PDA

View Full Version : What Brown Did for Me.

Jason Roehl
09-20-2004, 9:45 PM
Well, I HAD to get a new chainsaw. I wasn't planning to do this for a few years, but some thievery expedited the purchase. So, after some cost-of-replacement insurance, and a few extra buck (ok, more than a few), I have upgraded from a 20" Pooplan and a 16" Stihl to...a Husky 372XP. I saw on several websites that it is the top-selling Husky model to loggers/arborists/tree-trimmers, or "the pros." I got it with the 20" bar, but should the need ever arise, I can also get a 28" bar (max recommended), or some say it will run a 32" also. UPS was very cool on this delivery. I was at work today, and SWMBO was gone, so we got the usual "Missed You" notice from the driver. Well, after she got back home, she went up-town to get the mail and ran into the UPS driver. He was nice enough to re-deliver today. She was still 2 blocks away when he started to make the 2nd delivery attempt, so he just had her sign it there, then proceeded to our house to drop it off.

Oh, yeah, here's a pic.

Greg Tatum
09-20-2004, 9:57 PM
That's my kinda tool, Jason...I'm partial to Husqy myself....it was my first "real" saw ;) .....treat it well with good routine maintainance and it should do you well for many years.

Greg

Jim Becker
09-20-2004, 10:18 PM
I really like orange for outdoor tools...Kubota, Stihl, Husqi! Nice purchase!

And when you get a few extra bucks, do order a longer bar and a couple chains to have on hand...it sure doesn't take very long to switch them! If my Stihl were a little more powerful, that's exactly what I'd do. One saw...multiple bars to suit the job at hand.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-20-2004, 10:22 PM
I'm with Jim and you on this one! Stihl.....Husky!......A Pro model.....you should be happy! Congrats!

Jason Roehl
09-21-2004, 9:19 AM
Greg, this does look like the cat's meow (lion's roar?) when it comes to chainsaws. Highest power-to-weight ratio of all of Husqy's powerheads.

Jim, I've done pretty well with a 20" bar in the past. I didn't care for a 16", because it was too hard on my back to bend over that extra few inches. But, there have been a few times I could have used a bigger bar, so now I'm only about $120 or so away from a 28" or 32" bar and chain.

Ken, :D :D :D .

I'll let you guys know what I think once I run it. Oh, btw, it came with a navy blue Husqy/Nascar hat for free from SW Fastener & Supply (they did a great job with the order).

Jim Becker
09-21-2004, 9:24 AM
You might be able to cut that $128 down via Bailey's...I've really gotten great prices on chain loops from them and they have a large variety of bar choices to fit almost any saw. I do fine with my 18" bard on the Stihl .029 Farm Boss, but there have been a few timees that a longer bar and more power would have been nice for cutting up very large chunks of turning stock, such as the nice box elder that Tom Sweeny graciously dropped off one day... :D

Christian Aufreiter
09-21-2004, 9:28 AM
Very nice tool, Jason. I have to get one of those saws, too. But first I should find a couple of trees ... :rolleyes:

Regards,

Christian

Boyd Gathwright
09-22-2004, 9:51 AM
Hi Jason,

…. I, too, have a Husqvarna saw. Mine turns about twelve (12000) thousand RPM, a real screamer. It does a real good job, especially with a good sharp chain, just like going through warm butter. I have always favored HUSQVARNA and have been told they have fewer moving parts than a STIHL. So I would think that would make them a little more reliable, stands to reason fewer moving parts to go wrong. If I had to, the STIHL would most likely be my second (2) choice. Years ago, before I bought my saw, Husqvarna had a problem with leaking oil; but since that was corrected they have steadily become rather popular. I usually use a file when I am deep in the woods, about three (3) swipes per tooth does it and at some point I usually true-up the chain with a bench-held electric grinder that keeps the blade from cutting to the left or right side.

…. That’s a nice saw you have there and it should last close to a lifetime, unless, of course, you run it to death, Ha! Ha! About the only thing I can suggest to you is, Your saw has plenty of power, Be Safe, keep both hands firm on it and watch where the blade is, things happen QUICK.

…. Nice piece of equipment and I wish you the best with it.

Boyd ;)

Well, I HAD to get a new chainsaw. I wasn't planning to do this for a few years, but some thievery expedited the purchase. So, after some cost-of-replacement insurance, and a few extra buck (ok, more than a few), I have upgraded from a 20" Pooplan and a 16" Stihl to...a Husky 372XP. I saw on several websites that it is the top-selling Husky model to loggers/arborists/tree-trimmers, or "the pros." I got it with the 20" bar, but should the need ever arise, I can also get a 28" bar (max recommended), or some say it will run a 32" also. UPS was very cool on this delivery. I was at work today, and SWMBO was gone, so we got the usual "Missed You" notice from the driver. Well, after she got back home, she went up-town to get the mail and ran into the UPS driver. He was nice enough to re-deliver today. She was still 2 blocks away when he started to make the 2nd delivery attempt, so he just had her sign it there, then proceeded to our house to drop it off.

Oh, yeah, here's a pic.

Jason Roehl
09-23-2004, 12:04 AM
Boyd, thanks for the reminder. I already have quite a few hours behind different chainsaws. I've already got all the sharpening stuff (they didn't take that)--from files and jigs to the HF grinder. I probably do a few things with a chainsaw that most wouldn't, but I am comfortable with those techniques. Maybe those will change with this saw being larger, heavier and definitely more powerful than what I have used in the past. With the decompression valve on this thing, I may even quit drop-starting. :eek:

Greg Heppeard
09-23-2004, 8:59 AM
Nice saw, I'm sure you'll put it thru it's paces. I was wondering, tho, how do you turn a pen with that thing???? :eek:

James Carmichael
09-23-2004, 9:51 AM
Now that's a tool. Enjoy and be careful!

Jason Roehl
09-23-2004, 10:52 AM
Nice saw, I'm sure you'll put it thru it's paces. I was wondering, tho, how do you turn a pen with that thing???? :eek:
Greg, that's a dangerous suggestion--don't tempt me to try!! :eek: :cool: :D

BTW, Jim, I checked out the first Bailey's I could find online. I didn't care for their website--much of the info was too vague to determine which bar would go with which saw, and which chain to use. I'm partial to a square chisel tooth, round-filed, with standard rakers (non-low-kickback, basically pro chain), although this was definitely a little too aggressive on my 20" Poulan--it would bog down the engine even under just the weight of the saw. I don't anticipate the same problem with similar chain on the Husqy.