixed, plunge, and pistol grip bases. But I had the opportunity to try out the PC version of the DPW611 and fell in love. It's light, but yet feels solid. I use it far more than my Craftsman now. The only drawback is being stuck using 1/4" bits.

John TenEyck
02-18-2016, 3:30 PM
I have the Bosch 1617EV. I use it mostly in my router table. It does adjust from above the table with the included wrench, but I never do because you still have to unlock/lock it from below, and move the coarse adjust release, too, at least until you get in the right range. But that's not a big deal to me. It's about a year old now and has run flawlessly in both the fixed and plunge base. The electronic speed regulation is top notch. The wooden handles are poor IMO compared to many others but not a big deal. What is a big deal is if you want to spin large diameter raised panel bits. The 1617 can handle bits larger than 2-1/2", nearly 2-3/4" IIRC. Not many other routers have that much clearance in the base.

John

Prashun Patel
02-18-2016, 3:48 PM
I have the Bosch 1617. It was my first router. I've put it through its paces (hobbyist) and it has performed like a champ. I love this router. The housing did corrode, but Bosch replaced it and since I've had no issues.

Jim Becker
02-19-2016, 8:34 PM
I've had the DW618 Kit with all three bases for years. While most work gets done with my Festool routers, I really like the DW618 and the D-Handle and Fixed bases are very, very stable for when that's important, such as when using a dovetail jig.