PDA

View Full Version : Faux Stained Glass

Steve Clarkson
10-05-2009, 10:19 PM
I'm not really one for trying new things.....but I went shopping the other day at Hobby Lobby and wandered down the stained glass isle.

Found this glass paint called Gallery Glass and it came with a bottle of "liquid lead".

My first thought and attempt was to vector cut an intricate pattern onto a sheet of glass covered with masking tape. I weeded out the masking tape and brushed the liquid lead into the holes.....but when I peeled the tape after it had dried, it removed the lead.

My second attempt was to vector engrave the glass (but I actually rastered it) and so it looked like a normal laser etched piece of glass. I then took the liquid lead and basically traced the etched image (the lead actually need to be about 1/8" thick). But the lead lines looked very "bumpy" when I was done. Then I took the various colored Gallery Glass paints (@$2,50 each) and filled in the various sections.....believe it or not, this part actually seemed to even out some of the bumps!

Right now (it takes like 8 hours for these paints to dry) it looks almost like a birthday cake with a very thick "frosting" of paint......but apparently it will dry to a "glass-like" finish. Assuming that happens........this was a very easy way to take an intricate image and turn it into a piece of "faux" stained glass.

I'll try to post pics when it's dry.

Just thought I'd share my latest experiment.

Adam Orton
10-05-2009, 11:54 PM
Kewl!! Thanks Steve I have seen similar products and had planned on trying them out. Always nice to have some wade into the water first..

Joe Pelonio
10-06-2009, 8:01 AM
Many years ago when that stuff first came out I made a lamp using a glass jug, that looked like stained glass. Since then I got into real stained glass and the look of the faux just isn't the same, but it's sure a lot easier and cheaper to do!

David Fairfield
10-06-2009, 8:36 AM
Not too long ago the Epilog newsletter featured real stained glass made using a laser to score the glass bits. Looked very nice and the author was (of course) pretty darn enthused about the time saving & added precision.

I guess another way to simulate stained glass would be to cut the lead part from plywood or whatever, and then cut the glass bits from colored plexi, and glue 'em into the holes.

Don't know who'd buy such a thing but it could be something for custom home decor. Some Victorian homes had a stained glass window here or there, like over the front door. I expect it would be horrifically expensive to get one done the old fashioned way.

Dave

Martin Boekers
10-06-2009, 1:30 PM
Steve, you could do this with Magic Touch transfer as it does adhere to glass and acrylic. Then outline it with the lead.

Or you could do it with Crystal Magic type product that uses the UV cure also.

The key to this is when designing your image is to give it some form of a texture to help with the faux effect.

Marty

Randy Digby
10-06-2009, 1:36 PM
Steve, what were your settings for lasering the "lead" lines, if you don't mind sharing? Also, do you use the wet paper towel practice described in other posts today?

After reading your first post this morning, I stopped by Michaels and got a couple fo paints and the lead in a tube stuff along with a couple of small, cheap mirros to play with. I figured I would get some glass cut after I get the process down.

Having a new laser is very time consuming, with having to try all the things the Creek crew comes up with :-).

Randy Digby
10-06-2009, 3:08 PM
OOPS! Just had a newbie brain ache...Can I engrave the front side of a mirror or would that be a big, reflective, mistake?

Martin Boekers
10-06-2009, 3:34 PM
You can, you get a double image of it's own reflection.

JDS sell a Black mirror which is nice for front engraving.

Marty

Steve Clarkson
10-06-2009, 4:03 PM
Randy.....it's not too important what settings you use......you just need the mark to appear so that you can apply the liquid lead.....then just paint by numbers. I don't actually CUT the lead. And I use dish soap only when engraving glass.

This thing is taking FOREVER to dry......but it's starting to look nice.....the frosting thick paint is getting sparkly clear.....just VERRRRY slowly.