PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas/photos on hand plane storage

Kent A Bathurst
10-05-2009, 2:48 PM
I have a dozen + handplanes, from small Stanley block (6-1/2") to a Bailey #6 (18"). Block planes, bench planes, specialty (scraper, scraper plane, router plane, shoulder plane). I would like to think that is all I'll ever have, but no guarantees.

I want to make a storage unit for them. On the wall, no cabinet, etc., just there on the wall. In my mind I would like to have them sorta angled, with the plane beds to the wall and the handle sticking out, so it will be a "grab-and-go" type of thing.

Any suggestions/ideas out there?

John Harden
10-05-2009, 6:50 PM
Here in SoCal we don't get much humidity, so I store them out in the open. Recently, I built this plane rack from a design in (I think) American or Popular woodworking. Its the cover project, so the issue should be easy to find. It's one from the last 6 months or so. I made it larger to accommodate all the planes.

In any event, I made it out of maple and used exposed screws to hold the horizontal slats and mahogany for the plane "shelves". Each shelf has 1/8" thick mahogany lip (or trim) glued to 2-3 sides to keep the planes from sliding off.

Came out real nice and it keeps them handy right next to the bench.

Can't remember if the plans suggest it or not, but make and use a spacer jig to ensure the distance between the slats is precise. This allows for each shelf to be moved around and they always fit perfectly.

Not sure if this is what you had in mind, but it should at least give you some ideas.

Regards,

John

Kent A Bathurst
10-05-2009, 7:16 PM
Nicely done, John!! Impressive.

I wasn't thinking that direciton, but I really didn't know what would work - but this would work great. Esp for "future expansion". Now I know what "plane envy" is. Perfect answer for the "oddball size" of the #71 router I see there, and the shoulder plane as well.

Thanks - I notice you took those shots today - much appreciated.

2 quesitons: Boeshield T-9 - do you use that on your planes? I've been nervous about that - use camellia oil on mine. Also 3d row from the bottom, second in from the right - what is that?

John Harden
10-05-2009, 8:35 PM
Kent, that's an antique Stanley, #12 Veneer scraper. Basically, it's a scraper with a large iron body, handles for leverage, and an adjustable pitch mechanism to change the angle of the scaper. Pretty slick and I got it for like $40 at an antique store. They had no idea what it was. Minor gloat. :D

I had to pause in making shelves, so there's about a half dozen planes waiting for a home up there. I'll eventually get around to it.

Yeah, I use the Boeshield on the planes. Pretty much the body, mechanism and sides and not so much on the bottom. As you know, this stuff works fantastic to prevent corrosion and create a moisture barrier. I tend to use wax on the bottom of the plane.

You're welcome for the pictures. I hope it helps you with your thinking on how to store them. This works well for me as it only stands about 6" or so away from the wall with the planes and it keeps them all at the ready, making it more likely I'll reach for them on a project.

I really like the furniture grade tool storage people make, but I was in a hurry and this was a quick weekend project. The shelves took another weekend to make. My one consideration to making it "nice" was to use quality woods. I particularly like the contrast between the maple and mahogany.

Regards,

John