PDA

View Full Version : Metal cutting on bandsaw?

Harvey Crouch
10-05-2009, 3:16 PM
Is there any reason that I can't put a metal cutting blade on a standard bandsaw and cut thin metal?

Dave Sweeney
10-05-2009, 3:18 PM
I wouldn't do it unless your bandsaw has a way that you can change the speed. Metal cutting bandsaws generally run at a much slower speed than those made for sawing wood.

Bruce Page
10-05-2009, 3:30 PM
Works fine for non-ferrous metals.
I cut a lot of aluminum and brass on my old 14" Delta using a regular wood cutting skip tooth blade. Other than the mess, it worked just fine.

Joe Scharle
10-05-2009, 4:37 PM
Aluminum, brass and plastic are OK. And for some reason I don't know, if you put clear packing tape over the cut line the blade runs cooler. Really obvious when cutting plastics. Eliminates re-welding behind the blade.

Howard Acheson
10-05-2009, 5:54 PM
You can cut non-ferrous metals just fine using a high tooth count blade. You can cut ferrous metals if you can slow down the speed of the blade.

Harvey Crouch
10-05-2009, 6:05 PM
Thanks for the responses. I knew I could count on this forum for good advise. Actually it is my wife who wants to cut (on my bandsaw) some sheet copper for jewelry. Based on the replies, I will let her give it a try.

Jason Beam
10-05-2009, 6:13 PM
Make sure you close up the throat so the sheet stuff is VERY well supported right there at the point the blade contacts - it can pull down pretty hard and if your sheet isn't rigid enough, there could be some nasty surprises!

Rob Hermann
10-05-2009, 6:15 PM
If it is very thin stock it sometimes helps to cut it on a peice of plywood or other scrap for better support right at the cut too. Have fun and be careful.

John McClanahan
10-05-2009, 6:35 PM
The copper may want to clog the gullets of the blade. If it does, it will make a lousy cut. A blade brush would help. A plywood backer board under the copper may help clean off the blade.

John

mickey cassiba
10-05-2009, 7:45 PM
Also make sure you clean the tires. Metal chips and plastic/rubber tires make for a bumpy ride...will also void warranty if you still have one.
Mickey