PDA

View Full Version : 9" sanding discs?

Randall Clark
10-06-2009, 11:25 AM
I have a combination freestanding belt sander and 9" disc sander. I am wondering if, instead of ordering the self-adhesive sanding discs, I could use regular sand paper and spray the back with adhesive. I know it would be cheaper, but I wonder if there are any downsides? Maybe, gumming up the metal disc surface? Any body customize their own sanding discs?

Paul Atkins
10-06-2009, 12:06 PM
I've got a 10" disc sander I built in college that I use only 'custom' sanding discs on. Regular sand paper is not big enough so I get ripped wide belt sander belts and cut my own out and use spray adhesive - cheap and works great.

Bruce Wrenn
10-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Here, central NC, Klingspor has a retail shop. I go to sandpaper bin, and get material that is 12"+ wide, and cut my own disks. Spray them with disk adhesive and off to the races. Costs less than $0.50 each this way.

Randall Clark
10-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Do you use paper or cloth backed . . . or does it matter?

Eddie Darby
10-07-2009, 9:38 PM
When you go this route, and you use a paper backed sandpaper, you will save money, but you will be changing the sandpaper all the time.
Spending money on a solid performing disc, and then using a crepe block to keep the sandpaper clean, makes for the best performance, and hassle free long life, along with a good bang for the buck.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=20192&cat=1,42500

Bruce Wrenn
10-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Do you use paper or cloth backed . . . or does it matter?Cloth backed. These come from the ends of rolls of paper, or belts that failed at the joint in their quality control testing.