PDA

View Full Version : Habituated to prison - overnight?

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-06-2009, 8:55 AM
Caught a skunk in a live trap.
Skunks were not the intended subject of the trap.
The skunk is a young one.
The Trap is pretty close to the main entry.

I failed to contemplate this ahead of time so I have a skunk in a trap outside the main entry.
Teachable moment or what?

Anyway I got the thing open after draping it with poly tarp and using a 20' pole, so I'd not get sprayed. It's probably not going to stay open as the 20-foot pole I used to do it is balanced in a bush holding & the door open. It'll only take a stiff breeze to cause the pole to fall and re-engage the trap door.
I anticipate that the skunk will go out when dark falls.
But for now I can see him poking his head around and then curling up in a ball and snoozing.

So I'm thinking what I might do to offend the little critter such that it'll leave but not spray.
Vinegar? Chlorine? Both?
Patience? I've never been a very patient guy.

Doug Shepard
10-06-2009, 9:01 AM
It's time I set another trap as my mutt got sprayed about 4 weeks ago but I've caught and released 2 in the past without any problem. I've been told that they wont spray while in the traps (unless the cage is too tall) as they can't raise their hind end up to zap you. So far anyway, this seemed to be the case with my releases. I just took them to a nearby state park, opened the trap door then stood back a ways until they moseyed out. Then collected the cage and drove home.

Walt Nicholson
10-06-2009, 9:16 AM
We had a family of them take up residence under a small deck. At the advice of neighbors, we tossed some mothballs in the immediate area. They were gone overnight.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-06-2009, 9:21 AM
Moth balls.
If the little feller tain't gone by sunup I'll mosey off to the Ace and get some.

David G Baker
10-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Cliff,
The poly tarp was the smart thing to do, if they can't see you there is a good chance they won't spray. I am surprised that the skunk didn't leave when you opened the door to the trap. I have caught a few in my traps but have always let them go because in spite of what the experts say if you shoot a skunk there is a very high possibility that it will release its perfume a short time later. The smell will stay around for weeks. I have shot a few and when I did I took a post hole digger and buried them at least 3 feet deep underground. I could still smell them a month later in the area of the grave.
Don't know why but I haven't seen or smelled any in my area for a month or so. I stopped feeding the birds, deer and squirrels so the food isn't available any longer so this could be the reason.

Rod Sheridan
10-06-2009, 10:32 AM
My old male cat has befriended the local skunk.

They're often seen wandering the backyards together after dusk.

Then my cat comes home, with the skunk, the skunk drinks out of the fountain, and they part ways.

I've had a couple of phone calls from my neighbours who have reported the two, sitting on their deck.

I swear that Ellington makes friends with everyone/everything. The funny thing is that the skunk isn't worried if I'm sitting on the patio, it comes on the patio with Ellington. I guess if Ellington isn't worried, the skunk isn't worried.

The only thing I worry about is that Ellington will open sliding screen doors if they're not too stiff, and he does that to visit two of my neighbours.

One of these days there will be a black cat in their house, with his black and white friend.

Regards, Rod.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-06-2009, 11:15 AM

Then my cat comes home, with the skunk, the skunk drinks out of the fountain, and they part ways.

Skunks are funny critters.

I had a neighbor in MA with a back yard overlooking some undeveloped woodland. In his back yard there was a sloped boulder. A mother skunk would take her kittens to the boulder and they'd climb it and slide down.
They'd do it over and over again like children would.

Lee Schierer
10-06-2009, 12:00 PM
We had a professional trap some skunks where I used to work. He would throw an old blanket over the traps, pick up the trap with blanket and load them in the back of his pick up truck. He said he had never been sprayed. Just don't bang the trap around as you open the door.

Should you get sprayed, the PA game comission has a formula for eliminating the odor. Skunk Smell no more (http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=458&q=160709&pp=12&n=1)

Note: Tomato juice does not work DAMHIKT.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-06-2009, 12:15 PM
"mix one quart of hydrogen peroxide with a quarter-cup of baking soda and a teaspoon of liquid soap. Apply the mixture to the sprayed area and it will neutralize the skunk’s musky odor."

Good to know.

I have used bleach to good effect but, it's harsh stuff to leave on the skin for any period.

Dan Forman
10-06-2009, 2:18 PM

I've had a couple of phone calls from my neighbours who have reported the two, sitting on their deck.

I swear that Ellington makes friends with everyone/everything. The funny thing is that the skunk isn't worried if I'm sitting on the patio, it comes on the patio with Ellington. I guess if Ellington isn't worried, the skunk isn't worried.

The only thing I worry about is that Ellington will open sliding screen doors if they're not too stiff, and he does that to visit two of my neighbours.

One of these days there will be a black cat in their house, with his black and white friend.

Regards, Rod.

That's funny! I saw a video about a year ago of a cat that befriended/adopted a young crow. They hung out together all summer, and again when the crow returned the next year, IIRC. It was on Youtube.

Dan

Chris Weishaar
10-06-2009, 3:47 PM
"mix one quart of hydrogen peroxide with a quarter-cup of baking soda and a teaspoon of liquid soap. Apply the mixture to the sprayed area and it will neutralize the skunk’s musky odor."

This is an old trappers trick that I was taught. Our current dog has gotten into skunks 3 times so far and this formula works. Be warned however that it doesn't so much neutralize the smell as it releases the smelly oils from what ever it is on. If possible do this outdoors. Unfortunatly the last time the dog got hit was the dead of winter. The smell came right off the dog and into the bathroom shower! The dog smelled fine but the bathroom stunk! We always have a full jar of hydrogen peroxide on hand just in case.

If it ever stops raining here I will take some photos of the fence that we built to skunk proof the yard. It has been quite the adventure of building.

Neal Clayton
10-07-2009, 3:25 AM
That's funny! I saw a video about a year ago of a cat that befriended/adopted a young crow. They hung out together all summer, and again when the crow returned the next year, IIRC. It was on Youtube.

Dan

there was a similar one at a refuge with a dog and an elephant. dog got sick, couldn't get the elephant away from the window of the building the dog was in, elephant would sit there and watch him all day to make sure no one was bothering him.

only question is what happens if the dog gets scared of the people around. don't think i'd want a mad elephant coming to save his buddy charging through the wall.