PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic resaw problem

Chris Brault
10-05-2009, 9:38 PM
I have the 14" model and added the 6" riser to it. On a 11 and 1/2" resaw cut I'm a 1/4" off. If I set the fence at 3/8, I'm 3/8 at bottom of piece and 7/8 at top. Probably about 1/8 " around 6" resaw depth. Would you just set the table to match with that much difference? That will make the table more unlevel-- pitching down towards the front of the machine. Or could it be broke loose (top of machine above riser block) of should it (lol!!) be broke loose and tried to be fixed correctly. I'm a little sheepish doing that because me and my friend had a heck of a time getting things lined up in the first place,, but obviously we didn't have it lined up too well! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bill Huber
10-05-2009, 9:42 PM
Is the blade at a 90 degree angle to the table right now?

That has to be the first thing to check.

Phil Thien
10-05-2009, 10:25 PM
What are you using for a resaw fence? My resaw fence is about 2/3 the maximum resaw height of my saw.

I simply move the fence up to the blade, and adjust the table until the fence is parallel to the blade.

David Christopher
10-05-2009, 10:35 PM
insted of moving your table, shim your fence

Tom Hintz
10-06-2009, 2:12 AM
Adjusting the table to be sure it is square to the blade is easy on that saw so I would start there as you need that right for any cut. Then, make sure that the resaw fence is square to the table and blade.

Jeff Monson
10-06-2009, 12:31 PM
I installed the riser block on my pm saw and had nothing but problems getting things lined up, after some searching here on smc, I found these blocks are not drilled correctly, I drilled out the hole in the riser block (for the locating pin) to a larger size and reinstalled the block, I was then able to get my wheels coplaner and my blade set 90 degrees to the table in both directions. Resawing has dramatically improved and that sounds like your issue to me.

Tom Hintz
10-06-2009, 1:46 PM
I installed the riser block on my pm saw and had nothing but problems getting things lined up, after some searching here on smc, I found these blocks are not drilled correctly, I drilled out the hole in the riser block (for the locating pin) to a larger size and reinstalled the block, I was then able to get my wheels coplaner and my blade set 90 degrees to the table in both directions. Resawing has dramatically improved and that sounds like your issue to me.

There was a problem with alignment of the riser pins early on but Powermatic caught that and from then on the risers were made differently to fix that issue. If this one is old stock, it could have that alignment issue but it is worth checking elsewhere if the wheels appear to be lined up reasonbly well.